main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Blu-Ray release Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DarthPoppy, Sep 6, 2011.

?

New Blu-Ray release Yea or Nay?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2011.
  1. Yea! Already pre-ordered

20.0%
  2. Yea! Will buy it retail

31.4%
  3. Yea! I get everything Lucas releases eventually

2.9%
  4. Nay! Waiting for the 3D super-definitive version

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nay! NOOOO! Made me say No

2.9%
  6. Nay! Happy with my DVDs

2.9%
  7. Taking a wait and see approach....

37.1%
  8. Other (please explain)

2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    So, are you excited? Disappointed?

2. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I pre-ordered back in June, and I'm super excited to dig into the Blu-Ray set when I get it. :) Can't wait 'till the 16th!

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't pre-order but I plan to buy it.

4. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Rats. I hit wait and see when I tried voting for Nooo made me say no.[face_frustrated]

5. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    I'll wait and see.

6. Dinkus_Mayhem

Dinkus_Mayhem Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2006
    Taking a wait and see approach, though I am leaning toward No! Not a fan of the constant changes, it is stupid. The story worked very well as it was, no reason at all to revise what is considered a top 10 classic film at this point.

7. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I've watched the leaks of the OT. I weeped tears of joy. Forget all VHS, DVD, and fan edits.

Star Wars is BACK FOR GOOD.

EDIT: Regarding the "NO" change... The best way to deal with it is to feel as if you've never seen ROTJ before. If you don't know it "doesn't belong" there, it doesn't bother you. That said, when you're watching the BluRays you'll feel as if you've never seen these movies before because, well, in HD they feel like brand new movies.

8. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Yep, preordered. I'm a sucker that way. :p

9. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I went digging through my post history just to find my statement on the matter. Lucky you. :p

Ultimately, if you are buying the new set then I hope you get enjoyment out of it. Just don't invite me around to watch, or I'll quite probably smash your new investment with a bloody great big hammer![face_skull]

10. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Not to open up a can of worms, but I really can't see people who've never seen ROTJ accepting the NOOOOOOO. They'll think it's stupid and very inconsistent with his character.

11. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    And for established fans it's hard to see the edit as anything but a passive agressive reponse to the fans that didn't like Vader in ROTS.

It definately seems too much of a coincidence that at the time some fans were complaining about Hayden Christensen he is added to the 2004 OT DVD release, and now that the main controversy is "NOOOOOOO!!!" Vader is suddenly yelling it in the 2011 OT blu-ray release.

12. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    [face_laugh]okay, i'll bite. how is it stupid and inconsistent with his character?

13. Dinkus_Mayhem

Dinkus_Mayhem Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2006
    When has Vader ever shown a bit of emotion towards his son besides the final fight of RotJ? Now all of a sudden he is going to show remorse at his potential death in ESB? How is that believable at all when he just sliced off his hand without a second thought at the end of a brutal duel?

Please. Vader showing concern for Luke and screaming NOOOOO as he watches him jump to his potential death is very out of character for him at that point in his life.

Then 1 movie later we are supposed to feel any kind of real tension in the second duel between Luke and Vader when we are supposed to be watching a duel that depicts Vader trying to off his son, kinda ruins the emotional tension between the characters have built up during RotJ.

What purpose does adding these changes make? They change the emotion/personality/motive of the character, a character who is one of the most iconic villains of all time. Big risk making unnecessary changes like that.

14. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    it was cooler when luke fell down that shaft without screaming, and it was cooler when vader threw the emperor without screaming. discipline, control, jedi stuff. i don't care how many more cgi characters get thrown into(or taken out of) the prequel trilogy. the whole thing can just do whatever it wants. but what really steams my beans is when they have to go messing with the original trilogy which we've all grown up and loved in it's cinematic oringallness. the old lady with the monkey eyes, the ewok dance party, the fact that han DID shoot first, and the day back when jabba's palace had music that was cool and chilled out, not some crazy cgi bad sci-fi costume freakout. most of the people that say they don't mind the changes are prequel era star wars fans. sorry, you just are. so go ahead and let uncle george monkey with your trilogy. as for everybody else that doesn't want to see unnecessary changes thrown in all willy-nilly, that's normal. it only means that you are sane.

15. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010

=D==D=

as for the "will I buy the blue rays i suppose that depends,

and what's with the new noooo scene? or do I not want to know? :p

16. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    I think it's hardly fair to blame Lucas or the Blu Ray changes for a "mental breakdown," Chewie. With all respect, I think there's some underlying stuff you have going on which is totally unrelated to changes being made to a film series. Maybe I'm wrong, though. [face_peace] But I did take the liberty of looking up the term "mental breakdown," and...

This happened to you? Because of a film?

I appreciate that you're upset and everything, and I appreciate how Star Wars has helped you through so much. I can say the same for myself. But really, at the end of the day, they're just movies! Nothing to sweat over. I think Lucas might've added the "Noooo" to poke fun at the fans who take all this stuff too seriously. :p

Wait a second, there's an added "noooo" in ESB? I thought we were talking about ROTJ only. I don't agree with the ROTJ "nooo," but to play devil's advocate, I think Lucas was trying to draw a parallel between how Vader felt when he lost Padme, and the feeling that he was going to lose Luke in the same way. A connecting the saga sorta thing.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was five years old when I saw "Star Wars" in the theater in 1977. I saw ESB and did not believe that Vader was really Luke's father. I had a mad crush on Han Solo when ROTJ premiered. I grew up on the originals, and yes, I like the prequels. I'm not sure what you mean by "prequel era" Star Wars fans--people who like the prequels? Or are you making the assumption that those of us who don't mind the SEs and the Blu-Ray changes are not as "mature" as the rest of you?

I don't know if the former is correct, we'd have to have a poll on that one, but I can assure you that the latter is both incorrect and uncalled for, as is your insinuation that those of us who don't mind the changes are "insane."

18. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Did you read my first reason?

The change in the movie isn't just a change in a movie, it's a change in a huge part of my life. And as I don't deal with minor change (If someone moves a room around I can end up not sleeping for days) then how am I supposed to deal with something that is to me massive? Yes I broke down over it. The next day I had to cancel (well my mum had to cancel) going to the bank to sign very important documents for my PA.

And yes, I feel like George is to blame, seeing as it's just him that made the changes.

19. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    not to sound like a complete monkey butt, but, quickly researching on the internet about medical conditions of the brain is in what you yourself term as "simplistic".

I've had many shrinks, psychologists and CBT therapists over the years and all say one thing "everyones brain is different" simple text book definitions don't work in cases like this, as it's not a broken arm.

Just thought I'd point this out :p

20. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    The day is here...now for Amazon to ship them...

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I have Amazon Prime and it shipped last night and it is out for delivery today! When I get home from work I will have it! I pre-ordered it from Amazon on 1/7, the same day it was announced. I can't wait. This set is THE entire reason I bought a PS3.

22. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Skipped out of work on my lunch break to pick up the BluRays at Costco. :)

23. obisgirlfan

obisgirlfan Jedi Master

Nov 25, 2008
    Besides the fact I don't have a Blu-Ray, even if this version came out as standard DVD - I still would not buy it because from Darth Vader's unnecessary "Nooo" to a random dug wondering around Jabba's palace and Wicket's blinking eyes - these so-called edits are ridiculous. I stand with the bunch who want the original movies, as they were first seen theatrically to be released on DVD. Then yes, I would buy them.

24. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    I have been reading on this.... this 'NOOOOO' from Vader at the end of ROTJ is not really needed. What surprises me is that Hayden Christian was not digitally aged and seen when luke took off Vader's mask. That could have been really cool if done right.

CGI Yoda was MUCH needed in TPM. That puppet was far worse than what was seen in TESB and ROTJ. Hope that works out well.

I will not pay 140 bucks for this right now, the price will come down. And so will blue ray players. I can wait.

25. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Sorry if I'm being dense, but I just don't see how this can be. If you don't want to watch it, then don't. It's not like somebody forced you to buy SW Blu-Ray, tied you to a chair, and made you watch it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.