main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC new best friends club thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    In terms of how it's used in slang these days? An idea passing between people through the air.

For the scientific definition ask Ramza or someone.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    What do I look like, a biologist?

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  3. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope I don't need to post 3 things about myself. I will if I have to.:p

I hope you mean biologically, but it's used in other ways now too...

Basically, imagine a bucket of water with a screen in the middle (this screen represents the semi-permeable lipid layer). When there is only water, both levels should be equal, because they have an equal concentration of water. When there are larger, (polar) molecules, they cannot pass through the screen and stay on one side. The water will move to the side where the large molecules are. This kind of equalizes the concentration. The water level on the side with the molecules will be higher, and the level on the starting side will be lower.

Essentially it's moving from an area with low solute concentration, but high water concentration...to an area with high solute concentration but low water concentration. It is the diffusion of water from hypo-tonic to hyper-tonic.
    If the concentration is the same (isotonic) - nothing happens.

Here's a nice gif that explains it even better. It's kind of simplistic, but hey.
    It doesn't have to be sugar. It can be anything that cannot go through the membrane (which is large or polar molecules - sugar, protein, ions). Very small molecules like oxygen go through without osmosis.
    [​IMG]

Zapdos likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yes, Admiral Volshe - you have to. This isn't 'Nam... there are rules here.

5. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    1. I love science (especially microbiology)
    2. I love strange music
    3. I don't really like talking about myself :p

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    What strange music do you like?

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah are we talking strange like Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band or strange like a cactus slowly scraped across an upright bass, while a cat wails, and someone recites Spanish limericks - translated into English so that they don't rhyme - with every fifth word screamed?

8. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Mostly surrealism or avant-garde. I want to mention names, but I'm not sure anyone will know them. I have Russian artists on my playlists that have songs where they're singing mostly backwards... with random vocalizations and synth. I don't know why, I just like it.
    Also on the complete other side of the spectrum, hyperrealistic bubblegum pop like Hannah Diamond. Not as weird and far more common. Especially in Japan.

The latter's a little too weird, Ramza. But somewhere in between.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Catching up on the things I usually catch up on before heading to work.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So you don't like jazz. Noted. :p

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Just got back from eating Vietnamese food, now drinking wine and getting ready to get in bed and read.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Though I worry about how little sleep I'll get (I'd imagine maybe 3 hours) tomorrow morning/afternoon, I'm still quite excited to be going to a cousins birthday party tomorrow... 10 years old already for this lad, and I remember the morning of his birth so well. They grow up so damned fast. :p

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    im in seattle at a show... in a booth... on my phone. wtf. okay bye.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

14. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    thanks. i read like three different explanations in my books yesterday and managed to write down something similar to this. i'd be able to repeat this on my presentation i think, but i don't like just listing up things i've remembered and not fully understood.

i get everything up untill the "water moves to the side with the bigger molecules in it" thing. i guess it's just.. well, it's the same amount of water on both sides, so why would it want to move? is it that because of the other molecules it's sort of "less water" in relation to the other molecules?

argh i just hate when there's one thing i just don't fully get. i have to completely understand whyyy in order to move on

15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Zapdos here's osmosis explained by (what looks like) your avatar

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Okay, this part I do know - yes, because it's all about concentration (i.e. the relative amount of molecules to the amount of water), not so much about volume by itself. The idea is that the water moves to balance out the concentration of the molecules on both sides of the membrane, so in that gif in particular the right side is increasing in volume because more water is required to lower the sugar concentration, compared to on the left side, where there's less sugar and thus a lower amount of water raises the concentration. It keeps adjusting until these concentrations - which, again, are ratios of the amount of sugar to the amount of water - are equal on both sides of the membrane.

harpua, Zapdos and Admiral Volshe like this.
  17. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    ooooh. lightbulb. thank you.

18. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Last night I went to bed at 10cuz I wasn't feeling so well. I slept more than 10 hours, could've been more but my cats woke me up when they got hungry. What's everyone up to this weekend?

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Hanging out with relatives, work, hoping to figure out a way to get out of jury duty (I'm supposed to report on September 4th), with hopefully enough time to watch some Premier League football.

20. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    The best way to get out of jury duty is to show up and behave like an obnoxious moron, they won't choose you.

harpua and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Well, sure, but that requires having to actually go there, and wait around all day, etc... I'd love to avoid even that. I was compelled (due to the threat of legal consequence) to go in December of 2011, and though it seems eventually I'd have to actually go again, I'd like to delay that for as long as it's possible. :p

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know. Both times I've been to jury selection the morons got the most attention from the attorneys and judge. I remember one woman took up 20 minutes essentially refusing to answer "Can you be impartial?" with a "yes" or "no"; the court never gave up on her and didn't move on. Contrary to popular belief, being (semi-) normal and honest is easier and faster. Jury pools number in the hundreds-- depending on the case and how selection goes-- so you're unlikely to be chosen regardless. Just ****ing go, Tunick.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Seriously, the minor inconvenience of having to sit around reading while you don't get called on is nothing compared to the potential legal ramifications.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Darth Guy I'm hoping to at least delay it to a day in which I'm off from work; I work the night of the 4th.

25. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004