main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Why not?

In TCW Yoda doesn't understand what's happening. He even thinks he might be losing it, apparently.

In ROTS, he understands what's happening and can explain it to Kenobi.

Seems pretty straightforward.

2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I didn't see him explain anything to Kenobi in the movie. He told him about Jinn and Kenobi seemed shocked but accepted it without explanation.

3. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    "How to commune with him I will teach you." -- Yoda to Kenobi.

It's possible that there was a more detailed conversation between Yoda and Obi-Wan which took place within the time we did not get to see around the closing events, hours, or days of 'RotS'.

InterestingLurker and Dra--- like this.
  4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Please no tie-ins that force me to watch TV shows just so I can understand the saga. A nod here and there is fine, but I honestly dislike TCW and I'm not really excited for Rebels.

JediWheelz and Bullhead CIty like this.
  5. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I believe the conversation was longer in the screenplay.

The idea is that people think Yoda is nuts in TCW, but by the time of ROTS, he's able to make Kenobi believe him. Not a retcon.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  6. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    A cool thing about the Yoda ark- in the trailer, Korriban was specifically labelled as the homeworld of the Sith, which means:

Korriban, ladies and gentlemen, is now canon. Officially.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  7. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    In the interest of full disclosure, I go off of the films (certainly within my previous comment) and have yet to see those episodes of TCW (so I can't speak to anything which happened in them), but thank you for the information all the same. As far as I understand it, GL wanted to put QGJ in RotS, but LN's untimely and unfortunate injury got in the way of that. Would have been a great tie in for the PT, IMO. How it all plays within TCW I may be intrigued to see.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

Korriban isn't unfortunately... it's now officially Moriband.

T-R- and Dra--- like this.
  9. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    What Chiznuk said. It's being called Moriband now... [face_sigh]

Anyways, here's a screenshot I took from the trailer showing that "Moriband" is indeed pretty much Korriban in all but name:
    [​IMG]

See the fuzzy statues in the distance? Here's the concept art of the Sith Temple from CEII:
    And concept art of the interior of the temple:
    [​IMG]

Definitely like a temple you'd find on Korriban, so this Moriband, if the trailer is accurate in referencing the planet correctly, rather than another one, is the Korriban you used to know.

But I'd definitely love to see it either way, in the ST!

10. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Oh wow, I just rewatched the trailer... It is Moriband. That's a really lame and pointless name change. At least it does seem they're getting the design right.

Makes you wonder; why did they change the name? Did the name come from GL, and they just applied the visuals and lore of Korriban to fit it? Does this have anything to do the ST?

11. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I still wonder if Moriband is a specific place on Korriban. I highly doubt it, but I see absolutely no reason for them to change it.

12. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    There must be a reason. The names are so similar. You'd think they'd have a better sense of the fans and their finger on the pulse of the hip or sweet. Perhaps Korriban was off limits due to its appearance in the ST, i.e., the planet behind Rick Carter's head, with the Falcon in it. One can hold out hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I seems their logic is that if they change the names of things, all the EU details go away and they can use the parts they like and write new stuff too.

I like this in concept, but not in practice.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If they had to rename it I would have much preferred Had Abbadon. An original GL name and it still has the connotations of death and destruction that Mariband does without being completely cheesy.

my kind of scum, Diggs and Immortiss like this.
  15. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I've stated elsewhere that they probably like the fact that "mori" refers to death while "kori" refers in Greek to "daughter."

I do like the sound of Korriban too, but they're probably making the decision for the above reason, not just wildly changing it for no reason.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  16. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011

Except it doesn't even count as a name change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13152

By the way, name itself is probably Lucas's idea. As for the actual planet, LucasFilm probably got that from the EU.

As I've said before, the EU is a toolbox to LucasFilm.

17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The conversation is a bit brief, and Obi-Wan certainly accepts Yoda's words without question... but I wouldn't expect TCW to contradict this.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Agreed, that would be an unnecessary and self-inflicted contradiction.

TCW trailer looks great. Can't wait to see the Yoda arc and learn a bit more about the force. Plus, more QGJ.

Still think we'll see some elements of Rebels show up in VII, but I don't think you'll have to have have seen Rebels for their introduction in VII to make sense.

My random guess based on zero evidence? Maybe Oldman (if he's in at all) is playing Ezra Bridger.

19. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Agreed - it would be wholly self defeating if one had to watch Rebels to understand who the characters are in Ep VII. However, I think JJ/KK may use Rebels to showcase a new Ep VII character (characters) similar to what they did with Grievous. I think that's a good way of ramping up interest in Rebels and ramping up anticipation of the ST.

20. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Cool, so that pretty much kills the Darth Bane trilogy, All of the currently ongoin comic book series. The entirety of KotoR, the Dark Forces series and god knows what. I'm glad TFU2 and Dark Empire is gone but not the rest. Oh and before I forgot. R. I. P. Thrawn.

Bullhead CIty and Dra--- like this.
  21. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Please stop making shows that take place before what has already come to pass.

Stop changing the premise and concept of what has long been established with endless back story that alters, damages, and outright metastasizes all the reasons people like Star Wars in the first place.

Stop using a serialized cartoon that plagiarizes the unique artistic vision of Mr. McQuarrie as a weak retcon "set up" for the ST.

I sincerely hope that the premise of the ST is not tangent upon the "Rebels" cartoon series. If so, we already have plot problems much larger than we realize.

There is a distinct difference between a "tie-in", and a REVISION.

Just sharing a few honest feelings about the current state of SW affairs.

22. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

Yeah, I think it would be kind of crazy not to - as you say, Grievous did it and before that, Boba's intro in the Holiday Special.

VII will not be a tangent of Rebels, but there's no reason characters couldn't show up in both. When they're intro'd in VII they would still need to work as characters in their own right for the big screen and those that have never watched Rebels. But for kids (and adults) that do watch Rebels, it would be fun to see those characters (probably supporting anyway) further down the line.

Dra---, Darth Chiznuk and Darth PJ like this.
  23. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm wondering if the Yoda-arc, meeting the supposed Whills, traveling to Moriband is all about laying some ground work for the ST. Changing the name removes all the established history and allows J.J Abrams to rewrite the Sith in the ST.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    You mean just like Anakin having a padawan or Anakin and Dooku fighting several times between AotC and RotS? TCW had many unnecessary and self-inflicted contradictions.

25. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I am still dubious about Moriband being Korriban, because during that voiceover there is a clear cut between You must go to Moriband---- the ancient homeworld of the Sith. The voice in the second part of the sentence sounds as via intercom. It could be simply a prank by Filoni, Hidalgo et al and they are currently rofl at all the nerdrage. Moriband could be the name of that Mushroom world... The same could be said about Yoda's speech, it is possible that he does not do that speech in front of the council, but in privacy to Mace or some other Master...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.