main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “So Say We All.” - The Battlestar Galactica Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 13, 2005.

1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Last episode airing in the UK tonight.

2. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Regarding a second season, it depends on the ratings from the last 2 weeks and this Friday. And since the ratings actually appear to have gone UP from week one to Bastille Day, a second season is looking likely.

3. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

They need to have Boomer make an appearance soaking wet in every episode. That should keep viewership high.

AYBABTU

4. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Eva: Maybe Adama's real rank is much higher, somewhere around Admiral, but since he is the captain of the ship, he's called captain normally? It does seem that the fleet was mostly decommissioned, since the Galactica seemed to pretty much be the whole thing.

AYBABTU: I love Boomer like FateNaberrie loves cake.

If she loves cake a hell of a lot, then yes I agree here.

-P!-

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It does seem that the fleet was mostly decommissioned, since the Galactica seemed to pretty much be the whole thing.

Far from it; every Battlestar except Galactica was destroyed because they used the modern computer systems. In the miniseries an officer said to Adama during the Cylon attack something like "20 Battlestars have been destroyed" and another officer says "that's 1/4th of the fleet." So yeah, though Galactica is that last of the old-style Cylon War Battlestars, it was far from the only one when the attack came.

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, the Galactica was the older ship in the fleet, and was decommissioned.

7. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Doh :oops:

I forgot all about that. Well don't I look dumb.

There goes that entire theory.

-P!-

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    lol!

Anyone see the last episode?

9. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    Not on till friday for me...

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    :(

I just got Bastille Day on CD, editing out the commercials now. :)

11. Solo42986

Nov 4, 2002
    I have all the episodes on my computer, but they're in a weird windows media format, and each episode would take up an entire dvd-r. How do you have them recorded?

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Windows Media, on a regular CD. I'm editing it with Windows Movie Maker.

13. James_Sunderland

James_Sunderland Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    DVDR's are just like VHS tapes, you can record 6 hours of shows with not very good quality, or 4 hours with great quality.

14. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Quality's not too bad with this. I'll live with it until I get the DVD set

15. Solo42986

Nov 4, 2002
    Because microsoft is a control freak, the shows are recorded as Microsoft Recorded TV Show (dvr-ms), and as such, cannot be edited in Windows movie maker. What a friggin joke [face_plain] Can't even edit their own format.

16. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Hehe...

I just read the last episode summary on Skyone. Man, this series gets awesome and then amazing. I think that some people are going to be a little ticked off about the ending of this season though. They'll HAVE to make a season 2.

17. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Up- New episode on tonight- Acts of Contrition

18. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I read the spoilers for the finale. I wish I hadn't, but I always do. It's probably best this time, though, so I can fully prepare myself for Boomer.

By "prepare" what I really mean is "gather baby oil and tissue."

AYBABTU

19. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999

The spoilers for the last episode made me wish that I hadn't read them, but it's only making me want to see the entire thing more.

20. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    My review:

Battlestar 1.04: Act of Contrition

Latest episode of Battlestar Galactica aired tonight, Act of Contrition.

It opens with Starbuck in a Viper Crashing in a yellowish world. Shortly before, an accident caused the death of 13 pilots celebrating Flat Top's 1000th landing. Nearly half of the defensive force of Galactica is now gone. Adama tells Starbuck to start training new pilots. She finds some trainees, but kicks them out when they don't preform well. While he does so, she has a flashback to when her lover, Zak, was killed because she didn't fail him in basic flight like she was supposed to. Lee hints this to Adama, who confronts Starbuck, and kicks her out when she tells him. He also tells her to get the new pilots back in the air. When they're back on their training, the fleet is attacked by 8 Cylon Raiders. Starbuck orders the pilots back, and takes them all on her own, although later backed up by another trainee, who takes out one. Starbuck however, is soon shot down, and the episode ends with a To Be Continued...

This episode was very well done, using both excellent cinamotography and story, tightly linking with the miniseries. From the mini, we saw Starbuck confess to Lee that his brother should have failed basic flight, and we see Lee's reaction to it. Adama on the other hand, had no clue and we see his reaction to Kara's confession. This was probably the strongest point in the series thus far, Starbuck's confession to what she had done. Both actors performed wonderfully.

Starbuck's flashbacks to Zak's death were also well done, just quick bursts of memory, not full blown scenes. I think that it made it a little more realistic, and it allowed us to focus on her, not her lover crashing to his death. This was followed by the funeral of the pilots, which was also very somber.

The pilots being trained are also an interesting point. I would imagine that we'll see them again, and I think that there's some real potential with this.

The beginning was cheerful, but quickly blown away when a bomb goes off. It's a good reminder that the human race is still on the run, and that this little celebration is just one thing to take their minds off of it. Paticularly chilling was the moment when the camera pans over the empty seats of the ready room, which had been full in earlier episodes.

The CGI of this episode was stunning. There were some great shots of the ringed planet and moons, which was really cool to see. In addition, there was some great stuff with the pilots training, and we could really see how they're needing training. The shot dogfights were also very cool, with some excellent work there, and once again, wonderful physics.

What bugs me the most is the To Be Continued. Next episode will focus on the fleet's efforts to find Starbuck, and her method of survival on the moon that she crashes on, which will have repercussions for the future episodes.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm in the middle of watching this episode, I have to catch the second showing at 1 AM since I was out for the evening.

The character drive is deep, I get more impressed with the writing of this show with every episode. I honestly cannot kiss the ass of this show enough.

The X-Files started out as a gimmick show with likable characters, it became a phenomenon because of the character development.

BSG has it's gimmicks, but those gimmicks take a backseat to the characters.

I use the word "gimmick" for lack of a better word, the effects and CGI are top notch.

22. James_Sunderland

Jan 7, 2005
    Good episode. Better than last weeks, and "Water". It's always good when an episode focuses on a main character. Although the episode was "Top Gun" in space, everything worked well.

The thing with the missle in the beginning was a pointless scene, and wasn't needed. All they had to say was they had 12 out of 21 active pilots, or whatever. I know they did it for the dramatic flashback to Zack, but it still could have worked without it.

23. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I disagree. There would be too many questions why there's suddenly half of the pilots that were there before, and it certainly clamps down on the darkness of the series- people can still get killed in accidents, not at heros against the Cylons for example. It sucks that it was also not a missle, but a simple comm drone, and it also reminds us that the galactica is not a new ship. "Show, don't tell" is something that writers often employ because it's more effective.

24. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    The thing with the missle in the beginning was a pointless scene, and wasn't needed

Of course it was necessary. Before the accident they had 34 pilots and 40 Vipers...not great, but it's enough. Now they only have 21 pilots and have a dire need of training new ones. You don't just say, "Oh yeah, bunch of people died before the episode started. Get on that." This wasn't written by a 4th grader.

25. James_Sunderland

Jan 7, 2005
    ^But they had just gone though a few days worth of Cylon attacks in 33. That could have explained the absence of pilots - most of them were killed in the onslaught.

It was just weird, that a missle could be activated and fly around the deck. Why not just say a Viper crashed in the bay during an accident and killed people?