New Blade Runner film

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by darth_boy, Aug 19, 2011.

1. OBIWAN-JR Jedi Master

star 6
    I actually quite enjoyed American Gangster - I'd give it 4 out of 5.

The only other movies of his that I approve of are:

Alien - 5
    Blade Runner - 5
    Thelma & Louise - 5
    Gladiator - 4

-JR :)
  2. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    You're forgetting Legend.
  3. OBIWAN-JR Jedi Master

star 6
  4. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    But...unicorns...goblins....and Tim Curry as an evil devil guy!
  5. darthtenbiscuits Jedi Master

star 7
    Legend has one thing that Blade Runner does not. A plot. Actual dramatic tension. A narrative structure that informs the viewer what is happening and keeping them interested. Characters that have more than one expression on their face for the duration of the film...

Okay, that's more than one thing.
  6. solojones Force Ghost

star 9
    Don't forget long-haired Tom Cruise with an extremely short dress (tunic?) as a fairy prince who loves unicorns. Just sayin'.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  7. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 10
    INFO

Yesterday's announcement of Ridley Scott returning to the world of "Blade Runner" which he created pretty much floored everyone with its unexpectedness. Now 24 Frames has done a feature piece explaining how Scott was brought back into the fold. In the process, they've revealed some new story details and a potential production schedule.

Alcon Entertainment landed the rights to the property earlier this year and were desperately keen on landing Scott for the film. Producers Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson had a sit down meeting with Scott in London earlier this year where "they hashed out how a new film would look, how it could avoid seeming too similar to the many movies that have since paid homage to the original, and how different the new film should be from the original itself. They eventually decided it should stand as separately as possible."

Scott struck a handshake deal with the pair, Kosove saying "I believe he sees an opportunity to create something that?s wholly original from the first 'Blade Runner.'" A few months later, after all the legals and contracts have been sorted out, here we are. Scott is now expected to meet with writers which he and the producers will have to agree on, a hiring that could happen as early as in the next few weeks.

It's expected the earliest that shooting could start is the beginning of 2013 which would mean a 2014 cinematic release at the earliest. Scott, who recently finished editing "Prometheus," could direct one of several other films in development before jumping back into the "Blade Runner" world.

Asked about the skepticism over the announcement, Kosove says "Everything Ridley does as a filmmaker is fresh? with Ridley coming back there's a greater level of comfort. And once we have the writer, I think fans will feel even more comfortable. We want people to know that we're very serious about doing this in an artistic way. This isn't just commercial fodder."

Kosove also says don't expect Harrison Ford or his Rick Deckard character to show up - "If you're asking me will this movie have anything to do with Harrison Ford, the answer is no. This is a total reinvention, and in my mind that means doing everything fresh, including casting."

I actually like that last bit that this will not be a Deckard film.
  8. Whitey Jedi Master

star 6
    Isn't that Tom Cruise pretty much every day of the week, minus long hair?
  9. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    Blade Runner +1, Gladiator -1
  10. block Jedi Master

star 5
    Alien - 5
    Blade Runner - 6
    Thelma & Louise - 5
    Gladiator - 3
    Body of Lies - 4

Added Body of Lies
  11. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 10
  12. darth_boy Jedi Padawan

star 7
    Stop spamming my thread or I will complain to a competent mod
    Lololololol
  13. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Master

star 7
    why is it even called blade runner, somebody runs around wielding a knife or something?
  14. mrsvos Jedi Master

star 5
    Ridley Scott, I wanna have your babies.
  15. darthtenbiscuits Jedi Master

star 7
    Because "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" wouldn't fit on the side of a betamax tape.
  16. Jabba-wocky Force Ghost

star 8
    Based on the climax scene where he competes in the 100 yard dash against Wesley Snipes.
  17. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 10
    Why are they called "Blade Runners"? Where does the term come from?

The title can be traced back to a book by science fiction / fantasy writer Alan E. Nourse who wrote a story called "The Bladerunner". The story dealt with an impoverished society where medical supplies were so scarce they had to be supplied by smugglers known as "Blade Runners".

William S. Burroughs took the book and wrote "Bladerunner (A Movie)" in 1979. Similarities between Nourse's "The Bladerunner" and Scott's BR are in name only.

Ridley Scott felt that calling Deckard a "detective" just wouldn't do. Hampton Fancher, screenwriter for the movie, began searching through his personal library and came up with Burroughs' book.

Scott liked it, and he and Fancher also felt the title would make a great new title for the screenplay, and so they eventually bought the rights for the use of the name Blade Runner from both Nourse's and Burroughs' representatives.

So there you have it. The term "blade runner" is really best regarded as a code name; it doesn't really mean anything by itself. Also, the words echo "bounty hunter".

Note: Early versions of the script were titled "Android" and, later on, "Dangerous Days", before ultimately "Blade Runner" was chosen as the title

And fyi Bladerunner is coming on the SyFy Channel, directors cut.
  18. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 10
  19. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
  20. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 10
    Ok, this is awesome. I'll take it either way. With Deckard they have serious decisions to make. If Deckard is a Replicant they have to use cgi and makeup to make him appear young. If they make him human then no biggy on that topic. If Deckard is on then where is Sean Young? She is Rachel and that's that.
  21. Chancellor_Ewok Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Not necessarily they could explain his age by not giving him a termination date. Rachael didn't have one...
  22. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 10
    Hmmm, what you say makes sense and could potentially lend to "more human than human". [face_thinking]
  23. duende Jedi Master

star 5
    this is so bizarre considering how down on the film harrison's been over the years.
  24. mrsvos Jedi Master

star 5
    And thanks for making me think for 5 seconds that dweeb was unbanned
    *is willing to grant favors for that never to happen*