main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC new best friends club thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Dec 15, 2014.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm glad your son is okay and there was no actual shooter.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Juliet316 and Rylo Ken like this.
  2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    @Rylo Ken Very glad there was an extremely positive outcome there.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    That whole "swatting" thing is awful and dangerous but glad it wasn't anything more serious and didn't lead to anything unfortunate happening.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Rylo Ken like this.
  4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I won't feel right to this weekend. The older I get the more daylight savings messes me up especially springing forward. I love the outcome as it's so nice to be 7 PM and still be light out already but the process of going through it stink!

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    thanks for the well wishes. He came out psychologically unscathed I think, though we were getting emails today about how to get in touch with a counselor if our kids felt traumatized. Holy crap what a ****ed up country this is.

6. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Yikes, Ken, I'm glad your son is okay! That's absolutely terrifying.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it's friday besties. i am going to do so much nothing this weekend, so much that i had to take monday off to fit it all in.

Juliet316 , Rylo Ken and cubman987 like this.
  8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Happy Friday! I took this afternoon off to watch college basketball. Tomorrow the wife and I are going to meet up with some friends at the local sports bar for green beer and more college basketball. Sunday, you guessed it, I'll be watching college basketball.

Rylo Ken and tom like this.
  9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you reminded me that i do have st. patrick's day plans, dammit all!

cubman987 likes this.
  10. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Had a great couple of days, besties. On Friday I had a brunch date that lasted 10 hours. We did all kinds of stuff, and he said he likes me and he thinks I'm cute. I'm planning on seeing him again. :) Then Saturday I hosted my friend's bachelor party and it was a smashing success. Drunken board games, pizza, and snacks for 12 hours. Better yet, none of the cis guys there gave me side-eye or seemed to find it odd that I was participating at all. Once he got drunk, the friend who's getting married accidentally misgendered me a lot, but everybody just ignored him. Definite feelings of gender euphoria.

tom, epic , CT-867-5309 and 7 others like this.
  11. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    You had a better weekend than I did. The 14 year old told me he wants to quit swimming because his only aspiration in life is to livestream Fortnite on Twitch. I don't know what that means, but it sounds pretty ominous. Someday I'd like to experience gender euphoria.

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Brutally crush his dreams. Tell him it's a saturated market and that every idiot out there wants a streaming career but will never get the views or subscriptions to earn anything. He'll just be streaming into the void, wondering why no one watches him.

Source: I told my brother the same thing when he wanted to do similar.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    SuperWatto, tom, epic and 7 others like this.
  13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Parent: You can be whatever you want to be as long as you put your mind to it! I love you and support you.
    Child: I want to be a video game streamer!
    Parent: Do you have a plan B?

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    For the longest time some years ago, I wanted to go an Umpire's (baseball) school in Florida, in hopes to perhaps be a professional umpire someday... received no support at all from the parents. :p

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Tell him that video game streaming is like investing - if you've already heard about it, it's too late to get in. In my experience most 14 year olds are big fans of stock market analogies, so this should easily convey the point.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The 12-year-old described that game to me. Something about digging in holes to find guns. “A survival game with building.”

So yeah, tell him to stick to swimming and stop reading PCGamer magazine.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'd like to make $500,000 per month playing video games.

As a side question, can people that are awful at video games make $500,000 per month playing them?

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Well, $500K is an anomaly when it comes to Twitch streaming but yes you don't need to be amazing at video games (though in the case of Ninja it certainly helps). Being entertaining is the most important part.

Also Ken, I actually think it would be a good idea to show that PC Gamer article to your son and have him watch the interview. He stresses the importance of having a job and staying in school instead of just dropping everything to pursue streaming.

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    that's a great idea!

Also, I voted this morning. The volunteers gave me a Republican ballot by mistake, which made me feel even more unclean than I already felt from voting in an Illinois primary election.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    hi besties. i am back from my extended weekend. it was pretty good i guess. not as good as ben's. on saturday i drank an entirely obscene amount of alcohol like a good wanna be irish sheep. me and my friends ran a .5k race (yes half a kilometer, so basically around the block) at a local brewery. here we are.

[​IMG]

chewbacca there in the middle didn't get a medal. actually it was a bottle opener. whatever! anyway after the race we decided it was a good idea to drink an entire bottle of gin at 2 in the afternoon. so i spent the next two days recovering. i watched the first season of american gods and the first season of the end of the ****ing world. i thought they were both quite good. i hope they don't make a season 2 of the the end of the ****ing world. it was really sweet but i liked where they ended it. okay bye.

21. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    They have Republican ballots in Chicago? At my previous polling place down here they would give you a dirty look if you asked for a Democrat ballot. Now that I'm closer to campus it's usually students volunteering and they seem far less judgemental.

Also, oddly enough, I talked a bit with the Governor and Senator Bill Brady on St. Patrick's Day, they were touring the bars after the parade and stopped by my table. I'm not a fan of either, especially Brady, but I did have a nice chat with them about the NCAA Tournament and where the wife and I were from and such.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Brutally crush his dreams. Tell him how a professional swimming career doesn't usually last over six years, at which point he'll be too old to go to college and too old for cheap labor. Tell him his chances of joining the Olympic team are 0.0013%.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I could tell him that if there were such a thing as a professional swimming career.

24. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i really loved it too and agree they should leave it how it ends. loved the two leads and a great soundtrack too!

also I too had a 2 day hangover from Saturday :/

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Rylo Ken, Diggy and tom like this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Thirded on End of the ****ing World. The lead guy was familiar, but I couldn;t place him. As it turns out he was in Black Mirror, playing a paedo. He was excellent in that, too. And of course, I always recommend Black Mirror.

Rylo Ken likes this.