main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion New Canon Materials (Rebels, Comics, Novels, etc.)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by hippie1kenobi, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    BigAl6ft6 Maybe the guy Vader could leave behind has a codename that starts with Star and ends with killer?:D

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Did anyone hear about how they revealed Palpatine's full name to be Sheev Palpatine?

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You are many months late on that score.

4. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm still disappointed about that. He'll always be Frank to me.

5. Forbidden Island

Feb 23, 2015
    lol yeah. I heard it came out around the time that Rebels book came out (or was it the Tarkin one). just discovered it this morning though!

6. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    It was in Tarkin.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Kind of laughing at the idea of Ezra, Kanan, etc. being "Disney" characters. And yeah, at one point Ahsoka was a new character coming out of nowhere, being introduced by a TV show too.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    But Ahsoka was the Padawan of the Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker. Bit different than the Rebels characters as far as significance of the Star Wars saga goes IMO

9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, that was actually the biggest problem with her introduction in the first place, IMO. Nothing in the movies ever hinted at Anakin ever having had an apprentice, so when she was introduced in TCW with that very role, a lot of people were surprised.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  10. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Not everybody in the saga needs to be OMG uber-powerful and important. These LFL (not Disney) characters are being positioned to contribute to the growth of the Rebel Alliance. That is pretty pivotal, IMO, and a story worth telling.

11. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    So Lucas/Disney announced today stuff we all knew was coming: Books and comics which bridge the gap between E6 and E7; i.e "Journey to Episode 7".

So here's a philosophical question: Are these books and comics considered spoilers? Chronologically they all take place between E6 and E7 but there can be no doubt that they will contain all sorts of insights and clues about E7 itself (heck, the press release even admitted as such).

I'm just wondering how much I should read and follow these during the upcoming autumn....

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  12. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I doubt there will be huge plot points set up or anything like that. I would think the idea will be more to set expectations of the setting for the ST. Political state of the galaxy, maybe some easter eggs, those sorts of things.

I'm confused about whether these are all YA and children's books or if there is an actual adult novel or two in there. The press release on TOS only seems to mention the YA/kids' stuff unless I issed something.

I'm sure those of us who aren't harcore-NSA will be happy to give the rest of you an idea of how spoilerish they seem to be once we read them.

Forbidden Island and smoothkaz like this.
  13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I wouldn't consider them spoilerish, but I won't be partaking before seeing the film.

I'd rather not have any preconceived ideas about the new trilogy going in, even my own imagination based off reading the books. I want my first taste of ST to be VII onscreen.

14. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Hmmm. I don't think of them as spoilers. Major plot points almost certainly won't be revealed, just backstory and worldbuilding. I'll be reading them.

But there goes me keeping the early post-ROTJ stuff canon in my head. RIP Lumiya/Bakura/Thrawn/etc.
    Nah, I'm still excited though. It's just bittersweet.

15. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    The EW.com article says:

"At least 20 new books—from novels for adults and teens to storybooks and stickerbooks for younger kids—will be released this fall to fill the gap between 1983’s Return of the Jedi and this December’s The Force Awakens," So ya we will be getting some novels. Those - and the comics - will be toughest to stay away from.

Sometimes I think being spoiler free is a fool's errand. I have to admit I am among those who were not happy to read the song title "The Death of Qui-Gon" prior to seeing E1. Even the toys have too many spoilers for my taste, but I also genuine enjoy doing a little midnight madness with my friends when they are released.

Skellybobs and hippie1kenobi like this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I saw a tweet saying that there won't be any spoilers for TFA from the new material. Still going to read them. Need my SW and Post ROTJ material fix.

17. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    It'll be interesting to read the new material, but if I do, it'll be after Ep VII hits theaters

jaqen likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It seems mostly YA, hell apparently sticker books are listed in that count, but "Star Wars: Aftermath" is a Del Rey adult hardcover, and Marvel will be doing two Ep. 7 prequel comics. So I'm gonna read those. I don't see it as a spoiler philosophically speaking because it's in-universe materiel. Star Wars is a multi-tendril franchise that stretches across years, you're just reading stories that happen before the particular story events of Force Awakens (and may hint towards stuff).

TheYodaPagoda and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    This same question occurred to me when I found out about the new books. I think I want to meet our new friends (and our old ones!) for the first time on the big screen. However, if someone were able to have these books vetted of spoilers, and found none, I might consider reading 'em.

Maybe you're right, but I think I'll wait for a review of the books to make sure.

20. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Whether or not it's spoiler material depends on what you think would spoil the movie for you ;)

Forbidden Island likes this.
  21. Forbidden Island

Feb 23, 2015
    Hmm interesting. Unless these books show up at the library, I doubt I'll get my hands on one before Episode VII. so, I don't think I need to worry about it.

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly. But Disney and LFL do not officially consider them to be spoilers...

[​IMG]
    (m)ary(a)n(z)issimos @maryannzi
    · ​

#StarWars friends! The new Journey to... books WON'T CONTAIN SPOILERS! In fact, you won't know what any clues were until the film rls.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Waiting until sometime after VII to consume this material will be a great way to fill in the years between VII and VIII.

Exactly. Some people are trying to stay so unspoiled as to not even watch teasers and trailers. Some might consider the revelation of basic relationships, like marital status of the characters, to be spoilers.

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    There is going to be even more material after that...................

25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I know.