main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Speaking of junior novelizations, the only new canon novel (or collection of three short stories, really) that I've read is Before the Awakening, which my son and I read together right after TFA came out. It was short and a pretty quick read, but it was actually quite good. Good background on Finn, Rey, and Poe leading right up to before the events of TFA.

Luke'sSeveredHand and Iron_lord like this.
  2. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    Yeah, I have that one too. Really nice characterization for Finn, and Poe and Rey's stories are pretty good too.
    I nearly laughed out loud after reading that scene where Poe was taking over that senator's ship and yelled that the vessel was property of the Irving Boys. [face_laugh]

EHT likes this.
  3. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Yeah, I enjoyed the movie novel, but Foster just felt like he didn't know his SW, and by that I mean he didn't bother going into much detail about weapon names and star fighters and all that. And it felt like it contradicted some things. I'll read it again some time. But I haven't read the junior novel, although it does sound better. And Before the Awakening was fantastic. Really great book.

4. Thane_Kyrell

Thane_Kyrell Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2016
    Lost Stars rocked. I hope they make it into a movie or at least another book with a continuation.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  6. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  7. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  8. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    I the Lego TFA game supposed to be canon? I know the shorts aren't, but I'm not sure about the game itself.

9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    They can be discussed in this thread, but they're not technically canon.

11. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I'd love to see the fallout if the Lego game is the only ever canon source in which we see the moment Luke goes into exile, and the only mention of Rey's parentage.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  12. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The new Star Wars comic is worth getting. A rather excellent standalone centred around Obi Wan on Tattooine. Beautiful artwork in it.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  13. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I loved the new star wars comic. Especially the bits with Owen/Obi-wan/Luke.

14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    When the Star Wars comic line takes a breather for an obi wan journal, it's a proper little treat.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Finally got around to finishing Bloodline last night, and it was really great. It adds a lot of context to TFA, is a great portrayal of Leia, and did some great world building for the ST era. Two thumbs way up.

16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  18. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I'm a bit late to the party, but I read Bloodlines over the weekend. This is really my first foray into Star Wars literature (?) since Shadows of the Empire back in 1996, so I don't really know the standard by which it is judged, but I really enjoyed it. I was a bit hesitant as to whether Leia in a political drama would play out like some of the lesser received elements of the prequels, but the story was perfectly paced and entertaining. Without getting too sidetracked, it just made the prequels' political follies all the more painful...political drama can be interesting!

I found the portions where Han was almost shoehorned in to be a bit awkward and enjoyed that he really wasn't necessary to advance the plot (save for one moment). The political gamesmanship and "whodunnit" suspense were the novel's strong points, in addition to developing Leia's character better than any of the movies did (IMHO).

Ransolm Casterfo, who would have in any other format likely served as a one dimensional foe, was a smug-but-humble, conniving-but-honorable, fantastic inclusion.

In the end, the story did what it set out to do in a downright compelling manner (and may have given us a clue as to who Laura Dern is playing in VIII).

Rating: 4/5 Japor Snippets

19. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  20. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I need to read Bloodline. I've read Lost Stars, which is also by Claudia Gray and that was my favorite Star Wars book so far.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  21. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Her prose isn't going to be confused with Faulkner or Hemingway, but I really enjoyed her storytelling, and that's really what it should be about. It was nice to read a new Star Wars story that actually advanced a plot, shed light on the state of the galaxy leading up to TFA, and connected some of the dots a minority whined about.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I feel dumb, now. I hadn't even considered that.

(Btw, I can't say I approve of your new signature, over your old (better) one.) ;)

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  23. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Better. Much better.

I love the prevalence of trees in the new canon (and in Episode VIII, it seems). I hope the New Republic moves to Chandrila, and it's essentially the Minas Tirith of the GFFA. A great, white city with a special tree. Beacon of hope in a galaxy engulfed by despair.

24. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Just read the first issue of the Force Awakens adaptation. I wouldn't bother. I like Chuck Wendig, but his writing duties here seem pretty much limited to verbatim lifting of dialogue and a couple of contextual info panels, the artwork is functional but no more (with some frames seemingly traced straight off the frame of the film) and there's no expanded material whatsoever

25. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

So, basically a comic version of the novelization, right? The Force Awakens novel was very underwhelming as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.