main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC new best friends club thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Dec 15, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Mine are two years apart and I would not have had them any closer, and I was older when I started as well. People need to mind their own business.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Me & my (younger) brother are 16-months apart.. I wish there was more of a separation.

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    people are so rude when it comes to babies. It's like they lose all manners and social skills when they're around one.

4. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    They've been asking me the same for months. We decided we can't handle more than this one, and people go nuts. Teachers say "we can always tell when it's an only child", and I'm like "good for you".

harpua, cubman987 and Rylo Ken like this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    fixed that for you. My boys are eight years apart, so in a lot of ways it's been like having two only children.

6. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    That's what goes through my mind, but I'm trying to be polite here.

Juliet316 and Rylo Ken like this.
  7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    that's why I'm here: to jump in at those moments when courtesy is no longer an option.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I cannot fathom being so committed to pressuring people to reproduce that I start outright lying like that.

Now, lying about my students "needing" to memorize something...

9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    My wife gets asked that all the time too, I feel like it started really soon after we had our daughter. I don't get the obsession with it.

10. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    Ramza: Even if it's true, so what? lots of people have only one child. Some by choice, even, and others have no right to pressure or pity them. Mind your own business, people.

Edit: I would rather be the happy mother of one than the unhappy mother of three.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

Oh, totally, I'm just saying that years of teaching also make me pretty sure they're full of it.

tom likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    As the parent of a single child, I am 100% with you. I don't see why people want to see others mass produce humans.

13. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    I stopped in this thread to see what it's all about and felt i had to comment.

We are foster parents to two un-related 13 month olds (we've had them since they were both 1mo old, they're 24 days apart). They look nothing alike and we frequently get asked if they're twins. BTW, my partner and I are mixed-ethnicity. We're not supposed to advertise "foster child here" by stating it to strangers asking questions, so our line has been that they are in fact twins and let people reach their own conclusion.
    However, there have been some who look at us, look at the babies, and don't believe us. As if it's any of their business to confirm or retort whether our babies "look like us". For all they know we could have had donor egg/sperm...

Anyway, people can tend to lose all tact when it comes to parents with babies. I wouldn't let it get to you, as the assumption seems to be "if you have one baby, you're going to want to give them a playmate"...

Diggy and Juliet316 like this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Tell people they're Irish Twins.

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  15. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    What the hell is wrong with people? There's this weird sense of communal ownership of pregnant women and babies that makes people feel entitled to make the worst comments. My nephew is an only child and he's awesome.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've got two but people still continued the "When are you going to try for a girl?" comments until a few years ago.

Why would I not be happy with two sons?

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    For years, before I had my son, my grandmother asked me when I was planning to reproduce, pretty much every time she saw me. People don't realize how personal of a question it is--they don't know that they're being rude (or they do, and don't care).

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, we had two girls and then a boy. So we get, "oh you had to keep going till you got a boy, huh?"

What kind of backwards thinking is this?

19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    "She has your eyes"
    "He has your nose"

[face_plain]

Diggy , Rylo Ken and harpua like this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Ah yes.... the 'pick the baby apart' people... annoying as ****.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I think I was lucky since I only got occasional 'why haven't you had kids yet?' comments, and I liked to make them feel bad about the comment AND super uncomfortable so I would launch right in about my fertility problems. But yeah, now that we managed one my reproductive choices are apparently fair game!

AND WHY THE **** DO PEOPLE TOUCH BABIES??? I took the baby to the park and seriously had to dodge people wanting to touch her HANDS. Not anything else. HER HANDS THAT SHE SUCKS ON! :mad:

Point Given and CT-867-5309 like this.
  22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    People feel a false sense of ownership over other people's kids.... they express it by unsolicited touching and giving [incredibly annoying] advice.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I got a lot of "Why haven't you had kids yet" comments along with the occasional reminders that I "need" to have them before I turn 30. (Not one iota of regret that that didn't happen.)

Then when I was pregnant and teaching middle school, kids would ask, "Aren't you too old to be having a baby?" No, kid. You need to make sure you wait until you're as old as I am.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey besties,

So...week 2 of work training for the new job, and it's fairly brutal. I'm doing ok on the assessments (87%, 47%, and 90% today) but I still feel pretty dumb. It doesn't help that most of the people in my orientation group are whiny millennial know-it-alls. 3-4 of the most irritating people in my group always sit by me during lunch even though I CLEARLY have a BOOK out that I'm READING. I guess I'm just stressed about the new transition, and it may be affecting my mood a bit.

25. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    We have two girls. I know people in Austria who had two children of one sex and then a third hoping to get one of the other. But here in Austria, no one ever asked us why we didn't give it another try. In the US, pretty much everyone I know has asked us that question at some point.

Rylo Ken likes this.