main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga (New Canon) Qui Gon, Obi Wan, Anakin & Yoda only force ghosts known ever?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Thomo93, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Jedispy77

Jedispy77 Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2015
    Where on earth did you gather that you could speak like that on here? Time for a break.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You're in a discussion board and you complain about argumentation? And who are you to call anyone immature with your offensive and childish remarks? Grow up, will ya?

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm glad they made Qui-Gon the first Force Ghost because the Legends EU had way too many ghosts. Ghosts were so common that they ceased to be special. Also notice that Vader is confused when Obi-Wan disappears, implying that Vader doesn't know about Force Ghosts.

Thomo93, DaveyWanKenobi and Slicer87 like this.
  4. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    In TESB, Yoda tells Luke that they are luminous beings, not this crude matter. In ROTS, Yoda tells Anakin that he should not mourn those who transform into the force. Later Yoda tells Obi-Wan that Oui-gon, returned from the neither world of the Force. It seems Yoda believed everybody transforms into the force when they die, but only a few know how to come back from the force. The films were not clear if Qui-Gon learned how to become a force ghost before or after he died as Yoda states there is a force neither world. This is going solely by the films of course.

People coming back as ghosts has often been called a form of in mortality, like in a episode of Night Gallery.

With Anakin's body in ROTJ, we don't see it disappear right after death like with Obi-Wan and Yoda. Now it could be possible it did offscreen, but then shouldn't the torso of Vader's suit be collapsed when on the funeral pile if there was no body in it?

5. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    I kinda see what you're saying, and it kinda plays into what I was saying before: they kinda explained it but not really. You're arguing that they didn't explain it that well, so it's still ambiguous, and he(and me) were arguing that even just midichlorians are too much explanation. At this point, the argument has broken down to the point where it shouldn't be an argument anymore. We both agree that The Force was intended to be (and still is) somewhat ambiguous. We're focusing basically on what makes or doesn't make a force ghost. We don't see Qui-Gon disappear yet he 'invented' it, we see Obi-Wan disappear, we see Yoda disappear, and we assume (off screen) that Anakin disappears too. The only part anyone seems to disagree about is whether or not Midichlorians (a literal symbiotic parasite) is necessary in the explanation of it all. I think they weren't, you say there's nothing wrong with it, and we (or really you two, but me too in spirit) bicker back and forth about it. The bottom line is: whether or not the idea was or wasn't 'scientifically' explained, the story remains 99.999% unchanged. I think it's time that we accept that 'midichlorians VS a completely unknown explanation of The Force' is just a natural divide amongst Star Wars fans. There really is no correct answer here. Maybe it's not left as ambiguous as some of us would have liked(me), but it's still pretty goddamn mysterious even if you include midichlorians in the argument. The basic idea of The Force and, by extension, Force Ghosts remains pretty ambiguous no matter how you slice it.

6. Thomo93

Thomo93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 27, 2015
    Yet until Vader (Anakin Self) becomes one himself in the end, anyway :)

7. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Further thinking about this, we don't really see a force ghost until TESB as Obi-wan comes back as just a voice in ANH like Qui-gon in the PT. Perhaps it took some time for Obi-wan to fully master coming back from the force neither world? ​

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

We don't know what other injuries that Vader had in the years since Mustafar. We already know he has a neck injury according to what we see in ROTJ.

[​IMG]

Or that Luke couldn't see him because he wasn't fully trained. Luke could see him on Hoth, but not on Dagobah until after his clocked in a lot of hours training. Leia doesn't see Anakin, Obi-wan and Yoda on Endor.