main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New Canon Fallout: The Gap Between 4,5 and Shadows of the Empire's fate

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tanjint, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    When I think about the New EU, one of the things I've been pondering the most vigorously is the Fate of Shadows of the Empire. I particularly wonder about it because it seems to me Disney/LFL would do just as well to keep it.

I guess before I continue I should say, all the cherry-picking Disney is doing makes me think the old EU hasn't so much been wiped as much as Disney reserves a right to contradict it going forward.

Anyway, Disney has lots of episode gaps to cover with content: between 4 and 5 is being handled by Marvel it seems. Between 6 and 7 is happening in novels, though at a snail's pace. Between 1 and 2 is also happening in comics. 2 and 3's gap remain covered by the multimedia, multi movie and multi show project that is TCW. The gap between 3 and 4 is being covered by Rebels and a new film .

This leaves previous to episode 1 and still a whole lot of space between 6 and 7.

Do you guys think that post-Rebels we'll see Filoni and other gap-fillers focus their sights on the between 5 ad 6 gap or the between 7 and 8 gap? I don't see them working on the 6 and 7 gap to a huge extent til episode 9 is out so I feel like the end of Rebels and the end of the new trilogy of the episode saga will be around the same time.

Cause to me this answer will tell us a lot- if they want to do new content between 5 and 6 then SOTE would be wiped but if they're gonna jump right into the 6 and 7 gap that we're so hungry for then I could see them not bothering with it and I would take that as an implicit preservation of SOTE.

You know what I think would be cool would be if Disney made an animated SOTE film to fill the 5 and 6 gap but I don't know, what say y'all?

2. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I just read an interview on IGN with the guy overseeing the SW line of comics at Marvel. He said that they are getting ready to start telling stories in other eras. They've already done PT era (Kanan and now OB1 & Anakin) and post-RotJ (Shattered Empire and now Poe). The rest are set between 4-5. So far, there's been nothing between 5-6 in any medium. Now, considering that we see the Outrider in the SE's and Falleen in TCW (I think they even mentioned Black Sun), SotE could still be canonized. Think about it....even GL was involved with SotE's creation. So, yeah, I think they'll canonize it.

I also wanted to mention that the new canon novels have been set in between 3-4, 4-5, and 6-7. And, I agree with you, I don't think we'll be getting much "substantial substance" post-RotJ until after Ep. 9...which really irritates me as that is my favorite era.

Tanjint likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you want to see what happened after Hoth, you need to read Battlefront: Twilight Company....

4. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    [​IMG]

SoTE, which I LOVED as a young'un when it first came out (I bought the book, the game, the comics, the action figures, the trading cards, the soundtrack, etc, etc), is a bit problematic now. For many reasons. Lets leave it to Legends, and let new material come into play that takes full advantage of what's happening in the new canon material.

5. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    Skywalker2B What new canon novels take place between 3/4 and 4/5?

Jedi Ben your avatar is awesome

Taalcon I'd be excited to see new stories too but I guess logistically I'm wondering if they'll postpone such an endeavor in favor of doing between 6 and 7 content since it seems Rebels and Episode 9 will finish around the same time. And while certainly media from both eras can come out simultaneously maybe what I'm really wondering is which era the next animated show will be about. Part of me can see them continuing Rebels into the post episode 4 era or post episode 5 era but part of me can see them jumping to do a kid's show of "The Adventures of Ben Solo & Chewbacca" with a teenage Ben or something.

6. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

I would expect once Star Wars and Darth Vader comics hit the Empire Strikes Back, they will continue - just like the Marvel books did, to follow other events during and following ESB. This time around, they have the advantage of being able to plan for and be aware of the major story beats coming rather than scramble to accommodate them.

As noted before Battefront Twiight Company is a book that begins before Battle of the Hoth, and ends shortly after (and, timeline wise, probably before all of the events of ESB end). The Leia novel Moving Target features an adventure she went on following Empire Strikes Back, and involves a new discovery of the DSII and the stealing of the Imperial Shuttle.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    spicer, DelRiego and Tanjint like this.
  8. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Shadows of the Empire should be canon. Lucas approved it, Lucas added a bunch of Shadows of the Empire references into Star Wars Special Edition, and Black Sun and the Falleen played a role in The Clone Wars cartoon series and have been referenced in the new canon as well. It seems dumb to throw out such a well known and fairly significant bridge story.

9. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

Could you elaborate on how it is problematic? I always thought it was one of the stronger stories told in the old EU.

10. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Shadows of the Empire isn't a part of the new Expanded Universe nor will it be but for the time being you can chuck it in-between 5 and 6 which is a vacant area for the time being if you want. I don't doubt for a minute that they won't remake it in some way, shape or form.

Tanjint likes this.
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I can see SOTE surviving as indirect references. I can even see Dash and the Human Replica Droids returning in some fashion, and very probably by those exact names.

Xizor.... Xizor, however, will be Darth Maul. He'll still hit on Leia.

fett 4 and WMIRTUTSF like this.
  12. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Tanjint,

To answer your question:

Lords of the Sith
    Tarkin
    A New Dawn

They all take place between episodes 3 and 4.

Heir to the Jedi is between ANH and ESB.

Tanjint likes this.
  13. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    Tarkin and LOTS came out after the Disney transition? Wow.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  14. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Yup. AND was the first of the new official canon. It was released first, then Tarkin, then LotS.

Jedi Ben and Tanjint like this.
  15. Erik290121

Erik290121 Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2016
    I heard somewhere that 2-3 years has passed Rebels in-universe, and that Season 3 will update models to better reflect that. If it continues at this pace I doubt it will last far past Season 3.

To be honest I still feel the now Legends Force Unleashed series portrayed the development of the Rebel Alliance better than the TV show, but that's irrelevant.

I just wish there was more information about the 14 year time gap between Episode 3 and Rebels.

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Rebels started a few months before Ezra's 15th birthday and he's been stated to be about 16 now--so realistically it's been maybe a year and a half, not 2-3 years.

17. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Unlike The Clone Wars (which had several seasons compressed to fit into one in-universe year), it seems like each real world year correlates with an in-universe year in Rebels.

2014 - Rebels first half of Season 1 - Ezra is 14 (5 BBY)
    2015 - Rebels 2nd half of Season 1 and 1st half of Season 2 - Ezra is 15 (4 BBY)
    2016 - Rebels 2nd half of Season 2 and 1st half of Season 1 - Ezra is 16 (3 BBY)

In regards to the subject of this thread, it still seems that Shadows of the Empire can fit into Disney canon (so far) in fans' heads if they wish. I have also been re-reading the sequel comic 'Shadows of the Empire: Evolution', and it seems to be one of the few post-ROTJ works of the old EU that can easily fit in the new canon.
    The problem I had with 'The Force Unleashed' was its clashing with canon in regards to Bail Organa, even before the Disney buyout. As Leia ironically mentions in a recent Rebels episode, Alderaan would lose its seat in the Senate if the Organas were ever found to be backing the Rebel Alliance.

Yet in the old EU's The Force Unleashed, Palpatine and Vader catch Bail Organa red-handed in Rebel work, yet apparently let him live on Alderaan unharmed for years to come and let him and then his daughter continue to serve in the Senate.

While Mon Mothma and Garm Bel Iblis had consistently been portrayed as fugitives in Legends, this was never the case with Bail Organa (because he wasn't portrayed as such in ANH, per Leia's initial denials to Vader of being a Rebel in the film). This wouldn't make sense if Vader already knew Bail was a Rebel. I don't believe any explanation for the discrepancy regarding Bail was ever made in Legends.

Darthmaul208, Jedi Ben and Tanjint like this.
  18. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    @Erick290121,

Keep in mind that the tv show, Rebels, is not showing the development of the Rebel Alliance. It is only showing how one resistance cell on a planet joins up with an already existing Rebel Alliance. We still don't know how the Rebellion is "born" in the new canon.

Tanjint likes this.
  19. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Moving Target currently takes place between 5 and 6. It's in the kids section, but it still counts.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Erik290121

Erik290121 Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2016

Yeah, at the end of Season 1 the main cast just ran into the Rebel Fleet, which even by then was fairly formidable. Given how much reverence the team has for Ahsoka throughout Season 1, I'm guessing she and a few other characters were busy helping form the Rebel Alliance years before the show picks up. Gotta wonder what stuff went down between 19BBY-6BBY.

True. I guess I just liked seeing the rivalries between Vader and the Emperor, as non canon as it may be.

Tanjint likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [quote="Erik290121, post: 53241008, member: 1416356" I guess I just liked seeing the rivalries between Vader and the Emperor, as non canon as it may be.[/quote]

Oh, I'd say Gillen's continuing that just fine - tale a look at the Darth Vader #16 preview for a moment of supreme bitchiness from Vader to his boss.

22. SexyRey

SexyRey Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    No more Filioni please. Give me more comics, novels, anthology films and video games to flesh out new Star Wars stories. I want quality storytelling. Not Darth Maul versus Luke Skywalker, because "why not?!".

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's not at all canon, but the Star Wars Tales story Resurrection had a lot of fun with a Vader vs Maul duel.

Tanjint and Iron_lord like this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maul in TCW is a Lucas thing.

Skywalker2B and Tanjint like this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Leland Chee did promote it from "Infinities" to "C-canon" at least:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Resurrection

so, for the Legendsverse at least, it happened.

Tanjint likes this.