main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It's funny people talk about the "story" in Rebels as there doesn't seem to be one (unless you count Ezra's by the numbers plot line). Every week they just infiltrate another Imperial complex, out smart and out fight them by the 1000 and then leave. There's no sense of danger or suspense. There's nothing new, it writes itself. I mean did anyone really think Kanan wasn't going to escape!
    It's damning for the show, when the talk/interest is about Ahsoka and not about the main characters. Also as a kids cartoon they clearly are not going to kill off "any" of the good guys so that makes the Imperials even more pathetic.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    At least we are going to see other cells, that is still something fortunately.

fett 4 likes this.
  3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It appears to me that there has been more 'buzz' generated when existing characters such as Yoda, Lando, Tarkin and now Ahsoka, have featured... and I think Rebels has been better for working with that connective tissue... However, I do now think there's an opportunity for the show to expand its horizons in the 2nd season... something I’m sure Filoni et al are keen to do (budget permitting).

I agree with a previous poster; in that a show that was set in a period not directly connected to the movies would have been less problematic... as it gives the writers opportunity to build something from the ground up... but we are where we are... and I think it's a given that season 2 will feature more Ahsoka and OT characters. I’m betting we’ll see Ahsoka and Obi-Wan team up again in season 2 (assuming it’s not something in plan for a live action film).

starocean90 and fett 4 like this.
  4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I both agree and disagree with you. I disagree with you regards leading into the films. Setting up the Rebellion and and winning the first victory is a good story to tell.
    And as TCW cartoon it is possible to do it as a cartoon, though Gendys was a much better lead in.
    If it's new it's always interesting. Making Ashoka, Anakins apprentice was a great move and much better than the original idea of her being PLO Kloons.

But this show is not really doing anything new, or adding any depth, it's doing the same thing over and over every week, which can get boring fast. The characters themselves are not that interesting (arguably Kanan is the best of the bunch) or strong enough to stand on there own. Which is why I'm thinking, why Filoni has so many (not just Ahsoka) popping up all the time.

I agree with you regards the connective issue though.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think it’s entirely possible to create a good show that is tied loosely to the events and situations of the exiting movies... I just believe that when choosing a timeframe/characters/situations, directly related to the films... in this instance between ROTS and ANH... then the writers/show-makers are naturally more restricted by having to adhere to existing continuity. Not only that, but then there is an increased pressure/expectation to feature aforementioned characters/situations from the pertinent films/existing canon e.g. Tarkin, Yoda, Vader et al.
    I believe the show is getting slowly better (helped by the Tarkin arc), but I agree that I’m not grabbed by the characters yet. And in comparison, I find the Ahsoka/Anakin dynamic much more interesting than the Ezra/Kanan one. But I’m willing to give it the chance. Also, I think that if the show manages to make some direct connections to the ST, then some of those character dynamics may become more compelling. One thing is for sure, I think Rebels has to increase its scope/scale... and the final episode of season 1 alludes to that. We’ll see...

starocean90, TheBBP and fett 4 like this.
  6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The only thing that bothers me is the completely ridiculous incompetence of stormtrooopers. Those scenes where heroes just toy with them just lose any sort of weight and are only a bit above pure comic relief. I know they can't very well just shoot them all down, but at least make them feel like a threat. We're told on numerous occasions that it's bad when stormtroopers come after you, but we very rarely see why that's the case.

I can only hope that, like they did with "funny" droids in TCW, they will make some changes to stormtroopers to make them seem more dangerous in the following seasons.

7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I agree - I think making the troopers a little less comic cannon fodder, and broadening the scope and scale beyond Lothal would help lift things even further.

TheBBP likes this.
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  9. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    I really liked Princess Leia #1 from a story standpoint. However the art while liking the actual style was really rushed and Marvel was better off getting another artist instead of the dodsons.

10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  11. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    Well this week is GDC and Pax east so it would be senseable Hardline still hasn't come out but at this point th people buying it are already set in for it.

12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The Stormtroopers were always incompetent. The fact that everyone keeps complaining about that NOW is amusing to me.

Jobertus and Dra--- like this.
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That's no excuse for them to keep being incompetent.

Darth PJ and starocean90 like this.
  14. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    If they were still clones they wouldn't be. The Jedi can attest to that... if they were still alive.

[​IMG]

15. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    yeah I hated that entire Sabine opening sequence, how terrible are they, she jumps all over the place above their heads, no character in the OT ever did that.o_O[face_dunno]

16. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    thejeditraitor likes this.
  17. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    that's the rumor from Making that there are some portion of the game that are set between VI and VII.:)

18. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    You're right. You do remember everything. From now on, instead of googling things, I'm just going to ask you. :)

starocean90 likes this.
  19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  20. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Dave Filoni

Everyone,

The crew of Star Wars Rebels and I are blown away by your response to the finale. Thank you for all the kind words and support for the series, we all appreciate it.

Nothing could have prepared us for the outpouring of emotion and cheers when Ahsoka Tano appeared. As someone who has watched over her character from the beginning, I was overwhelmed by the reaction. Little Soka has come a long way, and I think many fans have grown up right alongside her. I look forward to your continuing journey with her, as she attempts to guide our Rebel heroes in these dark and dangerous times. Remember, the Force will be with you, always.
    https://www.facebook.com/DaveFiloni....139240.87355540052/10153064940275053/?type=1

21. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Yeah, that was a nice "Thank you".

starocean90 likes this.
  22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    They should kill all our heroes then because that's the only way they could truly be competent.

sizziano likes this.
  23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    in the movies, yes. The clone troopers in the eu and TCW were considered pretty great in combat.

24. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    To me Stormtroopers actually started out looking very competent in the OT, when they obliterated the rebel fleet troopers at the beginning of ANH.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I just noticed the outfit Leia is wearing on the cover looks very similar to her rumored outfit in TFA. That's pretty cool.

starocean90 and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.