main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Damn. While I enjoyed the game it was the figures that I really liked. They were Pixar-ified if that makes sense, and they looked great. Was hoping for more character like Lando to be added.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  3. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
  4. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    weird unannounced game vid found online, taken from reddit.

5. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Fairly sure this was a cancelled mobile game from a few years back.

6. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Yup. My nephew is 30. He looks to be the same age as Kylo.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So I finally got around to watching the season 2 finale episode of Rebels the other day. To be frank, I did not like it at all. In the beginning I thought Rebels would end up being better than TCW, but after giving it two seasons I think I'm pretty much left finding the two shows to be pretty much tied; Rebels is not as hit-or-miss as TCW was (TCW had great episodes mixed with terrible ones, IMO), but in its consistency Rebels ends up being more consistently... just OK, I guess. Oh well. Honestly I haven't even gotten into the other new canon materials like comics, novels, or games, so I guess all of this leaves me back at really focusing on the films (a position I arrived at before after giving up on EU novels after reading about five of them).

As my position here should make clear, I'm obviously not saying any of this to try to stir anything up or criticize others' tastes... I just felt compelled for some reason to voice my own personal position after this recent reflection I had. [face_peace]

8. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    the finale did nothing for you? really?

9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
  10. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    you have no soul.

[​IMG]

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  12. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    I haven't made the time to watch Rebels. Any of it. Now I'm so far behind with so many upcoming films to get into, I don't want to start watching it. Thanks for helping me not feel like I'm missing out lol.

I'll probably just put rebels on 2 years from now when my kid wants to 'watch TV' and kill two birds with one stone.

EHT likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    nothing you just said makes any sense and you are missing out. eht wasn't impressed but i thought it was amazing. too much sw? gtfo.

14. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Completely agree with this part. Rebels occasionally has some great moments, but I don't think there's ever been a great episode.

15. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    That's a nice opinion, thank you for sharing. thejeditraitor

redxavier that's the overall impression i've been picking up from a couple of my friends who have been following it. They enjoy watching but aren't overly impressed by it.

I'm not hating on Rebels, how could I? Ihaven't even seen it. I'm just saying I'll probably get around to binge-watching it sometime down the road.

16. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The biggest problem with Rebels is that it has potential to be grand in scale, but unfortunately ends up being inconsequential due to the fact that the bigger stuff will be happening elsewhere; they can't even show the rebels winning a battle against the empire, as the opening crawl to ANH makes it clear that the rebellion has just win its first battle.

I also worry more than a grown man should that the fact that Star Wars went into what feels like Saturday morning cartoons for TV rather than something more ambitious may have already established a conservative, safe attitude to Star Wars TV, which is something with so much potential that it deserves to be done well.

Pro Scoundrel and EHT like this.
  17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  18. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    The hardcover novel of force awakens even worth buying? What's the point anyway if you've seen the movie ?

19. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Well it depends on how interested you are in this sort of thing. It's a perfectly serviceable novelisation, with the odd bit of extra context and insight every so often (as well as the occasional remnant of earlier drafts of the script), but unless it appeals to you, there are always better books available than novelisations

JediLight and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The ROTS novel has a lot of great stuff in it, not seen in the movie. TFA has some interesting extra scenes and even some of the deleted scenes. The movie is better but the novel works for having the deleted scenes and little moments.

21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Agreed. I haven't read ROTS since before the film came out, but it's probably the actual best example of the novelisation in existence. It really gets you inside Anakin's head, with the repeated use of the "dragon" metaphor, and the scene of Anakin awakening in the suit, trapped inside a terrifying world where his only connection to the outside world is through electronic senses is very bleak and affecting

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Try the novel Bloodlines. It sets up Leia's position come TFA and explains exactly why she is on the outs with the New Republic by the time of TFA. It's a good read.

Pro Scoundrel and JediLight like this.
  23. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks Shane. Yeah, I've heard that Bloodline is good but I haven't read it yet. I might sometime, though.

JediLight likes this.
  24. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

The audiobook flavor was pretty good. The narrator really nails Leia's sound to me (younger Carrie).

If you like ASOIAF, you may be aware that the POV Cersei makes her look over-matched as a leader and for the most part, idiotic. But Leia, is the alter-Cersei. Leia is calculated and brilliant, always one step ahead. It really makes me appreciate her character even more.

25. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    The adult novelization, imo, wasn't that great. It's fine if you want a quick reference to how a certain scene went, but other than that... Meh.

The junior novelization was actually a lot better.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  26. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.