main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Not to mention the "take me to the pilot that blew the Death Star". Are you serious? He felt Luke in the space and he cannot felt the same presence when he is in front of him?

nightangel, EHT and Force Smuggler like this.
  2. Jar Jar All The Way

Jar Jar All The Way Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2014
    I have the same problem with it.

Also, I'm surprised no one has said how much they loved this line in Vision of Hope yet, I absolutely loved it.
    "that's not the ship we're looking for!"

Force Smuggler and jabberwalkie like this.
  3. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I don't mind it and will see how it plays out before I judge it.

4. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Jar Jar All The Way, yep!! It was a fantastic episode. Rebels has featured several high quality episodes this first season. There have been a couple a bit softer, but the last four have been pretty amazing.

Granek and Dra--- like this.
  5. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    There is a small part of me that wonders if Luke is having a dagobah cave-like vision. Vader doesn't seem to acknowledge that the lightsaber was his or wonder how Luke got it. Also, how will Luke get it back?

6. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    the way Vader is holding those light-sabers at the end of the preview reminds me of the count Dooku beheading

cwustudent likes this.
  7. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Eh.... I felt that while "Idiot's Array" was great fun in its own right, I don't think it matched the quality of the episodes before and after it. IMO, "Path of the Jedi" and "Vision of Hope" have been two of the strongest episodes of the series, with "Gathering Forces" not being far behind. Don't get me wrong, I think the episodes since the mid-season break has been better than the first half of the season.

Dra--- and Darth_Bertie like this.
  8. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    a lot of shows, when they have a run of serious, high concept, well written episodes, like to sprinkle in a bit of fun to offset the seriousness.

I'm reminded of the Baseball episode of Star Trek: Deep Space 9. Even during a war, they stop to have some fun. Love that episode.

9. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Agree. Idiot´s Array was probably the weakest.

cwustudent and jabberwalkie like this.
  10. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I assume/hope that Luke runing into Vader is just something to kick things off with a bang and won't be a recurring plot development with the series,

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  11. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Not saying they can't have fun one-offs, just that this particular episode wasn't quite up to par. The line delivery felt somewhat forced, and also Williams' lines for Lando seemed a little uncharacteristic of how he delivered lines in ESB. The whole bit where Lando felt the need to explain some things made me roll my eyes pretty hard.

"Take Me Out to the Holosuite" has to be one of favorite episodes in DS9's run when we were not dealing with the overall plot. It was a nice distraction from the more heavy tones that came after it like "The Siege of ARR-558" and before it like "Tears of the Prophets."

12. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Just watched 'Vision of Hope' and the series really gets better and better with real Star Wars feeling. Great episode indeed. ;)

Dra---, TheBBP and thejeditraitor like this.
  13. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I know my many friends here will default to the old (OLD) don't change the OT argument, simply because they value the movies almost exclusively to other modes of storytelling. Still I'm happy to see that Marvel and Disney are willing revise the old story and add more depth and complexity to what we thought we knew.

Does it make ESB more special or less special if Vader and Luke have prior confrontations? Confrontations between the Joker and Batman grow more special over time depending on what accrues between them -- not because nothing has happened.

So there's no reason to privilege a less is more attitude, unless you want to. There's nothing inherently better in it.

What will always make the ESB confrontation special is Vader's revelation to Luke.

14. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    so not only are they stepping all over the OT with these comics are they going to rewrite them as well?

"
    "

IMO is just sets a bad president moving forward.. how many other characters will 'meet first' in the comic and not in the movie where to the viewer at least it seemed that Luke has never even met Vader.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They've already stepped on the OT with the SE, 04 and 11 changes and then the PT.
    Anyone really surprised about this?
    And I totally expect the ST to step on the OT as well.
    Is it really too much to ask for the movies to be respected and for the books/comics/games/movies etc to fit what has come before?

16. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    So what type of books do you guys see announced next. I'm hoping that because Star Wars and Vadar focus on the main cast we get star wars empire and rebellion mini series or ongoings.

I bet the first big event gets announced as being a retelling of either thrawn or shadows of the empire.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Agreed, Luke will probably end up barely escaping Vader and then spends the rest of the pre-ESB run listening to Obi-Wan to hightail whenever Vader shows up.

I love the "I have killed very many fathers, you'll have to be more specific" line because Vader can be darn snarky once in awhile.

18. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I don't think he sounds off, I think Vader reads very much like he does in ANH in this short extract. Rewatching the movies with fresh eyes Vader isn't as cool with his lines as he is in Empire or Jedi. Gotta remember he hasn't had his major revelation about him having a son yet, that's gonna affect him.

Also interesting that Luke is surprised at the force pull trick Vader does with the Sabre...Lukes only point of reference for a Jedi is Obi Wan and all he did was show him the mind trick and how to trust his feeling. I've never really thought about it before but he's obviously using Vader as an example to fill in the blanks of his teachings about what is capable with the force.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    The reason a lot of you are surprised about the comic revising the film is because you're unwilling to accept that this is one world now. One continuity. And that the Story Group obviously thinks less hierarchically than many of the fans.

Having said that, I still think the other media will have to "fit" the movies. There will be no Luke I am your father revelation in the comic or books prior to ESB. The specific events in the films will still need to be respected.

However, ESB never states that this is the first time Luke's faced Vader since ANH. That is fan speculation only. Hence, the other media can take advantage of gaps like that and add new story.

20. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    [face_laugh]
    you are taking to obsessive fans, who would take anything that contradicts what they have always believed to be fact to be a retcon. The one meeting that makes sense that it never happened was Grievous meeting Anakin before Episode III.:p

Dra--- and CGI-BOBAFENT like this.
  21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    up close and personal at least.

starocean90 likes this.
  22. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    The concept art for Battlefront sure is pretty.
    [​IMG]

We should start to get actual details once hard line is out in march. Don't be surprised if battlefront gets a gameinformer cover so on.

23. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Mods!!!!
    are we allowed to discuss the canon games in this thread?????

24. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    what are you saying about Grievous? That Anakin should have only met him in ROTS?

starocean90 likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And Anakin Skywalker. With someone of your reputation I was expecting someone a bit older.
    Or something like that. How is that not their first meeting?

Dra--- and starocean90 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.