main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and Eps. 8 & 9 - CAUTION: SPOILERS A'PLENTY!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 30, 2015.

1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  2. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    oncafar likes this.
  3. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003
    Man I'm so giddy after reading EE. Where do I start?

Ubraniff Zalkaz and DarthIshyZ like this.
  4. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016

From whatever point you want to talk about the most. I'd really like to hear your opinion since I was the lonely early bird reader last week. :)

5. Darphus_Mon

Aug 23, 2003
    First of all, I'm pretty excited that one of my theories about the FO was correct:
    I had said that Rax and the FO was Vader's back up plan if
    Luke didn't work out. Rax and The FO were a contigency plan...for Palpatine. So I was pretty close. But I like how we pretty much have the origin of the FO in EE. Which now makes sense as to why they so closely resemble the old Empire (star destroyers, similar outfits, stormtroopers, TIES, etc.) The FO is truly an extension of the old Empire.

Also liked more info on Jakku, Ben Solo, possible origins of the KOR and what they might be a part of...

And starting to form who/what Snoke really is...

Dra--- likes this.
  6. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I'm getting there, I think there is lots of good stuff in this book. Did answer a few questions that I had.

7. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Other preview images for Rebels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  8. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Darphus_Mon We don't need spoiler tags here as per mods and the headline. So post freely. :)

Really good thinking on your part. I have several questions:

Do you think that the malevolent presence, that was sending Palpatine signals from UR, was manipulating his fall or the fall just happened without an extra plotter behind it?

Do you think that the malevolent presence originates from UR or is trying to return to GFFA? I find it interesting that Palp was ready to break GFFA and rule UR instead, and that's where FO should have stayed, but they returned with the brand spankin Supreme Leader. So why return? Because GFFA wasn't destroyed so they were, like, what the hell lets start it all over or something else?

burg2774 and IncessantRamblings like this.
  9. Darphus_Mon

Aug 23, 2003

What great questions! I think the fall happened without extra plotters. However, what a mind blowing idea that the master manipulator was manipulated. I really like the idea of Snoke being that UR presence. I have a hard time thinking the two knew each other as equals. Otherwise, why was Snoke never an apprentice of Palps? I thought Snoke could have been part of the contingency plan, but now I'm not sure. I do think Snoke has an axe to grind in the GFFA - hence his inclusion in the FO. Now that I've completed EE, I need to reconsider my Snoke theories.

What are your thoughts?

10. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I also believe Snoke is the that presence and that he has been controlling the strings the whole time. Like Palpatine said, everyone was a game piece on the board, even him.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  11. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

I really wonder if Gallius Rax was supposed to be Snoke and they went with another direction.

12. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
  13. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Darphus_Mon I can't decide whether Snoke/malevolent presence is a very ancient thing that originated in UR and never set foot in GFFA until becoming the Supreme leader of FO, or that he is a very ancient thing that originated in GFFA, was banished/fled in UR, and then basically lured Palpatine into sending him a ready-made fleet. I need your and everyone's help with this.

14. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    i like both :) but we have no way to know which one is correct...i feel that somehow this is not that important if it originates from the GFFA or not. To me what would make a difference is to know whether Snoke is some ancient entity -a sort of SW equivalent to a demon, Sauron-style- or if he's just a normal living creature with dark side powers like Palpatine, a "simple" mortal. In either case the fact that he once belonged to the galaxy we know or not wouldnt make any difference IMO.

15. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    The PiedPiper of Alderaan if he is the malevolent presence that haunts dreams of adults, teens and unborn babies, than he may be something more than a dodgy looking mortal. The book uses the phrase "some origin of the Force" so unless it's completely meaningless, it does hint at different kind of being than what we met so far (humans and aliens).

Moreover, he should be Sauron-like, as you say, in order to distinguish this trilogy from the other 2. Yet another powah hungry human/humanoid wouldn't cut it especially amid accusations of recycling ANH. And then there's the question of the awakening. Why have it, and two no less, if the threat is the same level as before?

All that assuming that EE carries important development for ST. It could totally happen that none of EE stuff that intrigues us makes it into ST, but is more like trivia for hardcore fans that doesn't contradict canon, but doesn't play a major role in movies either.

16. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    hana_solo it would be quite disappointing for all of it to be just "food for tie in novels" indeed. But the very idea of a dark side source/entity seems too important not to be in the movies so...fingers crossed :)

We know so little about Snoke...some have already relegated him to Palpatine bis but i feel there's more to him than that and yes EE seems to strongly imply he's some cosmic entity of sort. Some dark side demon...but maybe Snoke and this dark side source are not one and the same, and Snoke is just some dark side guy who found that "source" first? Not that i wouldnt like it...

All in all i just hope that his origin and his goal will make him a distinct iconic character in his own right. As you said we've already seen power-hungry humans/humanoids as villains.

Dra--- and IncessantRamblings like this.
  17. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    I'm trying not to be too excited about our version cause Snokester told Kylo in the novelization that he had other students but Kylo was the masterpiece. Really creepy line. But anyway, a bad guy who had students, ick, that's so been there done that. That's why I'm bracing myself for basically a Sith 2.0 without being called a Sith. Unless they chopped that line from the movie when revised Snoke's origin, if there was such a thing.

18. Darphus_Mon

Aug 23, 2003
    I'm thinking he can't be too otherworldly, or why would he be concerned with the NR? Why/how did he get Sloane, Hux et al to sign on with some random bad dark side guy? If the FO was concerned about doing the Empire the right way, what would they need Snoke for? To be their resident dark side wizard? They (newly minted FO) seemed like they had everything they needed. And what about Han and Leia's chat where they mention Snoke like he's someone they know?

Unless Snoke took over by force (where's Sloane now?), no pun intended, or could offer them something normal leaders couldn't: Power and knowledge?

But unless Snoke's endgame is what the original "first order" was, then what's his deal? Pure chaos for chaos sake?

...or, just a thought, the NR is a red herring to lure Luke and Leia out and destroy any last vestiges of the Jedi and the light side...

19. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    hmm indeed the FO's very pragmatic goal -return of the Empire's ideals in a purer form- doesnt seem to fit with Snoke as an ancient dark side entity from the"beyond".. maybe it's possible but we dont know enough to theorize it. But it raises some questions...

Yep, i hope they wont make him a sith 2.0 without the name...we can only speculate for the moment. But to be a satisfying villain he HAS to bring something new to the lore or/and characterization.

You might watch TFA and think "Seems that guy is the new Palpatine." But if by episode IX the feeling is "oh indeed it was Palpatine all over again" then the character will have failed.

20. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    IMO, Snoke is aligned with FO because they had no guts to make a movie with just Force users. So they had to create Empire knock-off for Rebellion knock-off because they thought only the Force movie would smack too much of PT and they wanted to bring back OT feel.

But I'm hoping that Ahch-to part of the story is such success that they decide to split the Force story from the Resistance/Republic story post IX and maybe give us a solo Force movie. Where they can go crazy without having to intersect the story with dullfest known as what Poe and his squad are doing. [face_shame_on_you] Sorry but I cannot forgive that boring dogfight cutting through the Snow Fight. I'm planning to get a Phantom Edit when the whole trilogy is out where the Resistance will be edited out of the existence. Can't freakin wait.

21. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    the same here and the lack of force related stories so far were quite a bummer. I really hope the Ach-to story is a starting point to get much more of this. :D

22. Darphus_Mon

Aug 23, 2003
    Unless Sloane and Hux start to realize they need a dark side presence (as the combo of military and "magic" are a killer duo) like Palps had. Hence why we end up with Kylo and Hux. I do like the idea, though, that Snoke is playing a game with all of them (see SW chess). Like, if Snoke is some dark side entity looking for more power, he's using, literally, everyone to get it. I've posted those cryptic comments about SKB from TFA novelization about dark energy. My theory is that SKB was just a test for Snoke to be able to find ways to increase his dark side energy. ..

On a side note, did I miss the EE discussion of the chess pieces? Could they be a ST clue?

23. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    yes, there's Rogue One (pretty Force free save Chirrut's belief which was more belief and less Force usage) and Han Solo flick. That's quite enough for the non-Force side of things. The Force movie is due. nightangel

Darphus_Mon Sauron also used armies though technically he didn't need them. So there's still hope that Snoke is after something beyond just political rule and that FO may be a diversion.

24. Darphus_Mon

Aug 23, 2003
    I, too, have high hopes for TLJ being THE force movie. Luke had 30 years to do research. Let's see what he learned...And needs to pass on.

candymove, dragonchic, Rabs and 3 others like this.
  25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Jeremy ConradVerified account@ManaByte 2h2 hours ago

More

April 13th: Unaltered OT Announcement April 14th: First footage from The Last Jedi April 15th: New animated series (Forces of Destiny)??

man if the animated show is called Forces of Destiny, that sounds like a Luke show.:p