main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    But it could have been, and that's the point you keep ignoring. It's not like stories exist independently of the author and must be told a certain way. That's what you seem to think.

I'm not even arguing it should have been, just that I would have liked it better if it had been.

Pro Scoundrel and starocean90 like this.
  2. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah it could have been a lot of things, that is true.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I always saw it as breaking the "rules" in the PT to free slaves (kinda like the prime directive in Star Trek of not interfering in others affair/cultures), whereas in the OT given that it's Empire vs Rebels these "rules" disappear (more about doing the right thing). [face_dunno]

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Except that Kirk and co broke the PD a lot, with usually little to no consequences. And the problem is that we're never told that there's such a rule in the actual films. So the Jedi just look like a-holes as a result.

kubricklynch and Dra--- like this.
  5. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah that is a good way to look at it. The republic had its jurisdiction and the republic and Jedi didn't go beyond that jurisdiction. Empire and rebellion, that is a whole other story. The rebellion didn't have to follow the imperial mandates. That is what makes them rebels!

starocean90 likes this.
  6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I know they did, it was just an example of how I saw it, I don't see the Jedi or Republic declaring war on slave owners (like the Hutts) that have a lot of influence/power on the galaxy which might bite them in the ass later.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    The republic government is supposed to take the primary action against issues such as slavery and all that. The Jedi just follow mandates set by the republic itself.

starocean90 likes this.
  8. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    we have even seen a few times in TCW where the Jedi/Republic tried to keep the Hutt Clan happy, which tells you they won't take any actions that will anger the Hutts.

rumsmuggler and Andy Wylde like this.
  9. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Even Dooku never tried to cross paths with the Hutt's.

starocean90 likes this.
  10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    If you look at it from a moral (right and wrong) point of view yes it's bad/terrible but from a Political and economical point of view (alliances and neutrality) it makes perfect sense (maybe even smart???).;)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Dooku didn't have enough screentime to cross his shoelaces...

12. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    talking about TCW not the movies.

hartman89 and Andy Wylde like this.
  13. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    starocean90 thanks for that. You knew exactly where I was coming from. And it shows how the rebellion didn't even get involved rescuing Han from the Hutt's. The Hutt clan was very powerful and controlled a good amount of space and space lanes. It would be suicide for Qui Gon to have attempted to try and free slaves right under the Hutt's noses and on their turf. If Qui Gon was deciding to go that route.

14. hartman89

Dec 29, 2014
    starocean90 My fault, I completely overlooked what thread I opened. My legitimate apologies, for real. Throw you a like for the inconvenience lol...

starocean90 likes this.
  15. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    So again you chaps are presupposing the story had to be told a certain way. I think it would have been more fun to see him lead a slave revolt. Or at least to rescue as many slaves as he could.

I don't know about you, but I watch Star Wars for acts of bravery and selflessness -- not for excuses about why the Jedi couldn't be heroes.

What makes for a better movie?

16. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    which is why Luke was different than the PT jedis, he was compassionate and always did the right thing no matter the consequences, which makes me curious:
    "imagine if Luke was alive during the height of the Republic , would he have been the same???"

Revanfan1, Dra---, Andy Wylde and 2 others like this.
  17. hartman89

Dec 29, 2014
    Interesting. Wonder how the High Council would have felt about someone like Luke? Would he care?

p.s. starocean90 Now I owe you another like. I shall not be indebted to the likes of you! I will "like" you once more. If it is reciprocated I expect to see you at dawn with dueling gloves. I bid you good day...

18. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    It makes even less sense to have Vader become a part of a tyrannical empire knowing he was a slave to begin with.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe being a slave taught him to serve a master, hence The Emperor being his master later on. Also,Vader despised the Peculiar Hat Crew, who were aristocrats.

Immortiss and Andy Wylde like this.
  20. Gamma626

May 6, 2014

That'd make sense if his characterization didn't constantly paint him as a rebel, doing the exact opposite of what people tell him to do the entire PT.

21. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Yep -- and it is a real phenomenon in our world. Slaves -- the oppressed -- usually want to become masters. As Nietzsche says, "Slave morality does not seek to transcend the masters, but to make them slaves as well." For example, the working class wants to become rich, but to become rich means exploiting the labor of the working class.

It's a kind of false consciousness (ideology) where the oppressed are taught to value the same things the oppressors value. Like exercising power over others.

22. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Oh, I won't deny that at all. The real argument and reasoning is that, with the loss of Padme and his children, Anakin saw no reason but to do what he was told. As we can see with the end of Empire and Jedi, the second Vader had something to live for again he turned against the emperor.

I'd just have preferred some better writing on this regard for the PT.

23. hartman89

Dec 29, 2014
    Or maybe after being enslaved he became bitter and wanted to be on the other side of the human slave spectrum...

24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I broadly agree... TPM works almost like a preface to the prequel. I personally think the PT would have been better starting with something similar to AOTC, where Anakin is already established as a Jedi etc. etc. But I respect that Lucas felt he needed to show Anakin as an 'innocent'. On reflection, I'm not sure showing Anakin as an 'innocent' adds anything.
    I don't really agree with that Dra. I think Lucas is showing that the Jedi, and Qui-Gon, exist and function within a galaxy where corruption is rife and injustice is common (and where the Jedi’s protection has a limited reach). I think that is the broad backdrop of the PT (specifically TPM)... and obviously Qui-Gon is tasked in protecting Queen Amidala... as well as being moved to free Anakin. I think if Lucas had portrayed the situation on Tatooine much darker e.g. the slaves living in squalid conditions, being beaten etc. I would agree that something would seem off if Qui-Gon and Anakin had left Shmi to a grim fate... but Lucas portrays this slave existence in quite a hyper-realistic/fantasy way i.e. it’s tame... and for what it's worth, I agree... TPM has an overall light tone. But I think the actions of the characters are reflective of, and consistent with, the tone. Whether the tone should have been darker is another question/topic (probably not suited to this conversation). :)

25. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Its all flawed to me, but even tpm is superior to aotc. If it wasn't for jar jar it would almost be a decent film .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.