New Battlestar Galactica vs. Old Battlestar Galactica

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by rhonderoo, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    My big problem is that I grow attached to characters, and don't like when they leave or are changed significantly. I loved Dirk Benedict (grew up on the A-Team, so sue me) and I liked him as Starbuck. I liked Apollo and Adama and Cassie and Boomer... I liked them all. And I liked that the girls would tell Apollo and Starbuck where to stick it from time to time. The original had the potential for strong female characters, if it had lasted.
  2. Darth_Daver Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The original had more instant appeal with effects which were, as has been said, very impressive at the time, and memorable characters. But as it went on it completely lost the plot, becoming almost a parody of itself. The later episodes are almost unwatchable.

The new version started slowly, I thought. I wasn't that impressed by the mini-series, but it was improving throughout the first season to the point of being probably the best sci-fi show on TV at the moment.
    The characters aren't as charismatic as the originals, but they're much more interesting. I don't even mind the whole gimmick of Number 6 being in Baltar's head - which would normally annoy the hell out of me, but it's really well done.

I would still prefer the more robotic Cylons to look a bit more like the original versions. And to feature more often.

Oh, and Grace Park is =P~
  3. Quiet_Mandalorian Force Ghost

star 5
    I seem to be in the minority here, but I must say that Kara Thrace, A.K.A. "Starbuck" is more of an annoyance than anything, merely another attempt to be "edgy" and "modern", who, incidentally, makes a very good inadvertant case against sex-integrated combat units.[face_thinking]

Now Sheba, from the original series, on the other hand...
  4. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I admit I havn't seen the original BSG in its entrity only the opening miniseries, but from what I saw of that I gotta conclude that the new BSG is superior to the original.

I watched the original prior to watching the new one so I wouldn't be biased going into the new one. I was awed at the originals special effects, it was just so A New Hope but that was pretty much about it, well besides the music. I think the new one did a much better job of destroying mankind than the original, I mean who takes their entire fleet to a peace conference leaving their entire system defenseless?

New BSG all teh way. Zeh
  5. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    D'oh I need to learn to look up how characters names are spelled :oops:

Anywhoo, I can see why people would find Kara annoying, she's obnoxious, insubordinate, and rude. However, if the character written was a male, people would LOVE him for being a pain-in-the-butt, but because she's female, she rubs people the wrong way.

I like that Kara breaks acceptable social molds. She's still by far the best pilot that they've got out there, so thinking that she should ever be removed from combat would be a bad idea. I think there's something telling w/ her when she was back on Caprica she admitted to Heilo that she really had nothing to look forward to or to look back upon. This explains her all or nothing attitude when she's flying. She truly is that perfect pilot, living like every moment could be your last, and willingly put your own safety above others if it might mean keeping them safe.

She's flawed and very complicated and nearly every week they do something w/ her character that's always surprising. I can't wait to see what they do w/ her this season.
  6. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    Unfortunately, I'd say you can't watch the old show NOW for the first time and try to compare it to the new show. It just doesn't hold up. You had to watch it when it came out - when it was amazing, especially for a kid.

P.S. I think Olmos is perfect as Adama, but he's about the portliest military officer I've ever seen. He's got enough stored fat in that pot belly to feed the entire fleet for a week. They ought to put the guy on a workout program or something. Or maybe the uniform just fits him funny.
  7. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think Olmos is much (if any) bigger than Lorne Greene was.
  8. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Having been in the navy I can say there are many fat captains.
  9. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    But fat TV captains! Aside from Captain Stubing, of course...
  10. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I was 9 when the original BSG aired and as a kid I loved it. The big appeal was VFX and space battles. Star Wars had just come out and John Dykstra who did the VFX for SW was doing them for BSG. To bad it only lasted for one season and we won't mention BSG 1980. :oops: Back then there was no internet, playstation, x-box, cable tv, CGI, etc. So we weren't dissensitized to visuals.

Today, we are used to fancy VFX so the new BSG has to be more story driven.

I love both series. BTW, only 2 more days till the season premeire. [face_dancing]
  11. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Let's not forget Kirk's ever growing girth through the films...and Picard's #2 Riker...

I also think that Olmos and Greene were about the same size. Olmos isn't that fat, I think it's just the uniform more than anything. TV and film is deceptive. I got to see the FIDM SW exhibit this fall and saw GL's costume and it was completely normal sized, photos etc just always add extra weight onto people.
  12. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    That's true about tv adding weight. I'm an EMT and work at the Arena where the Nashville Predators hockey team plays. Sometimes the WWE will come and on tv those guys look huge but when you meet them they're aren't very big. But, on the other hand I am 6'1, 233lbs.
  13. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well clearly Adama has been taking extra rations when no one is looking...there should be an inquiry.

So is this a full new season starting this week? Let's hope there is a good battle with the Pegasus and the Cylons. But, while we're comparing Old to New...new Commander Cain doesn't hold a candle to old Commander Cain.
  14. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    At least not yet. I was pleasently surprised by what they did with the new Cain.

One night was I was a wee young pup I was playing in my room. My dad yelled down the hall that a new show called Battlestar Galactica was coming on. I said I didn't care. He said it was kinda like Star Wars. Later in life he told me all he heard after that statement was the fast stomping of my feet as I ran down the hall to watch it. :)

What really gave the original show life is exactly what gives the new show life, great characters. I can never say it enough that the characters and drama of this show are incredibly well done.
  15. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Later in life he told me all he heard after that statement was the fast stomping of my feet as I ran down the hall to watch it.

LOL! I do confess that I loved Boxy and the Daggett as a kid, but watching the series now I loathe it whenever they show up for it only further cheesifies the show :p

Well maybe not Daggett...Muffit was way cool [face_mischief]
  16. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    The Cheese Factor was never a factor with me for OBSG, it had cheesy moments, but I thought them minor. I'm sure the writers of the NBSG are smart enough to make a final series of episodes that will look nothing even remotely resembling Galactica 1984. Man, did that suck the big one.

I don't know if NBSG will have some form of Count Iblis, or anything that seems like Iblis and the gods that chase after him. So far i don't see anything "magical" occuring, and unless handled smartly it could come across as pretty bad. Iblis was supposed to The Devil in OBSG. A cut scene showed Starbuck and Apollo finding a body with cloven hoofs in the wreckage where they found Iblis. Despite the ususal pseudo-science that goes with most scifi, NBSG is good science fiction to go with its drama and I would rather it stayed that way.

Maybe I should do a "Science In Science Fiction" thread here sometime. I'll keep it in mind.
  17. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    That Count Iblis episode scared me as a child. I never could tell what was in that wrecked ship. Are you sure it was a cloven hoof?
  18. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I've never seen it, and I don't think anyone has. I don't think it was filmed. It was in the script and the network cut it because they were afraid of some sort of politically correct backlash. But I'm totally sure it was supposed to be a cloven hoofed creature which was formerly a body for Count Iblis. He was meant to be the Devil, Satan, Loki, or any other figure of ultimate evil from whatever mythos has one.
  19. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    It wasn't until much later that I realized Count Iblis' voice was also that of the Imperious Leader.
  20. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    His voice was also used during the opening monologue just before the theme music hits. I'm wondering if Iblis or some form of him will turn out to be the "God" that Six talks about to Baltar.
  21. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Now I could've sworn I saw cloven hooves during an airing of the second Iblis episode. Maybe that was just my imagination.

I hate the NBSG, and I'm currently writing a fic where Galatica finds Earth in the year 2003. Very very little of Galatica 1980 or NBSG (meaning Starbuck's a MAN!) factor in this.
  22. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm wondering if Iblis or some form of him will turn out to be the "God" that Six talks about to Baltar.

Interesting idea. Seems that Patrick Macnee is still alive and active. Even if it isn't him, I am very interested to see exactly who this "God" is that they're talking about. I'm sure it is some devious plot twist.
  23. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    From what little I've seen of the NBSG, it is so incredibly dark and science based that if a version, male or female, of Iblis were to show up, that would be the point where this remake would jump the shark so to speak.
  24. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I don't mean Iblis might show up as the magical being he was in the OBSG. What the Cylons are calling God is probably a figurehead of some sort, not a magical traveler. This Cylon God is more than likely a human-form cylon like Six, possibly the first of the human-form cylons.
  25. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm wondering if Iblis or some form of him will turn out to be the "God" that Six talks about to Baltar.

I actually wonder if Iblis might, in fact, BE Baltar. Even though he rejects the idea that he's the "father" of Sharon's baby w/ Six - the fact that he knew about the baby's conception before anyone else knew about it implies that somewhere in his swiss-cheese, crazy head, he's got some knowledge in there that he's not entirely willing to face full on.

Course, he could just be crazy, but I don't think so.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.