main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and Eps. 8 & 9 - CAUTION: SPOILERS A'PLENTY!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 30, 2015.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    MotherNature's SilverSeed

The whole story line was Maul trying to find the key to destroying the Sith - which is why he asked about the Chosen One. At this point in the story obviously Obi-Wan thinks Luke is the Chosen One. In the end though he isn't - Anakin is. The point in raising doubt about the prophecy is to raise the tension within the storyline - which is meant to be watched with ROTJ as the revelation at the end.

Granek and Satipo like this.
  2. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    So, let me initially note here that you've entirely misunderstood what I was saying, and I'll elaborate on this in a minute.

But perhaps the more salient response to the above would be...

*slowly raises hand*

That's not what irrealist literature is, Professor.

This is awkward.

My opinion is admittedly strong, and it is based on...

(drum-roll please...)

...my honest, genuine reactions to films I've seen and stories I've read.

I've also taken classes years ago, but I'm guessing they've served me poorly in terms of forming opinions that are useful to you.

However, those opinions I have? I can confirm that, regrettably, I do indeed have those opinions.

And If I can't express my shameful opinions without being assailed by an aspiring creative writing teacher for having them, I guess they just aren't worthy of expression. Pardon me while I cut off my head and throw it in a ditch.

I'm going to tie a string around my finger. My sincere hope is that whenever I'm about to vocalize an opinion--unjustifiably formed while wallowing in my blue-collar cesspit existence, with reverent upward gaze transfixed on your ivory tower in complete awe--I will somehow notice this string tied around my finger, be lucky enough to identify it as such, and dutifully recall that I Am Not An Authority and, by God's grace, muster the spiritual strength necessary to keep my mouth shut and thus save any and all innocent minds from being irrevocably tainted by my inferior and obscene thoughts, that they may be graciously made whole, pure and pious by The Favored Ones such as yourself.

I've noted this and will share your Authoritative Opinion with those who mistakenly believe their plebeian thoughts are of any value. Rest assured I will unambiguously credit Your Magnificence.

I agree, with every worthless fiber of my detestable being. And so you're clear on the matter, this is not what I was doing. Let me make this plainer for you (below)...

I never said anything about this guy. I've never seen Firefly or anything else he's done as far as I know.

But it would be safe to assume that if he writes dialogue that seems discordant and unnatural for the character who is saying it, then I probably wouldn't like his work.

If Aragorn gives a speech and uses flowery and ornate phraseology with melodramatic inflections and a pseudo-Shakespearean cadence, I am so totally fine with that. If, that is, it seems reasonable that he--an heroic sword-fighting dude who fights dragons and wizards in Middle Earth--would say the things he is saying.

If the dialogue comes across as having been written by someone who is so very proud of their wit and wordsmithery and does not seem like something the given character in the particular setting would say (in other words, the dialogue does not seem natural), I probably wouldn't like his work. Such self-indulgence tends to jostle one from the subconscious suspension of disbelief. It is jarring.

You're going to have to find a way to deal with this--it clearly rankles your delicate academic sensibilities.

3. EzraSnoke

EzraSnoke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2017
    There's a plethora of fantastic stories to be told in many different eras of the SW universe / legends / EU. It's time to wrap this Skywalker baby up and move on to other trilogies!

4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Agreed. He's good for TV (or was good for TV - as there are now higher cinematic standards applied to TV as well). But he's an absolutely atrocious film director. Dialogue aside, I can't think of one frame of his films that is worth looking at.

5. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Joss Whedon is incredibly overrated.

Gigoran Monk and cwustudent like this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Exactly. If one is watching the films (and TV shows now) in chronological order the fact that Yoda questions whether or not Anakin is the Chosen One puts doubt in the audiences mind. It then sets up the drama of the OT where Anakin is redeemed and proves that he is indeed the Chosen One.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes. After the events of ROTS, we know why Yoda and Obi-Wan never agree with Luke in the OT that he can turn Vader back. They gave up on Anakin being the Chosen One at the end of ROTS, and they don't believe he can turn back to the good until Anakin actually does it with Luke's help. So for this Rebels episode, it makes sense that Obi-Wan would NOT say that Anakin was the Chosen One. What's interesting, though, is that he has apparently drawn the conclusion that Luke must be the Chosen One instead... that the status could pass to children, and in this case to Luke but not to Leia.

8. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    Leia is too 'worldly' and too much of a Politian to become a Jedi at this point, sadly had the OT been made during our time both Skywalkers would probably be Jedi.

9. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015

It seems Rey has taken Leia's spot. I recall that in George's older outline of the sequel trilogy he had Luke's sister (who wasn't Leia at the time) playing a large role. Perhaps Luke would pass his jedi teaching onto her and together they would take down the emperor. With Leia instead being revealed as Luke's sister they perhaps decided to make Rey the female protagonist that Luke teaches instead. As well Snoke could be the new emperor of this scenario since the original emperor was already killed. This would also tie into the theme of moral decisions and passing on what Luke has learned. So in a broad sense there seem to be some ideas shared between the current trilogy and Lucas's original ideas.

Darth Caliban and Miles Lodson like this.
  10. jujukane

jujukane Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 20, 2016
    I don't know, all this "Chosen one" concept never made sense to me. That's why I feel they will move away from it in the ST.
    I mean, how can one single person balance the force so that everyone is happy and all is good forever? The Force itself is neutral, so how can anyone balance it? Only the intent of the user is important, so you can never balance the force itself, only the forceuser. It all really depends on the individual, on every single force user and whether he is capable to balance it within himself every single day, again and again. Every single forceuser needs to be his own "chosen one". That's the whole trick.
    So the more mental healthy and stable a force user is, the more will he use the force in a good and fair way.

So the trick is to bring Kylo to anger management therapy:p

Joke aside, but I believe in the end of the ST balance will be achieved and I really believe we will be meant to recognize it in the behaviour of Kylo Ren. He will have figured out how he can control himself and balance his force by the end of the story.

ManWithoutAStar likes this.
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I just finished "Empire's End". That entire series was just a chore to get through. I know most fans like it and that is 100% okay but to me it was utterly disappointing especially the Battle of Jakku. Maybe it was my fault but I had that built up as being much more climatic then it was.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I haven't read that series, but I don't blame you for expecting that battle to be more climactic. The crashed ships in TFA and being told in other reference materials that that was the last stand of the Empire would make it seem like a pretty big deal.

13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm still on Life Debt. The story is okay but my god Wendig's writing is excruciating. I think I'm averaging about a page a month at the moment. :p

15. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    Something interesting in the new Darth Maul comic. Not a big spoiler, but still.

Maul remembers Sidious taking him to Malachor, where he has frightening visions of the Jedi slaughtering Sith in ancient history. Crossguard sabers galore. I thought it was interesting, and possibly relevant.

[​IMG]

16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  17. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Obi wan can't think in Leia as a Chosen One because it doesn't fit with ANH and ESB. Yet in ROTJ:

Yoda: Told you I did. Reckless is he. Now, matters are worse.
    Obi-Wan: That boy is our last hope.
    Yoda: No. There is another.

It's sad that GL just decided to make Leia a Skywalker in ROTJ, could be pretty cool Leia and Luke learning about their father and the Force since ANH.

oncafar likes this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Preview images.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oncafar likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I really think they need to shake things up in this episode so that the dynamics will be vastly leading in to what will probably be the final season. In my dream scenario the Alliance is completely routed, Kanan is killed by Darth Vader and Ezra is captured.

Of course none of that will actually happen. The Empire will be defeated again and somehow they'll all escape with barely a scratch.

20. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    IMHO, Disney has dug themselves in a hole with Rebels.

But being SW, we will learn that Syndully, Kanan et al actually survive somehow. If Maul survived being cut in half and was brought back even though it's clearly stated by Yoda and Mace that they inspected the body and there's no doubt it was Sith, etc.

21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I think Obi-Wan saw Leia has being too important in the macro sense to risk training as Jedi. Plus keep in mind Obi-Wan watch Luke from a infant on so he knew the boy possessed force skills from a very young age.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Wait.... Wait...

Shades of the Little Mermaid towers? :eek:[face_blush][face_batting][face_thinking][face_tee_hee]

23. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Darth Imbecillis TVD said that Kylo modeled his saber after those used at Malachor, so it's definitely a nod.

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

The thing is, the battle itself isn't given in great detail. Most of the focus is on dealing with Rax (as it should be, since Wendig's books are very much character-driven) and, in the battle itself, bringing down the Ravager. The battle outside of dealing with the Ravager isn't touched on much. So the battle definitely was more climactic than we were given in the book. The focus is just very narrow. Initially it disappointed me too but in retrospect it's okay, because doing otherwise would've drawn away from the character-centric focus, which would've been jarring when all three books had been character-focused so far.

25. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Okay, you guys are right. I overstated things. I wasn't looking at things in the macro sense.

EHT likes this.