main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    Disney Infinity 3.0 is Legit you can tell that the development team went all out with getting everything they could up to the Clone Wars VO cast, and having star wars music everywhere. I was in the Hall of Heroes which is modeled after the award ceremony from ANH with that music playing. The Twilight of the republic playset plays out just like a clone wars episode and the story so far has been decent.

StarWarsFreak93 likes this.
  2. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Yeah, it's a great SW experience. I love when battle droids run away in fear of you! xD

3. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  4. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I mean that just for me I always think of Biggs as having just made contact with the Alliance peior to the start of ANH. Even though those deleted scenes aren't canon, it seems weird to me to think of Biggs having been around long enough to be part of the R1 mission or be shown in Rebels.

Toonimator likes this.
  5. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I don't know about you but I always thought Biggs left at least 1 year before IV when they reunite and Biggs seems all enthusiastic about seeing Luke and talking about the old times or when Beru says most of his friends are gone doesn't sound like just before IV. Let's not forget that Biggs is also older than Luke.;)

I have said before that my 2 pipe dreams guest or supporting characters in Rebels are Biggs and Wedge, so I do hope both appear. Since Biggs dies in IV the only way to get more of him is pre-IV and Rebels being in that time period and a show about the Rebellion is a good way to get more of the character.[face_whistling]

cwustudent and Artoo-Dion like this.
  6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    @hippie1kenobi
    seems like your idea of Biggs might be right, doing some quick research on SW.com and in the possible canon reference book Ultimate Star Wars those deleted scenes do seem to happen. But it doesn't mean that Biggs couldn't show up in Rebels maybe not on the Rebel side but on the Imperial side, maybe even a double agent? Or he never intended to defect until he saw the horrors of the Empire. Let's not forget. he supposedly joined the Imperials and recently graduated and tells Luke he plans to defect to the Alliance.[face_whistling]
    http://www.starwars.com/databank/biggs-darklighter-biography-slideshow

nightangel likes this.
  7. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Only I didn't say he left just before ANH, I said made contact with the Alliance, which is what was established in the deleted scenes. He left for the Academy a while before the start of the film, returned in the begining and told Luke that he was planning on defecting and joining the Alliance once his ship leaves. In that timeline, Biggs could not have had any role in stealing the DS plans or been involved during Rebels.

Again, I know it is not canon so those things are possible, I was just making a comment that the idea feels odd to me, and explained why.

Edit: took me so long to post, you already responded. I think with the new canon they could put Biggs in R1, but I am not sure about Rebels. Depends on how close to ANH the show eventually gets, I guess. I like the idea, I'm just origrammed to find it confusing. I must unlearn what I have learned. ;)

nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  8. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    @hippie1kenobi
    pretty sure unless the show is canceled that it will at minimum end at IV but I do recall something about it potentially going beyond IV. As for Biggs in R1 maybe he helped the Rebels in their mission in some way without being a member of the stealing party, although I feel like him appearing in R1 is doubtful.

nightangel likes this.
  9. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Biggs could also be pulling an Obi-Wan on Luke. He joined the alliance a long time ago and told Luke he was thinking of joining them to see Luke's reaction to it. He is clearly trying to recruit him.

Basically, everyone is lying to Luke in ANH. Obi Wan, Uncle Owen, Han, Biggs..... Poor lad!

starocean90 likes this.
  10. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Double Post

11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    New Canon Material (Rebels, TCW, comics, novels) and the ST

It seems that the there's not a lot of 'and the ST' in this thread.

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    thought i'd collect some of the parts of sw: aftermath being spoiled on reddit.

A seemingly important quote from Tashu, the shady former advisor to the emperor, when asked what the remaining officers should do.
    "No Sith remains. And the lone Jedi that exists--the son of Anakin Skywalker--possesses an untouchable soul. At least for now. We must instead move towards the dark side. Palpatine felt that the universe beyond the edges of our map was where his power came from. Over the many years he, with our aid, sent men and women beyond known space. They built labs and communication stations on distant moons, asteroids, out there in the wilds. We must follow them. Retreat from the Galaxy. Go out beyond the veil of stars. We must seek the source of the dark side like a man looking for a wellspring of water."

Tashu's story ultimately leads to him getting captured by the New Republic, so I doubt he'll ever get the chance to see whatever the Emperor was doing out there. Mothma is Chancellor. Immediately moves to relinquish Palpatine's emergency powers and "demilitarize our government so galactic war cannot happen like this again." Plans to cut military by 90% when they are able to confirm an end to the war. She wants to help fund smaller militarized operations against the Empire forces. She has some advisors that agree with this line of thinking, but others that think this will lead to a series of smaller civil wars

There's a Tatooine interlude. They mention that there is still a power vacuum from Jabba's death.
    In it, a guy named Adwin Charu (working for the red key company) goes on a Jawa Sandcrawler looking for high quality goods for his employer, not the trash they sell to just anybody. Meets a guy named Cobb Vanth, seems to have local knowledge. Cobb helps negotiate with the Jawas to show Adwin the rare goods. Amongst the rare goods are Hutt artifacts, parts of a sail barge, all burnt, twisted, and wrecked.
    Also amongst the rare goods is a box. Adwin opens it, and it contains a full set of Mandalorian armor, "pitted and pocked as if with some kind of acid. Been through hell and back." Cobb claims it for himself, saying he is a newly appointed lawman. Cobb shoots Adwin and tells him to tell his boss to leave the sector or come after him and his "new--well, new to me--suit of armor." He leaves.

Oh yeah I forgot, there are Palpatine decoys being propped up by the Empire to convince people (in the capital and presumably elsewhere) that the Emperor is still alive, but it's not really fooling everybody.

There are references to Dexter Jettster and General Grievous. Also, one of the Interludes is about Dengar.

A Kubaz named Ooblamon is selling a red lightsaber in a trashed tenement in Taris. In the room is graffiti, and the author mentions a stencil of Vader's helmet with a phrase beneath it reading "VADER LIVES."
    Three people try to by the lightsaber. A pale girl, and two in black robes. Faces concealed.
    He asks who they are, she says "We are adherents. Acolytes of the Beyond."
    He asks if they are dark side fanatics or just kids who want toys. She tell him to "judge us not, thief."
    He warns them not to try to kill him once they get the saber. She says "we are not violent. Not yet."
    He asks what they plan to do with it, she says "we will destroy it, so that it can be returned to its master in death." When they leave, the merchant's assistant asks if that was really Vader's saber, and he responds with a "who knows, who cares?"

There is an interlude featuring Han and Chewie on the Falcon. They are going on a low profile mission for the rebellion. It says that Han misses Luke, Leia, and even Lando, but it doesn't really touch on his relationship with any of them beyond that. Leia is only in the book in the form of a holovid speech towards the beginning of the book. Luke is NOT in the book. He is only mentioned, and some Imperial refers to him as the Rebellion's "golden boy"

Also worth mentioning, Han gets a message from a non-Alliance contact, Imra, that Kashyyyk (which is still in Empire control) has an opening that could be exploited to liberate the planet. It seems Imra wants Han and Chewie to help (with a team of other smugglers, mercenaries, and formerly enslaved Wookiees) liberate Kashyyyk, and they DON'T want the help of the New Republic.
    Han agrees and goes off with Chewie to do this.

Wedge survives.

There's a very small group of Imperial leadership on Akiva. Admiral Sloane, who has command of what she claims is the last Super Star Destroyer. Moff Pandion (self proclaimed Grand Moff), who thinks there needs to be a strong, centralized emperor. The Satrap of the planet, who is a regional governor with little power. Arsin Crassus, a banker/slaver who helped fund the empire. And Tashu, the former adviser to Palpatine that I mention elsewhere.

At the end, it's revealed that Sloane (the only one of that batch to make it out of the Akiva conflict that the book covers) was reporting to a greater imperial Admiral, waiting deep in space. It's implied that he wanted the situation to go badly so that he could eliminate any competitors for power, and also see if Sloane was a capable admiral. I can't remember right now if he's mentioned earlier in the book, but I'll check tomorrow. Also I couldn't see if he was blue ;)EDIT: I just checked earlier in the book. Apparently this is the "fleet admiral." Sloane lies to the other imperials early in the book about him being dead and her assuming command of his ships. They spoke of him highly as an officer.

Cloud City has an interlude. It is still in imperial hands, but it seems like Lando and Lobot are behind the scenes in an underground effort to liberate the city. They aren't seen, just spoken of. There is nothing having to do with Luke/Anakin's saber being found there.

The penultimate interlude scene is on Jakku. It's really a desolate place. Sounds like it's just sand forever. Deals with characters we don't know.
    One of them says "Not many folks FROM here. Most folks...just end up here. Jettisoned like so much worthless cargo. Dropped like waste."
    He later says "you don't get more nowhere than here."

Nothing on the Knights of Ren. One of the Imperials that plays a small part in the main story is a guy named Tashu. He was an advisor to Palpatine. Seems like he is well versed in Sith history, and definitely thinks the remnants of the empire should embrace the dark side. No powers or anything, though.

It seems the political situation on the capital planet is that it still has Imperial presence, but it's weakening. Underground attacks and mass riots have been undermining imperial presence there.

Corwin shows up on Jakku at a bar in an interlude chapter. He came to Jakku because he wanted to get as far from the fighting as he could. Seems like his family's dead and he's just trying to get away.

Somebody in the coruscant interlude mentions a secret passage or something behind Dex's Diner.
    One of the protagonists has a vibroblade wielding modified battle droid fighting for him. He mentions that he programmed its combat from multiple sources, including "some cyborg general from the Clone Wars."

The book sort of culminates with a mass riot/rebellion of its citizens. The Satrap is overthrown, the empire flees, and it becomes the first planet in the Outer Rim to officially welcome the New Republic, setting an example for other outer rim planets.[spoiler/]

13. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    Yo spoiler Tag that man.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

thejeditraitor likes this.
  14. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Can we finally accept that Plaguies isn't Snoke

Dra---, Seeher, Revanfan1 and 5 others like this.
  15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i can't seem to get the spoiler tags right. if a mod could fix that for me i'd appreciate it.

16. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

Please, God, yes.

17. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Thrawn Lives!

OK, maybe not but that is my current guess about the mystery character.

Revanfan1, NostalgiaFan and dekaneas like this.
  18. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Aftermath is not the best writing, but it is a lot of fun. For me, knowing that it is the official follow-up to Return of the Jedi ups the enjoyment factor quite a few notches. I read the samples leaked on reddit and cannot wait to see the rest of the book when I am able to get my hands on it.

Rabs likes this.
  19. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Aftermath sounds amazing...

And EA released a new trailer for Star Wars Galaxy Of Heroes! Looks like an epic mobile game, and I think it might be released this week... I'd post the trailer, but I'm pressed for time and on my iPad so...

20. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

StoneRiver and nightangel like this.
  21. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I'd guess that too. These books are tasked with winding down the Empire. They can do it however they wish so long as it doesn't step on the movies and ultimately concludes at a designated point. An Admiral like Thrawn isn't going to piss in TFA's cheerios but it might sell books for the time being.

22. bdh1138

bdh1138 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 24, 2015
    Gah, you all are killing me... I so want to open all of those, but I'm making myself wait since I'll have it to read for myself in just a few days anyway.

23. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ugh...I know what you mean!

Both threads are full of spoiler tags and I'm so tempted to open them, but I'm telling myself I can wait until I have the book in my hands!

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I can wait till Friday, I can wait till Friday, I can wait till Friday. [face_praying]

25. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006

Let's not forget that he didn't join the Imperials at all in the deleted scenes:
    The Academy doesn't always mean military service; it's just a state-run chain of schools. Biggs was part of a civilian merchant ship and joined the Rebellion to avoid being drafted into the military. Minister Tua didn't have a military ranking, AFAIK, yet she attended the Academy. That's one element of the deleted scene I hope they remember, and perhaps explore... I'd rather Biggs have just turned up at Yavin a day or two before Luke rather than have him lie about planning to join the Rebellion he was already with as he did in Dark Horse's "Darklighter" story (an Imperial officer in a cape...ugh!)

cwustudent and starocean90 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.