main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC new best friends club thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i just sent in my bachelors thesis. hopefully done being a student as of this moment.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Guys, after weeks of interviews and awkward amounts of waiting... I was offered the job I wanted the most! :D

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    wow good news all around! congrats maia! congrats rachel!

Diggy likes this.
  4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Congrats Maia! Definitely remember what it was like to take my very last test in grad school. Happy you're done.

Diggy likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    SJ, without prying too much, was the job back writing or something else in the system (or altogether different job)? I keep contemplating swapping careers (mostly similar job, different sector), and just wondering about other people...

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's a writing job, just not in Hollywood.

I was getting pretty tired of being exploited and having no life, or benefits, and having to endure a harassing and cuthroat work culture. Not to mention, cost of living was becoming such that support staff can't afford it. Although I'd helped unionize, my company wasn't covered by the union still.

Anyway, the place I'll be working specifically wanted people with some creative writing background, so my experience actually helped. Just had to know how to spin it as a positive, I think.

I'm going back to writing prose, especially novels, on my own time... Which will now be a thing that exists too :p

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Hi bezzies. I went to a library today. It was the first time in about 20 years. And only because it contained a passport office. But yay @tom and @anakinfansince1983 ! Library!

8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Congrats Zapdos on being done with school, congrats to SJ on the job, and congrats to Diggy for going to a library!

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It was a surprisingly great experience. As I said, we went for passports - it's quite annoying that kid passports expire after five years, rather than the ten adults get, because it's not like the cost is half. But there was a wait, so while my wife stayed to wait for our turn, I took the kids to the children's section. It's a large place, on two floors. When we walked into the children's section, the librarian behind the desk said, "WELCOME! CAN I HELP YOU FIND ANYTHING?" And I replied "You're surprisingly loud for a librarian!" Instantly dating my library experience. She explained that's not how it is these days (thanks for letting me down, Monsters University) and that it's a fun.

As a kid, I thought my local library was huge. But just the children's section at this one alone dwarfed that. I don't think I've ever been in the presence of so many books. And not just books, but large, welcoming communal reading areas, colouring areas, tabletop games, a wooden train and car to role-play in, and rocking chairs. The kids had a great time.

There was also a guy demoing a 3-D printer. So they even got trinkets to bring home and quickly lose.

As for the adults areas, their Blu-ray collection would put Blockbuster to shame (if that was still possible) other than new releases, and I did not see anyone at the computers masturbating. They also had books. Including a couple of rows dedicated to graphic novels.

I really think I'll be back within the week getting a library card and borrowing many thing in the near future.

Or I'll never go again, it could go either way.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Congrats Maia and Rachel on the greate news!

11. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    thanks guys. feels good

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    congrats all the way round on the new job, completed thesis, and a successful trip to the library!

Diggy likes this.
  13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    All the congrats, Zapdos & solojones. Incredibly niiiiice news to hear about.

solojones and Ava G. like this.
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I have worked at a few libraries and I adore them. I'm glad you accidentally went to one, tom. Definitely get a card.

And thanks for all the positive vibes everyone. I begin June 4th.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  15. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Diggy and solojones like this.
  16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I have nothing as cool as Maia and Rachel's news (Huge congratulations by the way!) but today one of the big names in my field said he expected to be seeing me at conferences for years to come and the sheer power of being validated after so many years of grad school BS nearly reduced me to ugly, public sobbing.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Congrats, Ramza, I'm happy for you

Ava G. likes this.
  18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Juliet316 and Ava G. like this.
  19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Did you just call me tom? That’s a huge compliment to me! Not so much for tom.

20. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    @Ramza - someday you'll be one of those heavy hitters whose conservatively doled out compliments can sustain and inspire young academics for months on end.

21. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Cool to see a lot of happy news in this thread!

And, for the record, I adore libraries of all types. I mayyyy even be one of those odd ducks who loves the smell of old print books;)

Juliet316, solojones, tom and 2 others like this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    It's wonderful to start the weekend with all the wonderful news from our besties!

And I would like to extend my congratulations to @Zapdos and @solojones and @Ramza on their achievements and recognition.

@Diggy, thanks for sharing the story. LOL. I haven't been to a library in quite sometime either, and would expect it to be a quiet place as well.

Diggy likes this.
  23. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Same.

Sometimes I like to create a stack of books that interest me, find an isolated area next to a window on the second floor, and kill time. I alternate between reading and scanning pages to staring out at the highway and people going about way. It's especially nice when it's raining. Libraries can be pretty soothing places to begin with, nevermind when there's half-muted rainfall and tires on wet pavement.

Juliet316, Pensivia and tom like this.
  24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    it's the 2nd hand bookshops I miss , they're all gone now round here , ebay and amazon killed them off . Browsing books on amazon certainly isn't any replacement .
    you know that deflated feeling when you order an old book off amazon and you get it and it just isn't like what you thought .

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i spend 40 hours a week in a library, but i still manage to love them somehow.