main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “So Say We All.” - The Battlestar Galactica Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 13, 2005.

1. James_Sunderland

James_Sunderland Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    I really liked it! It was a lot like 24, but the characters were great. I especially enjoyed the Apollo, "Apollo" Starbuck triangle thing towards the end.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Loved this ep:

Episode 103: Bastille Day

This is an episode that I?ve been waiting to see for quite some time. Gateworld.net posted up several images before, showing some Galactica soldiers in black, SWAT-like uniforms. It got me excited, because for once, Science Fiction is actually doing accurate military stuff. It?s about time.
    This episode takes place just after Water, where a water moon is found, although the only stuff that?s drinkable is the ice, which will have to be mined. Lee, Adama and Roslin remember the Prisoners. They decide that if they work and mine the ice, they will be let free. The prisoners, on the other hand, have other ideas, and with the help of a prison guard, they are let out and take Lee, Callie, Dee and Billy hostage, while a well-known prisoner, Tom Zarek, makes demands. The president must resign, and formal elections should take place. The Galactica sends three units of special marines and Starbuck to take out Zarek, and to free the prisoners. Callie is about to be raped, but after biting off her attacker?s ear, she creates enough of a distraction for Lee to grab a gun and to put it at Zarek?s head. He tells Zarek that he won?t get the bloodbath that he wanted to gain sympathy. He tells him that he?s going to help them mine the ice, and that they will be freed, and that elections would be held. They then leave the ship.
    This episode was great. More than the previous two have, it breaks some of the tension and brings some humor into it. There are several great moments where characters make fun of each other, or utter some great lines.

Tigh: (To Boxey) Where?s your mother?
    Boxey: She?s dead. Where?s yours?

There are several others that lighten up some points in it as well, but what did even more was the scenes on Caprica, where Helo and Sharon reach a city on planet. The producers did some outstanding lighting effects, bathing the entire scene in a great yellow, reminiscent of Pitch Black in some places. It was a welcome change from the dark grays on the ships and other things.
    What really blew me away was the military response to the hostage-taking. After the people are locked up, the Galactica sends in three teams, Alpha, Bravo and Constellation, which was a plus. Alpha and Bravo are company names that are used. Constellation is not, but it certainly fits with the universe. But the way that they actually got onto the ship, landing Raptors on the ship, cutting their way in and taking down former prisoners was great to see, especially when they actually moved and responded like real soldiers. It?s something that just hasn?t really been well done in Sci-Fi TV. Stargate has been getting better at their military tactics, but for a show to go right off the bat is outstanding. Plus, they got the uniforms right, the weapons right, pretty much everything there.
    Tom Zarek is a very cool new character, played by Richard Hatch, the original Apollo from the first Battlestar Galactica. His character is a political terrorist. Like several other elements in the show, this is one thing that really resonates in a post-9-11 era. He?s got tremendous support from some people, hatred from others and is a fairly complex character. As Lee finds out, he?s not interested in his demands, but as Lee put it, ?Has been out of the news for 20 years,? and wants to go out in a Blaze of Glory, by provoking the Galactica?s soldiers into shooting the prisoners. Lee is able to stop it, and to turn the tables entirely.
    Several other characters have had a little more limelight, namely Callie, Dee and Billy, who are all taken prisoner. Callie is one of the characters that I haven?t really paid much attention to, who is kind of in the background most of the time. However, in this episode, she?s taken prisoner, mouths of to some of her captors and is nearly raped. He bites her captor?s ear off, and is shot. Something I never would have expected. Billy and Dee have been forming their own little relationship since the miniseries, and we can see that they?re two very different people, especially where Tom Zarek is

3. James_Sunderland

Jan 7, 2005
    ^So is Caprica really downtown Toronto?

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I don't know, I've never been there.

Review from Now Playing Magazine:

Battlestar Galactica - ?Bastille Day?
    Written by Scott Collura

Friday, 21 January 2005

Richard Hatch returns to the Battlestar Galactica universe tonight in a special guest shot appearance, but it?s a very different universe from the one he inhabited on the original series in 1978. And the character he plays is about as far removed as can be from the actor?s noble Captain Apollo, the lead on the old series. Hatch also gets to show off his acting abilities more in tonight?s single segment than he did in the entire run of the original show, and I can?t think of a performer more deserving of the chance to show us what he?s capable of after all the years of devotion that he has shown to the franchise.

The Galactica fleet has located a water source on a frozen moon, but disaster still looms unless Commander Adama and his crew can figure out how to mine the planetoid for its desperately needed H2O. Lee Adama comes up with the idea of utilizing the convicts onboard the fleet?s prison ship for the hard labor required, but he encounters a major obstacle to this goal in the person of Hatch?s political prisoner Tom Zarek. Freedom fighter to some, terrorist to others, Zarek has been incarcerated for decades, and he?s gained the loyalty of his fellow inmates. Rather than go along with Lee?s plan, the prisoners follow Zarek?s lead and stage an uprising onboard the prison vessel. It falls to Commander Adama and President Roslin to negotiate with the notorious Zarek and figure out a way to prevent a massacre.

Hatch plays most of his scenes opposite Jamie Bamber?s Lee Adama; it?s appropriate enough, and seeing the two Apollos go head to head is great. And while Bamber?s version of the character is far from the wholesome do-gooder of the original show ? he was downright unlikable in the miniseries ? Hatch?s Zarek isn?t easily qualified as a bad guy either. He?s been compared to Nelson Mandela by the show?s creators for his political activism, which apparently turned to violent uprising at some point in the character?s backstory, and Hatch is excellent as the conflicted man. Zarek has little left aside from bloodshed and death at this point in his life.

Interestingly, it?s Lee who very well might be able to save Zarek from himself, just as it?s Zarek who brings to attention a valid point concerning the makeshift government that humanity has pieced together since the Cylon holocaust. If President Roslin is simply finishing out her late predecessor?s term of office, then doesn?t it follow that new elections should be held when that term ends in seven months? And if new elections are not held, then is Roslin truly president? And why should the people follow her?

The analogy is clear and is consistent with one of Galactica?s thematic through-lines. Did America not face a similar crisis on 9/11, and did Americans not follow the lead of a president who many had seen as not even being legitimately elected? It?s subtle, but executive producer Ron Moore?s Battlestar Galactica is one of the only dramas on television that?s actually commenting on the war on terror and the effect that 9/11 has had on our country. A-

And a talk with Richard Hatch:

Old School Apollo Talks New School Galactica
    Written by Scott Collura

Friday, 21 January 2005

The new Battlestar Galactica series premiered to record-breaking ratings last week, not to mention critical acclaim, but one segment of the audience remains unmoved by the new show. They, of course, are the fans of the original Galactica, and at one time they were led in their protests by none other than Richard Hatch, star of the 1978 rendition.

Hatch, who had worked for years trying to mount a sequel to the original, wasn?t too happy at first when he heard about executive producer Ron Moore?s new ?re-imagined? version. But now, he?s guest starring in tonight?s episode in a role written especially for him by Moore. So how did he get from there to here?

?What I appre

5. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999
    How well does this show have to do to get a second season? It's apparently already doing well for a sci-fi channel show. Not that it means anything in decision making (see FarScape).

Have they shown all of the human Cylon models? I was wondering if maybe they were holding out showing them all in hopes that they might get a celebrity guest star to make an appearance as one.

While it's a long shot that they will be able to get the actor if they take such an approach as he is above TV for the most part, I think they should try to get Christopher Walken as a human cylon of Lucifer.

6. Barking_Spider

Barking_Spider Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2005
    is there going to one review of that show that doesn't bring up 9/11? they're starting to sound like the friggin' republican national convention or something as many times as they bring it up for something that really isn't all that allogorical to to 9/11 when you think about it.

richard hatch was excellent, btw. i hope to see more of that character in the future.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I think they should try to get Christopher Walken as a human cylon of Lucifer<<

That'd be awesome...I wonder if we'll start seeing a reimagined Lucifer-type Cylon in the future as we start to delve more into Cylon society?

8. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Have they shown all of the human Cylon models? I was wondering if maybe they were holding out showing them all in hopes that they might get a celebrity guest star to make an appearance as one.

I think they havent shown all of the Cylon models yet, because they want suspense for the Cylon detector. Its so that when the people in the show suspect someone of being a Cylon, the audience doesnt know if they are a Cylon or not. Like in the mini-series, when Baltar said that one guy was a Cylon, I know that I thought he wasnt actually a Cylon, and then we later find out he is.

I really doubt its because they're holding out for a celebrity guest star.

9. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    The analogy is clear and is consistent with one of Galactica?s thematic through-lines. Did America not face a similar crisis on 9/11, and did Americans not follow the lead of a president who many had seen as not even being legitimately elected? It?s subtle, but executive producer Ron Moore?s Battlestar Galactica is one of the only dramas on television that?s actually commenting on the war on terror and the effect that 9/11 has had on our country. A-

What the friggin....

The two situations are nothing alike. America did not face a similar crisis at all, elections were never in question, as they were years away.

This Scott Collura should be beaten with a stupid stick. It would have to help.

-P!-

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    How well does this show have to do to get a second season? It's apparently already doing well for a sci-fi channel show. Not that it means anything in decision making

Farscape was cancelled because it got low ratings. It was moved to a later timeslot. Stupid move, but I think that they've learned from it.

As for the reviewer, I don't really think that he was on the dot, but Zarek as a terrorist resounded a little more, IMO.

11. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999
    A little off topic, but I get the vibe that the gorgeous women in this show are not the kind that would be interested in or even watch this show were it not their source of income.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    My opinion of the senior Adama and the President went down because of last night's episodes. As long as it's well within their capabilities to conduct elections, delaying or cancelling the democratic process is completely unacceptable. Apollo was right; the President should only serve out the remainder of her predecessor's term. Had she not agreed... well, it'd be weird to have the Secretary of Education as a dictator. :p

13. James_Sunderland

Jan 7, 2005
    I wonder if Lee will take over the role of the President, if Roslin's character is killed off?

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yay! Then they'll have a military dictatorship instead of a civilian one! To be president, Apollo would have to resign from the military and either be appointed as vice president or elected.

15. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Sooo...does the episode 13 air on monday for UKers?

16. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    I think when Apollo brought up the point about elections coming along in seven months anyway, the President simply had an "oh duh..." moment, and Adama simply likes disagreeing with his son. :p

-P!-

17. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    last nights epsiode was awesome. I liked the characters a lot. I think lee is an exceptionaly strong character. I also like the contrast between him and starbuck. Lee had the chance to kill the terrorist, but instead negotiated a peacefull solution. Starbuck tried to shot him, even though he wasn't a thret any more at that moment.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    My opinion of the senior Adama and the President went down because of last night's episodes. As long as it's well within their capabilities to conduct elections, delaying or cancelling the democratic process is completely unacceptable. Apollo was right; the President should only serve out the remainder of her predecessor's term. Had she not agreed... well, it'd be weird to have the Secretary of Education as a dictator.
    Well, they are under different circumstances for elections. I would probably say be concerned with escaping first, then worry about government.

I wonder if Lee will take over the role of the President, if Roslin's character is killed off?

-Yay! Then they'll have a military dictatorship instead of a civilian one! To be president, Apollo would have to resign from the military and either be appointed as vice president or elected.

Nope, someone else will be.

Sooo...does the episode 13 air on monday for UKers?

It should be, unless they're holding it back for some reason. Can't wait to see what happens in it.

19. James_Sunderland

Jan 7, 2005
    That hot Cylon chick will end up as President, because all the guys will vote for her!

20. Barking_Spider

Barking_Spider Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2005
    ^ while you might have been joking

you actually hit on something there

maybe they will elect some cylon president

that would be funny as all hell

[face_skull]

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Farscape was cancelled because it got low ratings.<<

Actually it was cancelled because it wasn't gaining or losing ratings- just holding steady, but unfortunately cost more to produce than the newly acquried SG-1 did and SG-1 did better in the ratings.

Still a stupid move. It led to the past few years of sheer crap from Scifi like Tremors: The Series. Thankfully they seem to be starting to recover with the Scifriday lineup.

22. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    I'm a bit confused about ranks and branches of service on the show. There seems to be an odd mix of naval and army nomenclature. Tigh seems to be Adama's second in command, but doesn't he technically outrank him? Tigh's a colonel, equivalent to a naval captain, which is a rank above commander.

Then there's starbuck and apollo. They're both naval pilots, but they apparently have army ranks. Though the back of starbuck's helmet in this episdoe has the double bars of either an army captain or a naval lieutenant (the rank she's described as having on the show). Maybe this means she's a flight lieutenant, and apollo is a group captain (using RAF ranks). But then that would mean he too would outrank his dad.

Yeah, I know it's a nitpicky point to bring up, but I'm bored. And this doesn't mean I don't like the show. I think it's great, and it's nice to have one more show to look forward to during the week. After Angel was finished, I hadn't found anything worthwhile until now. :p

Glaine ár gcroí. Neart ár ngéag. Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar.

23. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm a bit confused about ranks and branches of service on the show. There seems to be an odd mix of naval and army nomenclature. Tigh seems to be Adama's second in command, but doesn't he technically outrank him? Tigh's a colonel, equivalent to a naval captain, which is a rank above commander.

Well, we really can't hold them to our ranking system, although in our Navy, isn't Captain higher than some other ranks? In any case, Adama took command of the fleet as the senior officer, so Commander is up there.

There are two branches that we've seen: Navy personnel and Marines. I would bet that we've also seen a good portion of their Airforce/Viperforce as well.

Also, Episode 103 is rumored to have gotten a 3.4 rating, higher than the first two.

24. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I love Boomer like FateNaberrie loves cake.

[image=http://www.graceparkfan.com/g01.jpg] [image=http://home.mindspring.com/~srhettb/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gp2.jpg]
    [image=http://www.graceparkfan.com/b35.jpg] [image=http://www.graceparkfan.com/b22.jpg]

AYBABTU

25. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    She was also in SG-1 and Dark Angel? When and where?

She is a fairly good actress, and Boomer is such a good character.