main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Broken Allegiance behind the scenes featurette released this week

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Vidman, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidman

Vidman Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2001
    This week will be the release of the ninth installment of the BA bts docos.

This most recent one has by far been the hardest to put together, and is the longest of all the previous docos, running for 14 mins.

It covers many of the post production and effects done for BA from editing, storyboards, CGI, compositing, design, pyrotechnics, and so on.

Featured interviews include:

Nick Hallam - Director/Co-Editor
    Stephen Rees - Co-Editor
    H. Gibbens & Cameron Smith - Lead Digital Effects Artists
    Ole Sturm - Lead Compositor

Editing of this featurette is essentially complete and compression will be done during this week.

Expect this one available for download by the weekend.

2. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Look forward to seeing it. It will give me something to do during my break between classes.

3. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    sweet, can't wait, is this going to be on your own server or the TF.N backup server?

4. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    oooh, this is the one I have been waiting for! The CG and editing on BA was the best part of that film! Thanks for keeping the bts doccos comming nick!

5. ---VADER---

---VADER--- Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2002
    Great! I have been looking forward to this for a long time now. Hopefully some questions will be answered and I can't wait to see the process and techniques used. Thanks for the update :)

---VADER---

6. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    Sounds awesome. :) I look forward to finally seeing it.

7. Vidman

Jan 18, 2001
    It will be posted on the high speed BA server - where our website now exists - and also linked to the TFN page.

8. Vidman

Jan 18, 2001
    Compression is complete.

The new featurette will be released within the next 24 hours.

Running time is 13½ mins and download is 49mb.

9. brokenglassltd

brokenglassltd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2002
    WHAT, no Niobe!? There, we said it for the rest of you!
    The film is at 320 x240, right? 13 minutes, 49 Mg . . . that sounds about right.

10. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Seems to be a problem with the downloads.. the new one's not up yet, but I wasn't able to download any of the other ones.

11. Npoz1

Npoz1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    I thought it was great! and it downloaded very fast around 400 kb/sec for me! I wanted to know a little bit more about those pyro stuff and steam on the black. How did you shoot it, a black screen and then the stuff in front, because on the bts the black looked so pure. What was your lighting setup like for this? Also would it be possible for you to put up those videos full size on the website for all of us to use? Keep up the good work,
    -Noah

12. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    That was really cool, entertaining and very informative. Most impressive.

13. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    They're all back up now.. I'm guessing I was probably trying to download them at the same time ya'll were doing the modifications to the site to upload the new one.

Very nice bits! I'm considering burning them all onto an SVCD for my own "2-disc special edition" of BA (I've already got the film on SVCD.. looks very cool on the TV. And yes, it's only a SINGLE copy for my own enjoyment).

14. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    That thing with the Tea kettle was cool, and so simple, makes me wish I'd thought of it.

15. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    where is it?

16. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    Macho, you can find the FX Doco at the BA website under the Media > Video section.

Nick, I must say, that was a really cool documentary. My favourite up to date, heh, its what us CG artists would be looking forward to no doubt. I would never've thought so much time was invested into everything. All these little docos is what makes me like the film all the much more :)

Carl

17. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    yeah i found it...i agree with carl. I was very, very impressed with how much work you did on it. You had to rotospline, all the people, that must have been tourture.

18. Vidman

Jan 18, 2001
  19. predinator

predinator Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2001
    Nice one.
    It just goes to show the degree of Professionalism the film was made with.

All the best,
    Pred

20. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    vidman would there be anychance that those explosions will be put up for download?

i was watching the video again and noticed that you guys added bluescreen in the windows of the bridge model. Why did you add bluescreen, why didn't you just render out the model with an alpha channel?

21. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Am I the only one who can't open the vid site?

M. Scott

22. Vidman

Jan 18, 2001
    Thanks guys for the comments.

There are no plans to openly release all the pyro explosions at this stage.

Macho - we didnt use greescreen on the bridge windows - we of course used an alpha channel. The green was only put there for the benefit of the doco to demontsrate the difference between the bridge background and the stars layer. Had I just used alpha channel it would have come out black and been very difficult to differentiate from the stars, making the explanation impossible to see.

Could I request one of the moderators to lock this thread so all official feedback on this doco can be moved to the other thread.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.