New Battlestar Galactica vs. Old Battlestar Galactica

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by rhonderoo, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Okay as an Apollo fangirl from way back, I wasn't too thrilled about the show getting a re-vamp, especially when it was revealed that it wouldn't be a sequel. And when I found out Starbuck was going to be a girl... [face_talk_hand]

It's grown on me, but it will never hold the place in my heart that the old one does.
  2. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    I beat you to the punch with the new show: http://boards.theforce.net/science_fiction_and_fantasy_films_and_television/b10748/22773618/p1/?1
  3. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    FYI, you guys can create specific threads on differenct asects of movies/series, also. :)
  4. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    I haven't watched the new one. Couldn't bring myself to. My mom loved the old BSG, and, I think it's partly the fanficcer in me - you can't keep the same "names" even if it's just callsigns and change the characters the way that they did. My dad, though, loved the old show, and he loves the new one; doesn't bother him. I think I would have watched if they'd just used new characters.
  5. Andalite-Bandit Jedi Master

star 6
    The new show is one of the best shows on television, in my opinion. The old one just seems kind of cheesy to me. This one has a much more dramatic and realistic feel to it, and a lot more depth.
  6. Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod

star 6
    The new serie has much more depth than the old one. Much better developed characters and better plotlines.

And it has better action sequences. There arent many, true, but it sure beats the old serie which had no special effects and only a limited number of action scenes.
  7. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    You know why that was, though, right?
  8. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    At first I was resistant to the new series when I heard about it. Then I watched the entire original series on DVD and found myself cringing w/ it's cheesiness. The last 1/2 of the old series was much better than the first after they stopped most of the Boxy stories and concentrated on more adult themes.

I LOVE the new series. I do love the old characters (the old Starbuck) but I see them as two entities to themselves. The new series not only takes the best parts of the old series, but it just breathes new life into a dying franchise.

As long as you just kind of shut off your brain and forget that they were related, it's so, SO easy to fall in love with the new series. Then on those rare occassions where they pull out the classic music, you just get all choked up. I semi see the debate between the 2 shows like the Classic Trilogy verses the Prequels. They can co-exist, you just need to learn to love each version of the show on each of their own merits.
  9. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    I really don't think of them the same way. I loved the old series and was a Starbuck/Apollo fan, but this new one is one great show. I tell everyone I can that they should be watching it. It's so rare to see something re-imagined so well. Kudos to the writers.
  10. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    I know, I have a co-worker who keep poo-pooing the new series and I gave him all of my DVDs to watch - he only saw a few episodes here and there and missed the mini-series. So hopefully seeing everything in order will change his opinion.

I don't know how any true sci-fi fan can't LOVE the new series. It's got everything. I love that they actually have real life struggles (need of food, water, etc) not like the old series where gee they manage to find people scattered all over the place, even though humans are only supposed to live on earth. Oh well, it was the 70's :p
  11. Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Both series are fun and cool in their own ways.

but it sure beats the old serie which had no special effects and only a limited number of action scenes.

I disagree. The old series effects were great for its day. And every episode had numerous action oriented sequences.
  12. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    I remember the opening of the original BSG. A local pub had it on a big screen and filled up the place to capacity. The effects budget was pretty big for a T V show back then.
  13. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Right, a part of why the first BSG series was taken off the air was because the FX were so expensive and the show was so expensive to produce and the ratings didn't allow them to keep it on the air.
  14. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I loved the Old BSG, but the New BSG is far superior. I find it incredible that the reason we have the human cylons which create a massive aura of suspense as to who is really who, is because of budget contraints.

I had huge misgivings about Starbuck being changed into a female, but she has done great. Every character is well done especially Adama. I think the New BSG may be the best scifi tv show ever.
  15. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    The new show is great, but I would like more space action and battles. The huge battle with the Cylons in the pilot was great, would like more "Galactica gets trashed" episodes.

Also looking forward to what I hope will be Baltar's eventual defection.

Oh yeah...and nothing in the new show is as cool as the original Centurians. I don't particularly like the new ones.
  16. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    That would be my only misgiving. The OBSG Centurians became icons becaue of a cool look and their voice, especially the gold ones. The robots of the NBSG are too cgi looking, and are overshadowed by the human looking cylons.
  17. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, the old BSG was originally planned to be a miniseries. That's why their budget was blown so early on.

Eh, I'm bitter anyway. I loved Dirk Benedict.
  18. Yodan Force Ghost

star 3
    Personally I like the new one better. I liked the old one, but it didn't inspire within me the same feelings that the new one has. The loss, the grief, the joy when something good happens, and the fact that only 50,000 people survived out of billions...

I mean sure the world ended in the original, but IMO the characters never seemed to be depressed about it. I mean come on now, it's the end of everything, have some angst!

Ahem, sorry I just can't wait until Friday! :D
  19. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    Richard Hatch said it best.

"It's not Starbuck."

Come to think of it though, they should have cast Steve Zahn in the role. After watching him in Sahara, the right and justness of such a choice overwhelms me, almost as much as the missed opportunities.
  20. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    Actually, she's quite good in the role. In fact I like all of the casting.
  21. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    I love, love, LOVE Cara Trece aka Starbuck. She's the greatest female character on the show. She's really tough in the mini-series, but as the show progresses her character goes through hell and we get to see her vulnerable side over and over again.

The original Starbuck was very 1 dimensional in comparison to the new Starbuck. Then again the new series is much more dramatic than the original.
  22. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    New Galactica all the way. I started to watch the old one and had to turn it off.
  23. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    I love the new Battlestar show. I have never seen the old one, but if it wasn't for Jedi_Dajuan, I wouldn't even be watching the new show. Nothing ever good is on TV, so I quit watching. But I'm glad there's a show like Battlestar. :) My fav character has to be Cara (Kara?) Trece. Starbuck rocks. And the one thing I love about this show is that the characters have FAULTS. Too often are the characters perfect little heroes.
  24. darthtenbiscuits Force Ghost

star 7
    I grew up on the original and always liked it. In fact, I think the original Battlestar is better than the original Star Trek by miles. I wasn't too keen on the new Battlestar being a remake and felt the same way about the changes they were making as most other people when I heard them.

I have to say that the new series has turned out not only to be far superior than the original, but the best thing I've ever seen on television. Not since I was a child geeking out on shows like Dukes of Hazzard, Knight Rider, and Airwolf have I been glued to a show and so anxiouslly awaiting new episodes as I have been with the new Battlestar.
  25. Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I grew up watching the old BSG also.
    But I always try to watch a new series without comparing it to the old one.
    I am the same with movies.
    Rather than look at them as a remake or whatever, I try to watch them as a stand alone series or movie.
    I would have to say that not since Buffy have I found a series I can be glued to once a week.
    I have been awaiting the new BSG and cannot wait until it starts here in the UK.

So IMO the old series of BSG was great, but the new series has been done very well indeed and is far superior.
    New series over old for me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.