main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga New canon inconsistencies: lightsabers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BadCane, Jan 7, 2016.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Blue, green, yellow and purple are just random. The result of the Jedi's methods for creating the Lightsaber and integrating the parts together. Red is the result of a dark side adept constructing the saber a different way, which results in the blade "bleeding". The Jedi will find the connection point, the balance within and the saber will come together. When Ezra constructed his first saber, the blade came out blue. The second saber came out green. If he builds another, it'll probably be blue. Anakin and Obi-wan both came up with blue when the built their new sabers. Then Anakin became Vader and built a new saber, resulting in red because he used the dark side and constructed it differently. Rey could build her own saber and it would either come out blue, green, purple or yellow.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    On the contrary. It's makes the creation of a lightsaber something special and spiritual. As opposed to a process that anybody can do by following a manual.

psyarg and DementedMeerkat like this.
  3. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    It seems pretty superficially "spiritual" and doesn't enhance the symbolism above what it already is, intuitively, to the audience. Red - Bad. All other "randoms" - Good (except when Vader uses it).

4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    It does, but to me, that's never been an issue to me. I've never seen a problem with lightsabers being able to be constructed by just anyone. Anyone can use one, why shouldn't they be able to make one. I don't know, to me it just seems too contrived.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not everyone can use it for what's intended. Anyone can pick one and press the button, but to use it properly and efficiently? No. That still requires training and being able to be in tune with the Force. It's only natural that the same applies to build one.

psyarg likes this.
  6. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I get the idea of crystals needing some inducement to operateprecisely they way they do in a saber.

But the Jedi having bespoke idiosyncratic technology only they can use with the crystals is not established.

And the ability of Erso to harness the crystal properties to power a super laser confirms that.

7. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    so did the whole synthetic crystal - red lightsaber thing get retconned? (assuming I am remembering that right)

I actually think the idea that you have to be a jedi to build a lightsaber is pretty cool. I could imagine a lot of cool ways that force powers could be required to build a lightsaber

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It did. (Not that it was all that strictly adhered to in the EU anyway).

There's hints that there's such a thing as "synthetic Kyber crystals" - but they have have nothing to do with lightsabers. Instead, Galen Erso of Rogue One, is trying to make them - it's not clear if he succeeds or not.

But the Inquisitors and Sith Lords use natural kyber crystals in their lightsabers.

9. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Very true.

10. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001

I believe that is exactly what happened -- and I happen to think it is an apt comparison.

I probably should -- and they probably should remaster the movies to make it Red. I know they never will - so I am posting tongue in cheek -- but it actually makes sense to me that is Kyber Crystals are living things -- they would attune their color to their purpose in this case.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Who said the color of the Death Star laser beam came from the kyber crystal? There's no evidence of that.

12. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016

There's absolutely nothing to differentiate the real-life importance of the properties of certain crystals to creating laser beams from their association in Star Wars (only confirmed in the movies as of Rogue one as the key component of the death star laser and Jedi sabers)

Crystals are required for lasers. This is clearly the inspiration for the working of laser technology in Star Wars. It's not a coincidence. passing through a crystal amplified due to the excitement of the medium (in many cases, a crystal) and radiates, adopting the colour of the medium as a result.

The colour of the medium ordinarily determines the colour of the laser beam that's emitted.

Even if you take the colour part out, it would be extremely perverse for crystals to be required for two laser weapons but the crystal and the laser that the weapon produces to be unconnected in either weapon.

A saber is not a super laser. But they are both laser weapons that require crystals.

It's like saying that blasters in Star Wars may use gas for fuel like they are in theoretical charged gas (plasma) weapons in reality - but they do not use charged gas to produce a "laser" blast.

13. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    It could be based on the green beam seen emanating from the giant Kyber crystal seen in TCW, that comes directly from the crystal with no other machinery attached.

Martoto77 likes this.
  14. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Since the Force can be equated somewhat with electromagnetic phenomenon in real life, and it is electromagnetic radiation that excites a crystal in a laser beam, I can conceive that the force can spontaneously affect a kaiber without the need for technology.

15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    "Long ago in forgotten times, when the Sith and Jedi fought for control of the galaxy, weapons there were, of unimaginable power. Always at their heart, a kyber crystal was." -Yoda

It's not outright stated but it is heavily implied that both Death Stars and SKB by extension are powered by giant kyber crystals. I don't think the color has any significance though, we only saw two colors, green and red. Ahsoka's white lightsabers probably came from her healing the crystals from the inquisitor's corruption though Filoni did say it was also to show that she's neither a Jedi nor a Sith but a neutral Force wielder.

Nibelung likes this.
  16. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Wait, Ahsoka has a white lightsaber? That's two previously verboten colors Dave Filoni has snuck into SW official canon(s) now.

17. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    If you're talking about the darksaber, according to Dave Filoni it came straight from GL.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/01/28/star-wars-are-you-ready-for-the-mandalorians

We don't know yet if Ahsoka's white lightsabers came from his discussions with GL though.

18. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    This just proves how little attachment George had with the EU.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  19. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    I was actually talking about the yellow Jedi Temple Guard lightsabers in The Clone Wars. I recall hearing that George Lucas told Filoni not to make Ahsoka's blades yellow for TCW, but Filoni reused the idea for the Temple Guards and it slipped through the cracks.

No idea where TCW stacks up in the Disney canon, but Filoni definitely has past form for getting unusual lightsaber colors on screen.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I said as much.

That's mostly correct, yes.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's not what is being said. It's the way the Jedi assemble the Lightsaber that results in it coming out with the four typical colors, not any piece of technology that helps it along.

He's said it for years that they were two different worlds and the last thing he had to say on the subject, stated that what he has direct control over is what goes. In this case, he didn't like the idea of a vibroblade being capable of standing up to a Lightsaber. He hadn't read the books and comics on the subject, but after seeing it in action, he realized it didn't work.

Both cartoon series are seen as equal to the films. That's why RO had a few Easter Eggs from "Rebels" in it and including the first cinematic reference to Kyber crystals. There's no major hierarchy as before.

22. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    How exactly does Jedi assembly of the components differ from convenientonal construction.

Special Jedi construction is not canon to my knowledge. Nor is it plausible. Unless we are taking about molecular manipulation of the components, other than the crystal, which technology cannot replicate.

I hear you on the EU being a different world. It's just that discarding EU for a better idea is often labelled, elsewhere, as as an un-Georgething to do since the LFL sale.

23. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    If the color of the Lightsaber is not the same as the color of the Kyber crystal (unless the crystal is clear)....... then that is just, well, DUMB.

Oh yeah... well I have a blue crystal in my saber, but the blade is green... because of you know... reasons

24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    That's the thing, kyber crystals are colorless until the bonding process.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No. I'm saying that there's nothing indicating that the color of the Death Star laser beam comes from the crystal it uses. Precisely because it has been established that kyber crystals are colorless and that they only get a color once someone and the crystal are attuned with one another. And that in the case of the lightsaber, it's the crystal that gives color to the blade. That's obviously not the case with the crystal used in Death Star. Not only we don't know what provides the color of the laser beam, but nobody attuned with it (harmoniously) either. It was used for it's power.

I was going to say that since the episode was unfinished, we couldn't tell what was the real color of the crystal. We do know that they are meant to be transparent, as previously established in the series. The fact that it's green in the proxy animation means nothing. However, it appears that they had to compromise a bit as we can see in the original concept art:

[​IMG]

"The crystal should be mostly transparent, with the green areas and highlights being the most opaque."