main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it's too optimistic to assume this is a stunt and the episode will show its Korriban after all.

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
  3. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

Well, I guess strictly speaking, is either a direct contradiction? I know it doesn't match what we thought, but does either explicitly contradict what remains onscreen in ROTS?

I agree though, I'm not a big fan of going against what we see in the movies.

4. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    by taking a padawan wouldn't he be referred to as a Jedi Master? Something that was a sore point in EIII

He tells Dooku that his powers have double since the last time they met. Taking just the movies, it's been 3 years. Taking TCW its been 3 weeks.

that's all I ask. All I want out of Rebels is a fun story that doesn't go against what we've seen in the movies.

Pro Scoundrel and Diggs like this.
  5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, I thought only masters had Padawans, but it's not explicitly stated in the movies is it? Also, while the Dooku thing changes the feel of the line, it doesn't contradict anything. But still, sounds like we both want the same thing.

6. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I think that Anakin getting a padawan could be explained due to the dire need of knights to lead the clone armies. I always thought that there is the title Jedi Master on the one hand and padawans calling their teachers Master on the other hand.
    I personally had no problem with things in TCW that contradict the PT, because I have come to like TCW more than the PT, because the characters in the former feel more like real persons to me than the stiff-acting actors in the latter;)

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, Obi-Wan becomes Anakin's Master days at most after becoming a Jedi Knight.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Anakin had Ahsoka as a Padawan, but Anakin was not a Master. In Ep 3 they were clear that even while he sat on the Council that he was not a Master.

9. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    In a way, I think that was a mistake in RoTS; I think Anakin should had been a Jedi Master after defeating Dooku.

10. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    The Jedi Council still did not find him ready. His minifit when the council reminded him of his Knight status confirmed it for them.

11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Oh, agreed.
    It makes you wonder, also, if the Jedi Council deemed him too powerful and granting him access to the archives (a perk of Master status) might be a bad mistake in the long term.

TheManFromMortis and TheBBP like this.
  12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Totally agree... Whilst I'm not a great believer in playing fast and loose with what's in the existing movies, I think we have to cut the storytellers a bit of slack when trying to tell different stories in the same universe. You of course are correct, Anakin having a Padawan and Dooku versus Obi-Wan/Anakin in TCW does not contradict the films directly. It only contradicts our assumptions. I'm personally much more precious about contradictions within the films e.g. "He betrayed and murdered your father", "there is another" etc. And even then they can be easily explained with a few words of dialogue.

InterestingLurker, Dra--- and Diggs like this.
  13. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    I could agree to that. But let's not forget that Anakin was never destined to become a Master in the PT; remember his words in ANH: When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master. Also, in ROTS Obi-Wan explained: You have been given a great honor. To be on the Council at your age... It's never happened before. So we can assume that there are some standards a Jedi must fulfill before entering the Council and/or becoming a Master, one of them is, obviously, age.

Technically, no. But that's just semantics. At the beginning of ROTS Obi-Wan says: This time we will do it together. That's clearly a reference to AOTC duel(s), and Anakin's line My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count by tone and circumstances refers to the outcome of the aforementioned duel.
    As for Anakin having a Padawan, I personally never liked it. It's never hinted in the movies, in fact, I can't find anything in Anakin's personality that would justify giving him a young person to be molded in the Jedi ways. Anyway, I agree with some previous posts, that Anakin would have been referred to as Master in ROTS if he had an apprentice, but also with his statement from ANH which I quoted above of him being a learner when he... left.
    Because of their frivolous approach to TCW production, that series never succeeded to grasp my attention.

Dewback, GGrievous, TKT and 1 other person like this.
  14. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Sabine has been given a surname, Wren

15. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    There were rumors out there for a while that one of the REbels characters would show up in the ST.

Just wondering who people think that might be now,if true.

Ezra would be in his late 50's-early 60's at the time of the ST. Depending on how far his Jedi training goes he could be a problem with the "last of the Jedi will you be" thing.

Zeb seems like a good choice for several reasons. They can always make his species long lived, and he'd most likely have a lot of make-up on or be CGI, so the same actor could be used to provide the voice. Also wouldn't discount chopper being the character who shows up in the ST (if there is one).

Dra--- and Diggs like this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    To be a Jedi Master you have to train a padawan to knighthood. Anakin's not a Jedi Master because his padawan never finished her training.

17. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Best and most fitting explanation. Has anyone seen the scan of the Episode descriptions on jedinews? It says Moraband and the "whills" are called priestresses...

Dra--- likes this.
  18. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I am beginning to believe that the delay behind getting these episodes has a lot to do with setting the canon moving forward. With Yoda thinking that it is impossible for a Jedi to have a presence beyond the grave, it is also retcons a bunch of EU on the subject. It seems to me like they are beginning to set the stage for canon and lore to come

InterestingLurker and Dra--- like this.
  19. thecurseofchris

thecurseofchris Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Why do I have this uneasy feeling that we're going to get "Special Editions" of the prequels eventually that tie up any loose ends that TCW created? I watched the first few episodes of the series and never really liked it, and hearing about these things that you guys say happen that contradict the movies just irritates me.

20. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Rebels might do some of that. They have said that it isn't beyond possibility that some TCW characters may make it into Rebels. My personal vote is for Hondo.

Darth Rycbar and Darkslayer like this.
  21. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Says who? Weren't they calling Obi-wan mast when Anakin was still a Padawan?

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Who were, though? Ordinary people sometimes address even Padawans as "Master Jedi".

23. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I wonder if there will be a spin-off on the Balrog.
    What would TCW-friendly special editions of the prequels change besides the CIS leaders and the conversation about Qui-Gon?

Darkslayer and TheBBP like this.
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Anakin: My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count.
    Dooku: Your powers have doubled since last Tuesday?!

25. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013

There are what seems to be two different voices, but that's because it's most likely two different Priestesses speaking in the trailer. Regardless, it makes sense that they are referring to Moriband as "the ancient homeworld of the Sith" as the trailer cuts to Yoda exploring the planet once known to us as Korriban. According to the Jedi News summaries, the "mushroom world" is an ancient planet that acts as "the source of the midi-chlorians" and a "wellspring of the Force." The latter is not unlike Mortis. The former is interesting, but I wonder if the ST would be willing to reference the controversial midi-chlorians at all. This has the potential to be a very interesting setup to the spiritual aspects of the Force in the ST, or simply another piece of the puzzle in the great mystery that is the Force that will not be revisited at all.

That's true in most cases. IIRC, Aayla Secura became a Jedi Master without having trained any (known) apprentice. So there appear to be exceptions, and I believe The Jedi Path touches up on this briefly, but in the vast majority of cases, one most train a Padawan to Knighthood before becoming a Master.

Regarding Rebels, I wouldn't be surprised if the youngest survivors of the Ghost crew show up in the ST. If Ezra survives, he'd be an elder Jedi Master in Luke's New Order, most likely. Sabine, due to her Mandalorian background, could be the new Mand'alor, basically taking Boba Fett's place in the old post-RotJ EU as leader of Mandalore. That could be interesting, and if so the Mandalorians would most be good guys in the ST...provided they even show up at all, which is a longshot. Zeb is a Lasat, Chewbacca's original species in the McQuarrie concept art, and who knows how long they live? These three I feel have the most potential of showing up in the ST. But only time will tell...

Dra--- and Iron_lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.