main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC new best friends club thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Dec 15, 2014.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Accepted, Coyote Ugly, Earth to Echo, End of Days

And last night was The First Wives Club.

Besties, applying to other jobs is stressful.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That is quite a disastrous roster all right.

3. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Hi besties, I saw Green Room last night. I kept reading all these reviews about how Patrick Stewart's performance was so amazing and so powerful, but I didn't really feel like there was anything extremely outstanding about it, other than it being a departure from how we're used to seeing Patrick Stewart. It was a solid performance, though, and the movie was really really good. Super violent and very scary and there were about four moments where the whole theater gasped or went "ohhhh" all in unison. Definitely recommend if you have a tolerance for thrills and gore.

Rylo Ken and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Besties, Last Night I Watched The H8ful Eight......

Still computaiting.

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    empty-headed violence in the service of absolutely nothing was my take on Hateful Eight. But the screen was wide, so it's ok.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Hi Besties!

I'm glad to be done with my travels. It was somewhat tiresome to be traveling 3 of the last four weeks. I did get to see York in England. It's a very beautiful city with all the old school English charm you'd find in movies.

Boba Nekhbet and Rylo Ken like this.
  7. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    My friend Linda's funeral is this morning. I'm going to be reading Proverbs 31:20-31, "A woman of valor/ is the most precious treasure a man can find." Which is much better than what I was originally told: Proverbs 29, "Those stiff-necked in the face of reproof/ in an instant will be shattered beyond cure." I thought that was an odd choice for a funeral.

Maybe at my funeral I'll have someone pick a Bible verse out of a hat. If I'm lucky, it could be the one about how a bear eats the children who were making fun of the bald prophet.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    OH MY GOD I'm so jealous. I cannot wait for that movie. It's opening here sometime next month, I think. If you liked Green Room, I'd highly recommend you check out Blue Ruin, the director's previous movie, which I loved. This director is a guy to watch, I think, and I'm super glad to see Green Room actually getting a big release. Blue Ruin was a tiny little movie, but hopefully his career is on an upswing.

Rylo Ken and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Sorry for your loss, Ophi. :(

ophelia likes this.
  10. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

ya Blue Ruin is an interesting movie. I'm looking forward to renting Green Room in a few months.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Have you seen Alexander Payne's Election? I watched it last night, and now I feel dead inside. What a smug, smarmy little movie.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I liked Election!

JoinTheSchwarz and yankee8255 like this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    So did I. I'm surprised that MTV put out that film.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't hate it. I just found it bleak and somewhat depressing, and after watching so many crappy movies in a row, I wanted something that was good and happy.

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Me, too. But when my wife and I started trying to have kids, that "Fill me up" scene freaked me out, big time.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I actually really, really hate that movie. Witherspoon's performance is good, but smug and smarmy are good words. It's a very condescending movie. Payne's really interested in dehumanizing his characters, I think, and I felt insulted as an audience member when I watched it. I mean, I can understand when a filmmaker wants to explore flawed characters, or even really negative characters, but I had never felt such loathing for characters as I did in this movie. It felt like Payne hated them all and I wasn't sure why I was supposed to care about the characters at all if he hated them that much himself. Again, you get movies and TV shows with characters with hateful or frustrating tendencies, but the movie or show has to be interested in exploring them or think that they're worth our attention for some reason. I don't think Payne himself could have told me why any of the characters in Election were worth exploring.

I actually never watched Sideways based purely on the fact that I had such a distaste for Payne after seeing Election. But I saw Nebraska when it came out and I thought Payne had eased up on the dehumanizing. There was still the feeling with some of the side characters that Payne just loathed them, but I thought there was a surprising amount of empathy allowed for the father and son at the heart of the film. I'll probably check out Sideways soon, actually.

17. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Is Red Dawn the same guy or?

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I think the second word has to always start with "R," but good guess.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Red Road?

Rylo Ken likes this.
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I wonder if the second word has to always be just one syllable. Because Red Revolver would be a great title.

The funny thing about it is that Blue Ruin means nothing at all, near as I can tell. It's not explained in the movie at all. At least a green room is a real thing.

21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Redrum!
    Purple Rain!

ophelia and Diggy like this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    As Ruin is two syllables, I don't think the second word has to be one syllable.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    :oops: You are, of course, correct.

Diggy likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Bezzies, I'm watching the CNN series on the 70s.

Summary of the first three episodes:

...TV was great then. Mary Tyler Moore, All in the Family with Archie Trump Bunker, Sesame Street without Elmo.

...but in the real world, Nixon ****ed up, fired everyone who called him on his **** ups except for that Dean guy who quit before he could get fired. Then at 9 pm one night, Nixon owned his **** ups on national TV while millions of Americans sat on their shag carpets and jiggled the rabbit ears on their 13-inch-screen 200-pound TV so they could hear him.

...we need to just change the name of Vietnam to the War of Massive **** Ups, subtitled "We have no idea what the hell we're doing here except that communists are bad and holy **** communists are in Saigon and get on the aircraft carrier NOW! Dump the helicopters in the South China Sea if they're too heavy!!" Richard ****-Up Nixon did manage to get John McCain home though.

...on a related note, Baby Boomer college students protesting Vietnam >>>>> millennial college students protesting Trump. And I love millennial college students protesting Trump.

Dark Lady Mara, cubman987 and tom like this.
  25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm through both the sixties and seventies now. both were great.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.