main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    lol

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  2. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    ^ You should share this in the TV section!!! They/we have been wondering for months.

"The listings give the run time as 395 minutes for the blu-ray and 390 for the DVDso it looks like there will be 5 extra minutes in there for something that is blu-ray exclusive."
    An extra feature maybe? Certainly not more animation.

starocean90 likes this.
  3. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    The wiki should be divided between movies, book/comics/etc, out of continuity books/comics/etc.

All this silliness is pointless.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    It seems kinda odd to wait until February and March to release correspondence material for TFA. By that time, most of the hype would have died down...outside of fan circles, at least. You would think they would want to strike when the iron is still hot. [face_dunno]

5. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    from what I've seen it seems no VII books/comics/whatever else or VII related material come out before the movie is released seems like the majority of the pre-movie material are stuff set between VI and VII or earlier and are only meant to serve as clues/hints of VII and no real spoilers, I could mistaken but that's what it seems to be.:)

6. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    The more devout fans are the only ones that really seek out Star Wars beyond the films, though. So I don't think it really matters at all.

7. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011

[​IMG]

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Right...but wasn't it mentioned that the comic adaptation, novelization, etc. would only be a week or two behind the initial release? That makes sense to me, but a young adult novel and storybook based on the film being released 2-3 months after the film? That's the part that seems off, especially since I'm sure there will be plenty of children who would be interested in reading them and learning more about the film after they have seen it. You would think that stuff would all be lumped together in the same general timeframe. I remember with the PT, there were hordes of that stuff in stores around the release of the films. I don't know. I guess things are just different this time around. We'll see what happens.

9. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I do agree but that's what it seems but they are releasing some VII books on the day of release just not all of them it currently seems.[face_dunno]

10. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    my kind of scum and starocean90 like this.
  11. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Thank goodness. I was starting to get worried that they would forego a physical release entirely.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  13. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011

14. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    [face_plain]

16. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
  17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    If they were going to use one of those as the book title, I would've preferred "Lethal Alliance," personally, but that might've been too close to the Legends book Fatal Alliance. Dark Disciple isn't that bad, it's just...a title that makes me think "mega emo."

18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    seems like a short story in SW insider
    [​IMG]

19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    My take is this, the worst of the eu will always be worse than anything Disney can come up with, but the best of the EU is untouchable, and should be revered. It is the EU haters that make EU lovers feel like troglodytes

KDC1972 and NostalgiaFan like this.
  20. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    But the EU lovers (which I am) need to recognize that the EU has been clashing with firm canon for years, not just since the Disney purchase. The EU's been continuously retconned by each PT film's release, and again by TCW in 2008, an ongoing process as the show progressed. And it goes back even further, with SOTME being problematic with the actual sequel films, with the original Marvel run essentially being ignored entirely for pretty much all of the '90s, and with very few references to the Han Solo or Lando Calrissian Adventures.

Even those "revered" works like the Thrawn Trilogy have many clashes with current canon (the substance of the Clone Wars, the "Imperial Palace" not being the former Jedi Temple, etc), and--since LFL has 'ignored' them with the new movies--they can't just be mildly tweaked and work. We don't know for certain the relationship Kylo Ren or Rey have with the OT heroes, but it seems unlikely they'll be twins, born 5 years after ROTJ, and certainly won't be named "Jacen & Jaina", so there's a huge problem with continuity right there. The best hope is that a new Thrawn Trilogy might eventually be created--as a book, comic, animated series, whatever--with a major campaign Thrawn wages against the fledgling Republic, ending likely with his defeat...but this time around, maybe not his death. He could make for an interesting character after his initial campaign fails, and that's something the new canon can explore! All the EU could do with his popularity was tell prequel stories about him, and the simultaneous plot of an impostor put forth by some Remnant bigwigs to scare the New Republic and an actual clone contingency plan set in place by Thrawn in the event of his death. Not the best way to capitalize on a character that certainly made an impact on fans, tho the duology was, at least, a great way to wrap up the Bantam era of the EU.

Revanfan1 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  21. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I think the EU should be over the pt. Just because Lucas ruined star wars is not the EU's fault. But oh well. It is what it is

22. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    What's really happened is that the former T-canon has been moved up into G-canon, with C-canon moved down into S-canon. This is how Lucas operated while making the PT and TCW anyway. New material is G-, S- or N-canon as needed.

It's basically a simplification of the canon hierarchy--no more, no less.

23. RogueSquadron19

RogueSquadron19 Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2015
    I'm reading the marvel star wars comic series, and I love how sassier Vader seems in the comics [face_laugh]

cwustudent likes this.
  24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I wouldn't wipe my ass with the vast majority of the EU.

25. hazydavy

hazydavy Jedi Knight

Nov 11, 2014
    Sorry for the stupid question: is the Clone Wars micro series (the one that preceded the real CW series) considered canon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.