main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Materials (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and Episode IX - SEE WARNING ON PAGE 41

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jan 4, 2018.

1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think that's it. Filoni gets a pass from some because he's George's protege. I also think an ainmated TV show slips under the radar in a way a live action feature doesn't. I think RJ, JJ, and GE all did better than Filoni. When Filoni's good, he's pretty good. But a lot of it feels underwhelming to me, and I don't think his character work is strong enough.

2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I do like the fact Filoni's still around because, as has been stated, he's Lucas' protégé and there's clearly a lot of Lucas in him. He does actually remind me very much of Lucas in his PT days. Really good when he's good, but is capable of making some complete and utter howlers. But yeah, it’s a tough one. It’s just that with him around I feel like Lucas' spirit is still within Lucasfilm.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm glad he's around, I just don't see him as the wunkerkind some do. And I'm really not fussed if he never gets to direct a live action feature.

4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars Adventures #7 preview.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Star Wars #44 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sheri1967 likes this.
  5. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    The "art". It’s really destroying the SW comic series, IMO.

6. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    It is such a shame. The story could be fantastic but the artwork is terribly distracting.

Luke'sSeveredHand and Krueger like this.
  7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    What don't you like about it?

8. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    @Satipo @Krueger Problem with a show like Rebels is that it feels like a big retcon of the OT. I wouldnt mind if these things were happening in the past or future. But all these force-related major new lore taking place a couple of years before ANH...feels kinda off. Escpecially when NONE of all this is acrually mentioned in any movie, which make the series feel like a alternative timeline, something alsmost entirely removed from the SW universe we know onscreen. Best example is Ahsoka. Seems like she's important to Anakin's story yet you know when watching the movies that she was a afterthought/retcon and that Vader never had an apprentice in his jedi days.

The fact that all these very important eras with important events are done as a kid show -with the childish rendition you cant avoid even if it has more mature themes- doesnt help neither. Feels to me so little connected to the SW i know and love that it feels like a different universe to me.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  9. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    It’s that Larroca guy in the main SW comic line. The tracing is abysmal. Lacks any sense of personality or, IMO, skill. Generic and lazy. It’s horrible to look at and every time I see it, it pretty much pulls me right out of the story. I mean, he literally takes stills from films (and not just SW films, mind you), and traces over them. It’s utterly grotesque.

To me, the art that goes within a comic is just as important, if not more so, than the actual story being told. The art in the main SW line is so horrible to look at, I’m sorry to say, I don’t really care how good the actual story is. Visuals play a big part in comics, IMO. Give him the boot, already.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  10. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Maybe it is an alternate timeline :p. Who knows anymore? You could have Rey be the mother of Obi-Wan or Kylo the father of Anakin and it won't be that absurd anymore after Filoni introduced time shenanigans by creating WBW.

On a more serious note however, I would be very surprised if other storytellers decided to continue using Filoni's WBW concept in the future. On the basis that doing so will turn SW into something like Doctor Who. And that is something I believe no one at Lucasfilm wanted. Well... except Filoni if it suits him of course [face_cowboy][face_rofl]. But yeah, WBW will remain exclusively as Filoni's deus ex machina plot device I'm sure.

11. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008

completely agree.

reference is one thing but entirely basing your storyboard from shots from the movies is just lazy.

Do they really not realise that the only people reading star wars comics are going to be die-hard star wars fans and have therefore seen the movies countless times? Almost every frame takes me out of the story because it plants me right back to where the original frame is from in the OT

12. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Also like why did Leia never change her hair in three years? I thought she would probably have endless ways to arrange it. I can understand Han always dressing the same But I figured Leia and Luke would change outfits sometimes...

kalzeth likes this.
  13. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Larroca draws Han and Luke using their scenes from ANH and Leia from ESB (sometimes you can get immediately which scene he copied)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

link: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/01/theres-something-off-about-marvels-star-wars-comic/

14. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    Disgusting. Seriously. Truly horrendous.

15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Her hair stylist was blown up on Leia’s planet.

16. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    The issue is I can tell exactly where he has lifted the frame from which makes me think think of that scene and not what I’m actually reading.

The argument for it is that this way we get a month series on time. I’d much prefer to get bimonthly if it meant the quality vastly improved even if it meant dropping an arc or two. Maybe it’s just me but the last few arcs have been bust anyway.

TLDR - quality of quantity.

Krueger, cwustudent and kalzeth like this.
  17. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    omg you're right. In the Leia novel she had her droid who did her hair for her. Without that droid she only has the few ways left that she knew how to do herself.

18. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    C'mon, Leia knows how to searches hairstyles on Youtube... And Chewie probably helped in her last ANH's hairstyle
    [​IMG] (Leia has so much hair, she is basically Rapunzel)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  19. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    She probably uses the Force to do her hair.

I know I would.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Jedi Jessy and oncafar like this.
  20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Yes but that wasn't until she knew she had the Force. TFA cowpie hair may have been her first attempt.

If only Luke knew in TLJ that Leia's comment about changing her hair was to show her progress with her Force abilities.

Storm_Cloud likes this.
  21. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    This. I stopped reading the comics because of it. Incredibly distracting...

kalzeth likes this.
  22. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Exactly (this last one of Han I call Tyrannosaurus Solo)
    [​IMG]

oncafar, Krueger and kalzeth like this.
  23. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    Tyrannosaurus Solo! [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

And look at that Luke above. It looks like an oversized cereal bowl has been neatly placed atop his bald head.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    oncafar and kalzeth like this.
  24. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Those three look like they might not be copied from anything. Though the first Han one reminds me a lot of Kylo.

25. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I think it was copied from ANH too (these of Han reminds me when they find Leia and maybe this Luke is when Obi Wan talked to him about his father)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    oncafar likes this.