main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and Eps. 8 & 9 - CAUTION: SPOILERS A'PLENTY!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Love Joss.

What exactly can we make of "unnatural" dialogue in movies or shows about super heroes and vampires. This is confusing realism with fabulism.

2. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012

:rolleyes:

3. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    im a big fan of Buffy and Firefly...but after watching his Marvel movies im not sure he's actually a great cinema director. He was an inspired TV series wonderboy for sure but im not convinced by his work for the big screen (i like the firefly movie but it felt like a longer episode, a nice one but not a proper movie)

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  4. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I just finished EE. Now I want a comic series about what Sloane and the other Imperials do once they reach the UR.

CrazyBladeUK and KembaSkywalker like this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    While talking about the “Chosen One” line spoken by Kenobi, Filoni discussed the way they wanted to show that it is Luke. He never mentioned that this is according to Obi-Wan, but it has to be. As we know Filoni’s mentor George Lucas was pretty specific in the past that the Chosen One is Anakin. But at this point of the Saga Anakin is lost forever for Obi-Wan and it’s normal that he believes Luke is the “Chosen One”.

FILONI

“We have to look at every episode of Rebels as if you’ve never seen Star Wars before. So if you think of it that way whenever Maul and Obi-Wan are talking about ‘The Chosen One’ or ‘Who are you protecting?’ if you never see or we don’t give the context of that, there are a lot of people who won’t know whats going on there. The Star Wars fan will but the average person will not. So at the very least the scene establishes, in its simplest form, there’s Obi-Wan, he was protecting someone, and there’s a woman yelling ‘Luke,’ and we see what we think of as a young boy running. ‘Oh, so Obi-Wan is protecting a boy named Luke.’ It’s designed to give you that specific bit of information that you need in the story.

Now, if you’re a fan and you go ‘OH MY GOD that’s Luke Skywalker, that’s even better. Now you’re getting the whole thing… But from a sensible story point you have to have that scene at the end to give some idea of what this old man is doing in the desert. You can’t rely on the Star Wars films as if they’ve been universally watched even though we know they’re pretty popular.”

B99 likes this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The SW films are "pretty popular". OK.

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  7. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  8. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015

Nice summary :)

Lumpy seems to be canon now :D
    [​IMG]

9. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016

Big Buffy fan here too, also agree about uncinematic movies. he's a TV director through and through. Visually completely uninteresting.

Ubraniff Zalkaz I want a movie or a TV show. Rae Sloane deserves to be brought on the screen. If blah characters like Ezra and Hera can get a show, surely a legit great character can?

10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    2 new comics!!!!
    STAR WARS: DROIDS UNPLUGGED (THE DROIDS AWAKEN) #1

[​IMG]
    Writter: CHRIS ELIOPOULOS
    Artist: CHRIS ELIOPOULOS
    Cover Artist: CHRIS ELIOPOULOS
    Variant Cover: MIKE ALLRED
    • Collecting three stories featuring everyone’s favorite droids!
    • What adventures did the probe droids in The Phantom Menace get into when Darth Maul wasn’t looking?
    • Luke’s got a mission for R2-D2! But can the astromech complete it in time?
    • And all BB-8 wants is to help…two Resistance soldiers fall in love!
    STAR WARS: POE DAMERON ANNUAL #1
    [​IMG]

Writer: ROBERT THOMPSON
    Artist: NICOLE VIRELLA
    Cover Artist: DAN MORA
    Variant Cover: MAHMUD ASRAR
    • Poe Dameron has never been one to follow the rules.
    • So when he disobeys a direct order from General Leia Organa and gets stranded in First Order space…
    • …with no ship and little oxygen…
    • …how will he survive?
    http://www.jedinews.co.uk/literature/articles/marvel-announce-two-new-star-wars-comics-june/

and the June soli
    http://www.jedinews.co.uk/literature/articles/marvel-comics-solicitations-june-2017/

nightangel likes this.
  11. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003

Anyone seen his Much ado about Nothing?
    It is not only visually interesting, but his blocking does a great job of feeling like a movie, rather than a filmed play, which even Branaugh's version can suffer from at times.

Wheedon's strong suit is characters and the marvel movies are not about characters, they are about smashing things and quip-ing. Given free reign with some new characters, I think he could make a great Star Wars movie. It might be different (see Dr. Horrible's sing-along blog) but it would be good.

12. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Yes! Sloane is my favorite character to come out of the new EU. I could see an older version of her as the military leader of the FO on their home world or flagship. I want to see her in episode 8.

13. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Sounds about right. They have a small but loyal fanbase, which is enough to make the studios throw out some content once in a while. Nothing too crazy. :)

EHT likes this.
  14. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Wow, that's a real comic flood coming in June.

starocean90 likes this.
  15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  16. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017

I could listen to Sam for hours! He is just that awesome :D

cwustudent likes this.
  17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  18. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    I'm not confusing anything with anything. The distinction is not a difficult one: dialogue that is obviously a premeditated creation of the writer vs. dialogue that doesn't, per se, significantly detract from the reader's/viewer's suspension of disbelief. Your argument--that due to the unrealistic subject matter (or genre) of a film/story/lyric opera, one can expect such dialogue to also be unrealistic, therefore the believably of its dialogue is a moot concern--is kind of a poor one. It's fallacious--a false equivalency. Or perhaps a Dra---man argument?

EDIT: Yeah, so the somewhat embittered tone was unintentional, fwiw.

19. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    One of the key aspects of fables, yarns, fairy tales, folktales, parables, allegories -- irrealist forms -- is an intentionally non-realistic narrative or character's voice that creates the fictional dream by charming the audience with its fantastic qualities, and that means a voice made up of wild claims and boasts, unlikely stories and legends, and play with language.

So Whedon actually understands the literary genres he's working with, and that's not a surprise since he's had such prolonged success with fans and critics.

And you apparently have a strong opinion based on something -- what?

If you haven't studied these things very deeply, maybe you should reconsider forming "authoritative" opinions.

Realist forms, on the other hand, depend on verisimilitude, and that means voices should function how you're desiring vamps and superpowered folks to talk -- like ordinary people.

I have no problem with a realistic style in some superhero stories, but for anyone to complain about fabulism doing what fabulism does is just foolish.

20. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    S3 ends with Thrawn after having defeated the Rebels and thinking the Rebellion is over goes back to the Unknown Regions which is why he's absent from the OT.:p

21. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    cool. maybe thrawn took ezra and kanan with him. :)

22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    maybe their heads as trophies but not the whole thing.:p

23. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    you think he'd do that to them?! (sorry, i haven't even seen thrawn in action... though supposedly he has an honorable streak? maybe he was looking for jedi for the zoo on his homeworld? ok.. i guess that's not so honorable lol.)

24. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Totally agree.

And, along this same line of reasoning, you know what really doesn't make sense?

The fact that we're even discussing whether or not Anakin is the Chosen One, because George Lucas already told us in the friggin' movie that Anakin was never the Chosen One.

In terms of storytelling, why have Yoda suggest this if it's merely much ado about nothing?

If this concern of his--that the prophecy has been misread--is unwarranted, what's the point of bringing it up? To show that the wisest Jedi isn't so wise after all and might be kind of a worrier? Prior to that moment, we'd had no reason whatsoever to believe that the Jedi were mistaken in proclaiming Anakin the Chosen One. Simply put, you do not have Yoda say this unless his hunch is right.

It functions as a second anagnorisis of the plot (the first being Anakin finding out that his mentor Palpatine has been the bad guy the whole time).

Similar to the situation Dra--- is talkinig about (Filoni having Obi-Wan say Luke is the real Chosen One), it makes virtually no sense to bring this up if it's not true and does little more than threaten to garble the information you're trying to convey to the audience.

I respect Pablo, and am not suggesting he's stupid or anything of the sort, but he's either doing his best to "keep the discussion fluid" or he's just not thinking clearly about this.

25. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm not so sure about. Yoda and Ben having lines that raise doubt over Anakin being the Chosen One do literally just that (raise doubt) but that's about it - unless TLJ shines further light on this aspect and we get further clarification. With George, I think he was trying to create dramatic tension (even though we knew the answer). With Filoni, I think the doubt is indicative of Ben's post ROTS thoughts on the issue.