main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga (New Canon) Qui Gon, Obi Wan, Anakin & Yoda only force ghosts known ever?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Thomo93, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Thomo93

Thomo93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 27, 2015
    So I've been wanting to talk about this for a long time now & since Disney have a new canon I felt it to be an appriotrate discussion for us to play with.
    Since TCW is still canon & (I think) mostly everything else before Disney purchased Lucasfilm is not. Is Qui Gon, Obi Wan, Anakin & Yoda the only (or known) four in the entire history of the Jedi Order that have been able to achieve the ability to retain their consciousness after physical death? (If no one know's why Qui Gon can't appear physically as a force ghost but only verballly please watch the Clone Wars TV series)

I only ask this just in case I may have missed something & you guys could maybe help point it out to me. Also, because being a force ghost doesn't really mean your dead & you can still retain your identity & commune with force sensitives. Would anyone like to see either of them make an appearance in the sequel trilogy as force ghosts? Or perhaps in a new TV series set in between each the seguel trilogy episodes? Let us know what you think :)

[​IMG]

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, they are the only Jedi who are (were) able to retain their identity after death. The Jedi, up until Yoda communed with Qui-Gon, didn't know that such thing was possible.

Thomo93 likes this.
  3. Thomo93

Oct 27, 2015

Awesome I thought so thanks dude :) Aha

4. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    Not really sure about where force ghosts stand with the new canon and all, but I just want to point out I'm still disappointed Qui-Gon's force ghost was never seen, and his body didn't vanish after death. (Though neither did Vader's). It just seems weird that Qui-Gon 'invented', or at least discovered, the whole force ghost thing, but he didn't get to be one.

5. Thomo93

Oct 27, 2015

I think the reason why Qui Gon's body never disappeared after he physically died was because he had only partially completed his training in life after physical death. Thus, in order to appear physically as a force ghost your body would also need to pass through into the neither world of the force like what happened to Yoda & Obi Wan. So since he was only able to complete half of his training he was only able to appear verbally (Season 6 of the Clone Wars will explain how Qui Gon dicovered this ability). Anakin on the other hand, Lucas mentioned in a interview I read a while back that his body did in fact pass through into the neither world of the force & Luke just went ahead & burnt his father's armor instead in the funeral prye. But, unlike Yoda & Obi Wan. Anakin never received any training from either Qui Gon, Yoda or Obi Wan on how to become a force ghost. So for some reason that remains a mystery I believe. Perhaps it just has something to do with being the chosen one of the force & he had the potential to do or be almost anything :)

DaveyWanKenobi likes this.
  6. DaveyWanKenobi

Nov 4, 2015

I agree with you that this is pretty much the logical conclusion to come to about Qui-Gon not having a force ghost, and I think that's what most fans have come to believe. I still can't help but feel that they pretty much just dropped the ball on explaining this one since it wasn't THAT important, and basically forced the fans to come to this conclusion. It'll always feel a little odd to me. At least he was able to be a force voice when anakin was making sand people fillets.:bluesaber::eek:"Anakin! NOOO!"

Thomo93 likes this.
  7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Technically, the Father must be a Force Ghost as well, as his body disappeared on death.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    When exactly do we see Vader not disappearing?

9. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    It seems that they are the only Jedi in the current canon to achieve such an ability. I am hoping that they reveal it's a long-forgotten Jedi technique and wasn't invented by Qui-Gon.

Thomo93 likes this.
  10. Thomo93

Oct 27, 2015

He may not of known about life after physical death. You have to be trained to be able to perform this ability. Then again, you might be right. Seeing as Mortis was almost kind of the 'Motherworld' to the living force anything sure is possible there :)

11. DaveyWanKenobi

Nov 4, 2015

I see you're point, but I can't prove a negative. We don't see it happening either. But as others have said many fans have come to believe he did disappear and they were simply burning the armor. No way to know for sure.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Still, we do know he eventually disappeared since his spirit appeared at the end.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  13. DaveyWanKenobi

Nov 4, 2015

It can't be proven one way or another. We.Did.Not.See.Either.Option. I was agreed with the point (I thought) you were trying to make, but if you're gonna act not seeing it proves it happened I'm done with this conversation. That brand of psuedo-logic annoys the hell out of me.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    ?!

I specifically said: absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. The only evidence that exists is that he became a Force spirit, therefore he (eventually) disappeared. The camera doesn't stay with his body when he dies, therefore one can't say he didn't disappear.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    All official material states that Anakin disappeared shortly after he died and that what was burned was the cybernetic remains and the suit, which was symbolic for Luke.

Thomo93 likes this.
  16. DaveyWanKenobi

Nov 4, 2015
    hmph. No choice but to admit defeat now.^:)^ I was going by the movies as I always do. I'm not doubting you but...what official material exactly? We talking EU stuff or quote from lucas or what? and when?

17. Jedispy77

Jedispy77 Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2015
    This is another area where I feel the PT veered into the realm of science-fiction, where the OT was more science-fantasy. In the OT, Ben became "more powerful than you could possibly imagine". Then, in the PT there became an explanation for what happened. Maybe less an explanation, but more detail when Yoda discussed Qui Gon's ability to commune with the Force. I always just like the idea that if you were strong with the Force your "spirit" could periodically re-enter this realm. I wish the "force ghost" concept was played out more like the Mirror of Erised in Harry Potter. Meaning, when you talk to a "force ghost", you're really just talking to the Force through the impression of the departed Jedi. I like the idea that when real people die, they die to themselves and become One with the Force ... because the Force is eternal. If you're a Sith however, you never become One with the Force and just fade away. It just seems to me that concept is more mythic, spiritual and timeless.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They are both space fantasy, not science fiction. What was said in the PT was:

"An old friend has learned the path to immortality."

Sure, very science fiction... /sarcasm

JoshieHewls likes this.
  19. Jedispy77

Jedispy77 Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2015
    Alexrd, I completely understand and appreciate your point. No sarcasm needed. That's why I said this is another area where the PT "veered" into science-fiction. I didn't state it WAS science-fiction. As you know, what sets science-fiction apart is typically a focus on expanding the technical future possibilities afforded to humanity. Fantasy is firmly rooted in the "impossibilities" where humans seek to transcend reality. I am merely pointing out that Lucas veered into the later by, once again, giving me too much information in the PT. We didn't need an explanation. Just show us.

20. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The Father, Anakin, Obi-wan and Yoda are the only individuals to become one with the Force on screen. Qui-Gon partially achieved it (we think), but was never granted full immortality.

Will be interesting if Luke learned the secret of immortality.

21. Thomo93

Oct 27, 2015
    This is basically how its discovered by Yoda & its the intial start of Qui Gons teachings to him. Who then Yoda passes onto Obi Wan Kenobi.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It would be cool if he knew how to just in case.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    When? How?

Science fiction is anything where the fictional science is the center piece of the story. That's not the case with Star Wars.

Where did you get an explanation? All we know is what Yoda said to Obi-Wan at the end of RotS: "An old friend has learned the path to immortality." Where's the so called 'science fiction'?

24. Jedispy77

Jedispy77 Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2015

Yeah, apologies Alexrd. I'm not being clear so I can understand the frustration. I guess my point is Lucas resorted more to exposition and explanation in the PT for my taste. I don't want to infringe upon those who love the PT's, because there are many great aspects to all three movies that are just terrific, particularly the complexity of the story. But as I posted previously, which I've included below, I just wish it was different. I wish more was left unsaid. That just my personal taste. I just need to let go of it because you can't change it and the story is what it is. Here is what I wrote previously:

This is another area where I feel the PT veered into the realm of science-fiction, where the OT was more science-fantasy. In the OT, Ben became "more powerful than you could possibly imagine". Then, in the PT there became an explanation for what happened. Maybe less an explanation, but more detail when Yoda discussed Qui Gon's ability to commune with the Force. I always just like the idea that if you were strong with the Force your "spirit" could periodically re-enter this realm. I wish the "force ghost" concept was played out more like the Mirror of Erised in Harry Potter. Meaning, when you talk to a "force ghost", you're really just talking to the Force through the impression of the departed Jedi. I like the idea that when real people die, they die to themselves and become One with the Force ... because the Force is eternal. If you're a Sith however, you never become One with the Force and just fade away. It just seems to me that concept is more mythic, spiritual and timeless.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I know what you wrote. You said: "In the OT, Ben became "more powerful than you could possibly imagine". Then, in the PT there became an explanation for what happened."

However, there was no explanation whatsoever. You don't know how they were able to retain their identity after death. It wasn't explained. Therefore, your assertion that this is an area where "the PT veered into the realm of science-fiction" makes no sense. And this has nothing to do with loving the PT or not. You're free to like it or dislike it.