main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion New Canon Materials (Rebels, Comics, Novels, etc.)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by hippie1kenobi, Feb 22, 2015.

1. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    This thread is for discussing any of the non-film new canon material without film spoilers/rumors. Any discussion as to how things may connect to future films cannot be based on any rumors/spoilers.

So, what are you reading, watching and/or playing?

Rebels has been fun so far. We have the big season finale coming up, and there is quite a bit of speculation based on clues in the show itslef as to how it will end. So you think they will be splitting Lothal soon? Who is Fulcrum?

Segueing into novels, I really liked A New Dawn and thought Hera's character was handled very well. Tarkin was okay. It had it's moments, but I hate when villian origin stories are basically "his family raised him to be evil". Not sure about Heir to the Jedi, though I'll probably read it once the local digital library has it.

I think the new comics are off to a good start. I like Star Wars better than Vader so far (super early of course), but I'm really looking forward to the short Princess Leia series. Kanan I am curious about.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    So far, I've not read anything from the new canon. I'll pick up the comic books at some point though, and probably a novel or two as well.
    And I'm absolutely loving Rebels so far!

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  3. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    I think they are doing a good job so far with the connections between media. They don't beat the viewer over the head with it, but the unfinished arc from TCW, A New Dawn, Rebels and even the comics are meshing well. I think Tarkin may have introduced and element or two that will pop up in other stories.

Have you been following some of the speculation regarding Rebels? No spoilers, all from in universe clues, but I'll err on the side of caution since some may not want even speculation...

There have been multiple references to Base Delta Zero. Is it foreshadowing that Tarkin will destroy Lothal in an attempt to get rid of the Ghost crew/rule by fear

4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I haven't kept up with Rebels at all. I just started TCW actually; saw the film in theaters but only just in January checked out the show and I'm only on episode 2.

Is Rebels tying into VII at all that you know of? If so perhaps I'll check it out before the film. If not it'll be something nice to save for after VII to fill the 2-3 year space between it and VIII.

What's this short Princess Leia series??

5. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    The official word, AFAIK, is that Rebels will not directly tie into VII, but there may be related themes, locations or stuff like that common to both stories.

Princess Leia is a five issue comic that starts next month. Its story starts immediately after the medal ceremony in SW and is about Leia dealing with the destruction of her planet and the Alderaanian dispora. I really like the art shown so far, though some complain that it is too stylized and doesn't look like Leia. Understandable, but I disagree.

I got the Skottie Young varient covers for SW #1 and Vader #1, so I have no choice but to complete the set so I can frame them ;-)

Sorry if I made it sound like a tv series. I see know that I wasn't too clear.

ETA: When you finish TCW, be sure to watch the unfinished arc that is on TOS. Ties into other stories really well. Also, be sure to give TCW plenty of time. Most afgree that it took amseason or two to reallt take of, and some find it hit or miss overall, but even then some stories shouldn't be missed.

6. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    I actually enjoyed Darth Vader number one much more than I liked Star Wars numbers one and two. I can't wait for Leia. I've been getting the blank covers so I can get some original art done. Our local Star Wars group is hoping to raffle off a couple during our TFA premier event.

I haven't really been watching Rebels. I saw the first episode and wasn't thrilled. I'll probably binge it when the whole season is available. I also have not read any of the novels or short stories from the Insider.

7. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I've been watching "Rebels" and really like it so far. Loving all the appearances from well-known characters (Seriously, I loved seeing Lando waaay more than I thought I would). I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that we'll get a teenaged Leia at some point.

I've also read the first two "Star Wars" comics (this is a new thing for me, I have never bothered with the comics before). But I really like them so far, and I'm planning to pick up the "Princess Leia" comics when they come out (How can I not? She's one of my faves).

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I've tried watching Rebels - I watched the TV movie and the first 2 episodes. I did not like them that much unfortunately - they felt like too much of knock-off of ANH - characters and story. Plus it's hard for me to get excited about Rebels when I watch it because I think about how we never got closure to The Clone Wars

9. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    Grr, I usually watch the episodes online at watchdisneyxd where they come out a week before the broadcast...since they aren't doing that for the final episode it is making the wait a pain.

Isn't there a new comic today? Vader #2, maybe...

10. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Yeah, Vader #2 came out yesterday. I subscribed to both Vader and Star Wars via Marvel and have been really disappointed since they don't ship the issues to you until release day and then it takes another 1-2 weeks for the comics to actually arrive. If they can get comics to shops by release date, I don't see why they can't get it to me by that date, too. I'll likely cancel my subscriptions and just start hitting up my local shop when new issues are released.

And you're right about Rebels - for people who watched Rebel Resolve via the XD app a week before it actually aired, that's a two-week wait until the finale. That's a long time. But the new preview that was released this morning gives every indication the wait will be worth it.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  11. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I was watching Rebels but it just hasn't been on at a good time for me this year. I've only managed to see a rerun of the Yoda episode and the first half of the Lando one in 2015. I might read some of the new comics soon. It would take alot to get me to read anymore SW novels.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I've never read any SW comics (or really any comics, besides Asterix the Gaul and Sunday newspaper comics as a kid, haha), and I just don't feel motivated to start now. Glad people are enjoying them, though. As for novels, I'm the same as you. In my case, I've read five SW novels (Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, Star Wars: A New Hope, and Darth Plagueis), and that was enough. I'm just not interested in reading more, even though the new ones are part of the new canon.

13. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I read about two dozen SW novels over the years and wish I hadn't wasted the time on more than half of those. I just can't justify spending more time or money on something that crappy even though I am interested.

14. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I saw the first episode DVD of Rebels but haven't kept up with it since I don't have cable and am less likely to watch shows in a web browser. At this point since I'll wait for the season to come out on video, I might wait until after seeing Episode VII, although I would like to go in catching references if there are any...but then I don't want any hint about anything in Episode VII. Hm, this is interesting. Maybe a connection will be nothing more than like seeing Aura Sing during the podrace.

15. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    I generally prefer non-fiction over fiction when reading, but a quick dumb novel every now and then is fine. I disliked about 50% of the old EU stuff that I read. The new stuff has been fun, but I doubt I will keep up on all of it.

For now, Rebels and the main SW comic are the two things I see myself following, but I'll read stuff here and there if it gets a good review.

I'm really looking forward to Battlefront. It's been a while since I played a fun SW video game.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    So far I've read A New Dawn, and I keep up with Rebels. Love them both! I never really paid much attention to TCW. I saw several random episodes, but amounting to only about half of one season. Now knowing that it's considered part of the new Canon, I am considering watching them. (I just don't want to spend $24 a season for all the blu rays!)

17. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    TCW was on Netflix last time I looked for it there (Netflix is 10 bucks a month)

18. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    What are the odds of characters and events from TCW and Rebels vein somewhat relevant to TFA? I haven't seen either series, mainly because I didn't particularly care for the prequels. I think I tried to watch the first episode of TCW on Netflix, but I couldn't get into it.

19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    In the US, it used to be $8 a month for streaming only, but it may have gone up a dollar or two. But yeah... it's definitely the best way to catch up on TCW for people who don't want to buy the DVDs. I only own the TCW movie on DVD, but none of the TV seasons. I watched most of the episodes as they aired, and then watched them all again on Netflix when they put them up with the Lost Missions season 6 episodes.

My thinking is that we won't see anyone from TCW in TFA. We might see someone from Rebels, but I doubt it. Events or storyline-wise, it's possible we may see something from Rebels referenced in TFA, but it would likely be something small and "easter egg-ish" for fans of the show. Even though TCW and Rebels are both within the new canon, I don't think they'll make them required viewing in order to enjoy or understand any of the new movies.

20. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    So, who watched the season finale of Rebels last night? It played out pretty much exactly as I suspected it would, but I thought it was pretty well executed and sets up some interesting potential plotlines for next season.

I'll use spoiler tags in case some haven't had a chance to see it yet...

I really dig Bail; it's always a good thing when he makes a cameo.
    The stolen TIE was a lot of fun.
    Ezra's lightsaber finally being put to proper use by Kanan. :)
    Some people are complainting about how Ahsoka looked. I thought it was fine. She is older now, and more importantly, this is a different show than the one we know her from. Different stylistic/artistic choices.
    So, Ahsoka vs Vader in season two or three?
    Base Delta Zero for Lothal next season? What about the deal with Vizago? Do we learn more about Ezra's parents at some point. Leia has to show up eventually, right?

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I really liked the finale... I thought it was the best episode of Rebels so far, and it definitely set up some great potential for future seasons.

22. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    Regarding the Rebels finale...

I agree with a lot of hippie1kenobi's post. I was semi-spoiled because of all the speculation about Ahsoka being Fulcrum, but I was surprised at how moved I was once she actually appeared on screen. Having her show up really felt like "coming home" in a way I did not expect.

(the following is not meant to re-ignite any canon wars, just a discussion of my own experience of SW. I promise).

I was a faithful TCW viewer, but for most of the series, I kind of considered it "fun" and wasn't as emotionally invested. After all, the film saga was said to be complete, and for me Star Wars was essentially over; TCW was just a bonus, and I didn't link it too much with the films in my mind. After the Disney purchase and the reboot of the EU, suddenly Rebels seemed to loom larger as part of the saga as a whole (and TCW got a "promotion" because it WASN'T decanonized). Once the show started, I really felt like it captured the spirit of SW more than TCW (and more than most of the old EU, at least for me). I felt invested in these characters, even though it wasn't entirely clear how they would fit into the larger story. And so the appearance of prequel characters like Luminara, who we know mostly as a TCW character, was neat and lent a gravity to those characters that I might not have given them. So seeing one of the main characters of TCW in the season finale of Rebels, and realizing she will play some kind of significant role going forward, was a big deal to me.

TL; DR version: Seeing Ahsoka got me choked up, okay? There, I said it.

ALSO...Anything other than an Ahsoka/Vader duel to the death would be a big cop-out at this point. I don't say that lightly and I don't say it because I dislike Ahsoka and want to see her die. But I don't think she can be alive during the OT; she's heading toward being a major figure in the Rebellion and it's hard to imagine that she wouldn't at least be at the Endor briefing. Maybe (MAYBE) I could accept her surviving until the first spinoff film and giving her life in some way in order to get the Death Star plans into the hands of the Rebels.

23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm sorry, but I still am missing The Clone Wars too much to enjoy Rebels a ton. Plus I am not exactly a fan of the Disney characters - I don't want to see random people who are part of the rebellion getting all the screen time, I want to see Ahsoka, Maul, Vader, Bail Organa, etc. getting the attention. Pivotal characters of the saga are who I want to see.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Vader is definitely going to be in S2, he's the last damn shot of S1! Of course, to avoid the TV villain of the week, I can see him going to Lothal, cleaning house, and leaving behind a darksider to clean up the mess

They're gonna need a new Darksider because Star Wars needs a red lightsaber person to fight the blue lightsaber person and the Inquisitor is toast. Literally. Can't be Vader because they need to keep him at maximum badass deadly factor.

Speaking of the comics, I love the way Vader is in the "Star Wars" series, he's uber deadly. He's a bit more conniving in the self-titled book but in "Star Wars", the dude is a freakin killing machine. That's how I can see him being used on Rebels, just mowing people down.

25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I see where you're coming from, but I'd like to point out that Ahsoka was a "random" character from a TV-show to begin with too!
    Personally, I'm really getting invested in the Ghost crew, and can't wait for season 2! As for Ahsoka, Lando, Vader, Tarkin, Bail, etc. etc. - yeah, I just want more of them too :D