main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “So Say We All.” - The Battlestar Galactica Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Also the characters name is amiss, but his call sign is : "Helo"

Karl C. Agathon is his name. But Helo just sounds so cool.

I was hoping they'd bring him back; he was one of my favorites from the mini.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, he was a cool character.

I didn't see the second episode because I don't get the scifi channel and I had to head home. I'll see it soon, it was taped.

I doubt it'll be as good as B5. Not that I'm saying it won't be good but it's hard to reach that level.

I donno, it's getting up there for me. I'm going to have to see how the story plays out, but it's definently up there for me. Now, is it as good as Firefly, that's the question.

3. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Civil War ahead anyone.. it sure smells like it. With 6 and her attatchment to the Dr., and the Cylons who don't know they are one, attatchment to thier lovers.. Suich as the asian girl with the the chief engineer..She almost went cold and "switched off" into another mode at the end of 'Water' and then just left abruptly atfer kissin him with her face emotionless and walking like she ahd a purpose.. I like it.

Same thing I was thinking. Could it be that the human Cylons will all be destroyed once humanity is wiped out? After all, the human Cylons look a LOT like humans, and wouldn't have a reason to exist, from a pure efficiency POV.

Edit: Also, is anybody thinking that maybe Baltir is actually a Cylon? His survival seems VERY improbable.

And, by 12 Cylon models - are there 12 different-looking models, or 12 types (human, guard-bot, fightercraft, ...), or 12 human Cylons? Or is it just a bogus fact?

Finally - How much of what Gaius knows/sense does the 6 in his head know/sense?

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that it means that there's multiple copies of the same person running around. I also wonder if there's a 'real' person that each is based off of.

5. Harabec

Apr 28, 2001
    If there isn't an original human template for each human model, then they did an impressive job of crafting false backgrounds and credentials -- the PR guy (Doral) who was revealed as a Cylon in the miniseries certainly couldn't have gotten access to Galactica's command center without passing a thorough background check.

But, they did have 40 years to plan their surprise attack, so it's not as though they didn't have the time to fabricate entire people's lives.

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, and Sharon said that her family died a long time ago, so I wonder if they grow as well, from children.

7. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    boomer=hot

I really liked bopth the mini series and the first 2 episodes. Ron moore is the main guy behind galactica. I think he is the strongest of the trek writters. He is the guy that created the modern version of the klingons and he also had a hand in creating the dominion.

8. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    I taped the miniseries yesterday and watched it after i got back from work and was very impressed. Even thouhg i knew some of what happened from reading this thread (Boomer=cylon), the ending with the reporter being a cylon completely caught me off guard. I'm going to start watching 33 today before class, and from the sound of things i won't be disappointed.

9. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I wonder if the reporter will return. I haven't seen him in any summaries

10. Harabec

Apr 28, 2001
    He'll be showing back up. You know how snoopy reporters are.

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    lol!

Battlestar Galactica: 102: Water

The second episode in the New Battlestar Galactica series has a very different feel than that of the first episode, which is somewhat relieving. While singlular episodes that are fairly depressing are good, other episodes mixed in will be good. Not to say that this episode isn't as dark as the first, it just takes on a different form.
    Sharon Valiri wakes up soaking wet in her quarters, not remembering what happened. She opens her bag and finds a detonator. She goes to Tyrol, her boyfriend, and explains her concerns, that she's gotten missing memories and suddenly has a detonator. Meanwhile, President Roslin is on board for some ceremony while the Galactica transfers some water to a civilian ship. While this is happening, there's several explosions, and the fleet is suddenly faced with a massive water shortage. Adama sends out people to look for water in surrounding systems, and Tyrol and his crew go to the water takes to take a look at what happened. 5 explosives had been placed. Sharon her crew find a moon with some water on it, and Roslin and Apollo talk about the destruction of a civilian ship, the Olympic Carrier, that Lee was forced to destroy. She askes him to be her military adviser, because she knows almost nothing about the military.
    This episode was just as good, if a little different than the first. There are multiple storylines playing out. The first and main story, the water shortage, will lead to the 3rd episode, where the government staff will be tasking a ship full of prisoners to mine for water, when they revolt. The second storyline is with Sharon, and the fact that she is a Cylon. Number three is with Helo and the other Sharon on Caprica, trying to escape the Cylons there. Story four is with Baltar working to hide the fact that he doesn't have a Cylon detector.
    Story One is the most important to the episode, and it shows some interesting things with the show that really haven't been done before. We see a panel, where various characters have conducted studies regarding their current status, which is something that I don't think that I've seen before in Sci-Fi. The Galactica's problems are numerous, faced with shortages of water, but also food, eventually. The episode also opened up space a little, and shows how mobile and sort of crowded space is, as the Raptor teams are send out to find water. The mention of X-Ray telescopes is interesting.
    Sharon's part of the story is also very interesting. She's obviously the one who planted the explosives, probably soaking after actually swimming in the tanks, and still doesn't know what happened. I would bet that she was 'activated' when the Olympic Carrier came close and Apollo had her talk to the crew, telling them to turn back. Later, she urges Tyrol not to say anything, because either she still believes that she's human, or she's just playing the role. Later, she almost blows herself up in the Raptor, when she finds water, but manages not to. I think that she's also fighting her programming a little bit.
    The Helo Storyline is also interesting, because we see another Sharon there. This part is fairly short though, and we see that there is definently something between Helo and Boomer, as she supposedly came back to rescue him. Now, they're looking for other survivors. This will definently play out more. The total content of Helo's storyline will probably amount to a single episode, and I've seen some people and websites complain about this, but Helo's storyline can't be restricted to a single episode, in the middle of the season, because people would wonder where he came from and generally be confused. This way, it's a subplot that doesn't take too much time, and takes us off of Galactica.
    Finally, it seems that Dr. Baltar's Amazing Cylon Detector doesn't work, and really doesn't exist. He can't tell Adama, because he'd be punished, and Adama takes his reluctance to talk much to mean that he needs more help and assigns a staff, Lt. Gaeta, to help him. A commercial showed Baltar asking Adama for a nuclear warhea

12. Solo42986

Nov 4, 2002
    While I agree that the camera movements for the action scenes are good, the jerky/rapid movements (like during the meeting where Balthar is assigned the aid) just make it look as if the camera operator has had too much caffein and can't keep his hand still.

13. Harabec

Apr 28, 2001
    The unsteady camera is meant to give it a documentary feel; it's only irritating if you're paying attention to it and wondering how long it's been since the cameraman shot up.

14. Solo42986

Nov 4, 2002
    I guess I fall into the latter category then :p

15. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    I just watched the Mini-Series DVD and the first episode 33 back to back, and boy is it depressing :( I still think it is a great addition to my weekly TV watching.

16. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I like the camera movements.

17. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    The second episode in the New Battlestar Galactica series has a very different feel than that of the first episode, which is somewhat relieving. While singlular episodes that are fairly depressing are good, other episodes mixed in will be good. Not to say that this episode isn't as dark as the first, it just takes on a different form.

Probably because they had two different directors and writers. Which is probably why there was none of that camera stuff happening in water, or did it? I can't really remember if it was doing it in Water.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It was because of two different directors. The first episode and miniseries had very similar camera stuff, although the 2nd episode had many similarities. The thing is in Water, there was some more abstract camera work, expecially in that first scene.

19. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The ratings are in:

Galactica Scores Big Ratings

The two-hour Jan. 14 premiere of SCI FI Channel's original series Battlestar Galactica was the number-one cable program on that date in key demographics and ranked as the highest-rated January show in the network's history. Galactica ranked first among adults aged 25-54 and 18-49 and men aged 25-54, 18-49 and 18-34. The show earned a 2.6 household rating (3.1 million viewers), ranking second among all cable programs.

Galactica was also SCI FI's highest-rated first-quarter series telecast ever and its second highest-rated series telecast ever, behind only Stargate Atlantis' series premiere in summer 2004.

Galactica delivered 2.2 million viewers aged 25-54 and 1.9 million among those aged 18-49. The show won a decisive victory over UPN's Star Trek: Enterprise, outperforming its new episode in total viewers, among adults 25-54 (2.2 million vs. 1.7 million) and 18-49 (1.9 million vs. 1.5 million). Among men 25-54, Galactica delivered 1.5 million viewers, beating 16 of the top 20 programs on the six broadcast networks, including CSI: Miami, JAG and Fox's premiere of Jonny Zero.

Battlestar Galactica moves to its regular timeslot on Jan. 21, joining SCI FI's Friday-night lineup of original programming, "SCI FI Fridays." Galactica will air Fridays at 10 p.m. ET/PT, following Stargate SG-1 at 8p.m. and Stargate Atlantis at 9 p.m.
    ~The SciFiWire

20. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    New Episode tonight, Bastille Day. This one brings in Richard Hatch as a political terrorist who's a prisoner. He leads a rebellion on the prison ship and holds Lee hostage.

I've really been looking forwards to this one.

21. Harabec

Apr 28, 2001
    A very special "My Two Apollos"...

It does look like a good one. Here's to hoping that the ratings stay consistent (or better yet, go up), because the ratings today and next Friday are going to really play into the decision on Feb. 1st whether or not to order a second season.

22. Barking_Spider

Barking_Spider Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2005
    I've read some really bad reviews on Richard Hatch's performance. But I'll watch for myself.

[face_skull]

23. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999
    The show tonight is good so far, and I don't see anything wrong with Hatch's performance. He seems to be playing the role of a terrorist mastermind rather well; subdued yet dangerous.

24. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Yeah, I'm watching it myself, and he seems to be doing pretty well.

He's not going to win any awards, but this shows he can play more than just the Apollo character from the original.

-P!-

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I really liked Hatch's performance actually- I'm glad they didn't kill him either, so he can show up again down the road.