main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph New Book Releases (Week of 16 Sept.)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Mastadge, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    This thread is fairly straightforward: Talking about each week's new book releases. Obviously my posts will be focused on the books I'm interested in; feel free to post your own releases of the week..

On SALE TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 16:

The House of the Stag by Kage Baker -- A new fantasy novel by Kage Baker, set in the world of her novel The Anvil of the World. A new Kage Baker is always something to look forward to. I believe this one is the story of Lord Ermenwyr's father.

An Evil Guest by Gene Wolfe -- Gene Wolfe is one of America's finest living writers, in or out of the genre. This new novel is a pulp noir adventure set about a century in the future.

The Long Look by Richard Parks -- Richard Parks is one of fantasy fiction's finest storytellers (his first collection won the World Fantasy Award); this is his first novel and it's lovely. It's the most successful bad guy as good guy book I've ever read: It's protagonist is Tymon the Black, an "evil wizard" who's actually a very good guy, but is cursed with the Long Look which lets him see what will happen in the future, unless he intervenes with history, so he has to make the choice to do long term good even though he'll be seen by history as a villain. Witty, with wonderful characters, I was fortunate enough to receive an ARC and I highly recommend picking up the book. It's published by Five Star Press, who mostly sell to libraries, so you won't find this one on a shelf in a bookstore, but they'll be able to special order it for you or it can be got online.

Star Wars: Republic Commando: Order 66 by Karen Traviss -- The fourth Republic Commando novel.

The Wyrmling Horde by David Farland -- New Runelords novel. Haven't read any since book three maybe.

So that's what's on my radar this week. I'll be getting at least the first three, maybe the fourth. Probably not the fifth unless I decide to revisit the series at some point.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    And, of course, the new Malazan book is out in the US today (I haven't gotten around to reading the first one, but eventually these will be on my "to get" list ;) ).

3. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Star Wars: Republic Commando: Order 66 by Karen Traviss -- The fourth Republic Commando novel.

That's been on shelf here for a week now. :p

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I just picked it up yesterday. I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but hopefully soon...

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I enjoyed Anvil of the World; I didn't realise she was doing a sequel. I look forward to it.

6. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Paul Of Dune was released on Sept. 16

7. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    If you enjoy Kage Baker's fantasy I recommend the Parks -- they have similar sensibilities and senses of humor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.