main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It's a figure of speech. Not meant to be taken to seriously, which you are doing.

LunarMoth likes this.
  2. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    I just don't understand why people don't think they meet before[face_dunno] ? what evidence in the duel would lead to that conclusion?
    Another line to me that made me think they meet before, "you have learned to control your fear".
    to me it makes perfect sense that they dueled before and Luke didn't control his fear.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda's warnings don't actually say much about what Luke has done in the past.

Ben does warn Luke "If you choose to face Vader, you will do it alone - I cannot interfere" . That could be a hint that Luke has not faced Vader before - or it could a hint that Luke had Obi-Wan's help last time but doesn't now.

"He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him" could be interpreted as referring to Vader sensing Obi-Wan helping Luke in ANH, in the trench. But it could also refer to something else.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    Just a personal preference, but I think Luke and Vader not ever meeting before makes their duel in ep 5 more impactful. Like a culmination of a conflict that is 4 years in the making, finally happening.

Also, consider Vader and Emperor's holo-conversation...it sounded as though they were discussing Luke for the very first time. Whereas if Vader had fought him before, it seems that conversation should have already happened.

Granek, Force Smuggler and T-R- like this.
  5. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    Vader was trying to hide Luke from the emperor in my opinion. Look how surprised Vader acted when Palps was telling him about Luke during their conversation, yet Vader told his officers that he was sure Skywalker was with them at the
    start of empire.Also the opening crawl says Vader is obsessed with finding Luke.

6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Being "obsessed" with finding someone does not equate to them actually meeting prior. Remember, Luke blew up the Death Star and was probably the most wanted individual in the Galaxy.

I think you are misinterpreting dialogue to suit your own personal narrative.

7. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    I think I have offered more evidence that would suggest that they meet before than you have to suggest that they didn't.

cwustudent and Dra--- like this.
  8. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The fact that the Emperor says we have a new enemy, Luke Skywalker and all of the dialogue of Luke facing Vader and in the duel are pretty clear evidence that they never met before Bespin.

Granek and Darth_Bertie like this.
  9. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    It's funny how people intrepid dialogue differently. As I stated to me it was obvious that they had met before. Not 1 line from their duel says other wise,while several
    can be interpreted to justify a previous meeting., anyway since the comic is canon they have meet before now, end of disscussion in official canon anyway.
    who ever wants to ignore it can do so, to each his own.

10. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I would like to point out that we are assuming that Vader and Luke actually fight. I man at the end Ben does tell Luke to run maybe Luke actually listens. But yes I hope they do not fight because I always felt that fight in Empire was the first time they fought or even really confronted each other.

11. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Did you come to that conclusion before there were any comics or books talking about them meeting before? If so, I find that hard to believe...

T-R- and Granek like this.
  12. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    I first thought that in 1980 when I saw empire for the 1st time. The reason was 2 lines Vader said to Luke early in the duel.
    1) you have learned much young one( to me that meant since last we met)
    2) you have learned to control your fear( how did Vader know Luke couldn't control his fear in a fight before unless they had faced each other?)
    Everyone can intrepid those lines their own way but that's how I saw them.

13. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
  14. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Lol... I wonder what he definition of twice as many is.... because if we go by production numbers that would be 32. But if we go by actual number of episodes, that would be 26. So maybe 22 episodes next season? I did look last night to see if I could find any information regarding how many episodes there were going to be, but I couldn't find anything.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    About Luke and Vader meeting. I’m not against them meeting prior to TESB; I just think this is too soon. In fact, they have to meet, really, as the opening crawl of Empire says that Vader is “obsessed” with finding Skywalker. Why? When did that obsession start? So they had to have met before TESB. Just not so soon, IMO.

16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Yes, 13 episodes is not enough.:)

Revanfan1, TheBBP and thejeditraitor like this.
  17. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    This season felt cramped and having a few filler episodes didn't help. If your going to commit to 13 episodes than they have to be an hour long for it too work.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU, "The guy who blew up the Death Star, whom the Force is strong with" was a preoccupation of Vader's even before he knew his name. Once he knew Luke's name and where he came from, though he hadn't met him yet, he became obsessed with finding him- in oder to identify the precise nature of their connection:

The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader

Luke Skywalker.
    According to municipal records obtained from the settlement of Anchorhead on Tatooine, that was the name on the registration for a T-16 sky hopper owned by a human male pilot who had lived at the Lars homestead and was approximately nineteen standard years old.
    Luke Skywalker.
    According to a Kubaz freelance spy in Mos Eisley, that was the name on a Spaceport Speeders sales record for the landspeeder that had been purchased from a young man who later left on the Millennium Falcon, the Corellian freighter that had also carried Obi-Wan Kenobi to the Death Star.
    Luke Skywalker.
    According to a captured Rebel whom Darth Vader interrogated on Centares, that was the name of the X-wing pilot who had destroyed the Death Star.
    Luke Skywalker.
    Even while inspecting his nearly completed flagship, the Super Star Destroyer Executor, Vader could not get Luke Skywalker out of his mind. He silently chewed on the name, and considered the fact that the boy had been born three years after the death of Shmi Skywalker. to the best of his knowledge, Anakin Skywalker had been his mother's only living blood relative.
    Could there have been other Skywalkers from Tatooine? Vader allowed the possibility. After all, it wasn't an entirely uncommon name in the galaxy.
    But Anakin and Padme Amidala had been expecting a baby nineteen years ago.
    Nineteen standard years.
    It's not possible,Vader thought.I killed Padme. The baby died with her.
    Not for the first time, he wondered if the Emperor had told him the whole truth about Padme's death. But I remember choking her ... seeing her collapse on Mustafar. I was so angry with her. And yet ...
    Luke Skywalker exists.
    Vader refused to believe the notorious Rebel's surname was merely a bizarre coincidence. If he had possessed any other name, Vader would not have hesitated to report what he had learned to the Emperor. But for purely selfish reasons, Vader kept the young Rebel's name to himself. To him, Luke Skywalker was more than a mystery to be solved.
    He is ... an opportunity. As strong with the Force as he may be, he is an opportunity ... an opportunity for even greater power.
    But who is he? Who were his parents? Could he have been Obi-Wan's son? But then why was he named Skywalker and raised by the Lars family? Or was he merely trained by Obi-Wan?
    Because Obi-Wan Kenobi, Shmi Skywalker, Owen and Beru Lars, and Padme Amidala were dead, there was only one way Vader could discover the truth. He would have to ask Luke Skywalker himself. All he had to do was find him.

19. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Either that or at the very least cut out the fat and focus more on the story. I understand wanting to add some humor to the story, but I would have thought that writers could add this within the episode itself.

20. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    I'm calling total BS on this part, unless you can find a post prior to the comic being released were you had this 'idea'. [face_liarliar] You've gotta be the only Star Wars fan in history that came up with that idea. I've been on countless forums, groups, email groups, early SW MUD games since the inception of the latter and I've never heard that before-outside of Splinters in a Minds Eye that is-.

Clearly the Emperor states 'we have a new Enemy'. There is far more dialogue that points to Vader vs Luke in ESB and RoTJ that its a 'first time' for both.

To me Vader is simply commenting on his clear lack of Saber skill but his ability to control his emotions is more precise. What I don't like the new 'story book' team is doing that started very heavy handedly in 'New Dawn'-like really no one else thought about the 'stay away' message but a Jedi Youngling (kanan does?) I rolled eyes when I read that; is they are trying to tie every new publication back to the OT. It takes away from the movies and lessens the severity of the movie plots.

21. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    OK [face_plain] i'm glad you know what I thought in 1980.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  22. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    This needs the Shakespeare's Star Wars treatment. Some of the asides in those books are both brilliant and hysterical.

23. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I didn't see it as that heavy-handed... it was just a kid thinking outside the box a little. For at least 1,000 years the Jedi had that system in place to call Jedi home. There were no more Sith Lords, so far as they knew, and thus no great threats to them--or to the Republic. They were complacent, set in their ways, and for generations likely hadn't even considered that the beacon would ever need to be used for any purpose, let alone one other than they designed it for. It could be previous Masters who had taught its use to younglings had fielded such suggestions from other kids in the past but simply shut them down with a stuffy "Preposterous! There is no conceivable reason for us to ever use it in such a way. For your insolence, go spend the next 2 weeks in meditation. Alone." :p

24. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    That Emperor line only proves that Vader was hiding knowledge of Luke from him. :)

Toonimator, starocean90 and STARBOB like this.
  25. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i also do not like Luke and Vader battling before esb. but you know the dark side cave was before their duel, why would Luke see Vader there?" Just because he killed Obi Wan? There is some room for something there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.