main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New cartoon series after episode VII?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth slaughter, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    We've seen nothing but Clone Wars the last ten years. Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, the 2003 series, the 2008 movie, the 2008 series, and an onslaught of books, comics, and video games since then. Unless you count Droids and Ewoks, there is no OT-era audio visual EU besides the video games. I really want a show set either between III and IV or during the OT. That would be a breath of fresh air. It seems like that's not going to happen though. The 'era unexplored by the films or TV shows' can only mean before TPM or after ROTJ. My bet is on post-ROTJ.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If the go with the "Wacky Post Ep 6 - Pre Ep 7 Between the ST Disney Adventure Show" (working title) there could be a chance they get Mark Hamill or even Carrie Fisher to reprise Luke & Leia in their roles. I think that would add a bit of prestige to it. I don't concur that the post-ROTJ period has been overdone, if you look at the wording of the press release it's an era that hasn't been explored in movies or film and it certainly hasn't been done in that medium. Long odds are on it being pre-TPM, middle odds on Dark Times era, but I think post ROTJ would be the best way to focus the Star Wars brand on the ST era & characters.

I loved seeing the Clone Wars since for 2 decades I had no bloody clue what it was about. Now I do. And I really dug it. And it's time to move forward.

Normal_Nerds and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I hope they let Tartakovsky make the new series.

4. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    What?

Writers have been playing in the post-ROTJ sandbox for over 20 years.

5. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    I found one little nugget on the new show in the Hollywood Reporter story
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-wars-clone-wars-ending-cartoon-network-427331
    So the new series might not look all that different from Clone Wars, my biggest fear is a Disney is going to try to do the next series on the cheap.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yup but like it said the new show will occur in a spot "hasn't been covered in movies or TV". That's post ROTJ. And I would love to actually see it, like, y'know, move and with voice actors and hear R2-D2 beep so forth. And, when it comes to that particular medium, it'll be a whole new experience. And by setting it post ROTJ it'll keep the brand pointed in the ST-friendly direction.

7. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Trust me, they will. It's one of the reasons I suspect a Dark Times series. You've already got character models, ship models, planet environments, all ready to go with very little prep time.

Yancy

8. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    This is the one-time I hope Disney goes cheap.:p

9. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    I don't have a problem with this for whatever time frame it's set in, just as I am expecting them to reuse stuff from EP 7 for the spinoffs :) In terms of getting animation to look realistic on TV they can't do much better so I hope they keep this style instead of the more stylized version.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Didn't Lucas order EU writers years ago to leave the period from 18 BBY to 3 BBY alone because he had plans for it?

Lucas is still on at Disney as a creative consultant, is it possible that there could be a show set during this period, one that actually wouldn't **** with the EU because there isn't much EU to **** with?

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  11. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I think he dropped the TV series down.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Keeping the same character animation would be great because it would keep a sense of continuity between them and give it a sense of history (Batman animated series, Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League all look kinda similar to each other). The only "Disney cheap" I would be worried about would be will the the new animated show still have the sense of scope and expansiveness filmmaking that TCW has adapted in it's last 2 seasons, where it's certainly taken a quality jump in style over when it started.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  13. DARTH_small_paw

DARTH_small_paw Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    It would be neat to get a series focusing on peripheral rebels like Wedge and Roque Squadron set after the Battle of Yavin but before Empire...

14. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    My $0.02 on this topic.

Right now, I can see the new animated series either encompassing the Dark Times or post-RotJ, at 50-50 odds. I highly doubt that they will cover the Old Republic era or any era thousands of years before the PT, as that would attract mostly gamers very familiar with this era as opposed to casual fans of the films. On the other hand, the Dark Times era and post-RotJ era can include plenty of characters familiar to the average SW fan.

It makes a lot of sense for the show to focus on the Dark Times, as this era hasn't been covered as heavily in the EU as the Clone Wars and era during and after the OT. Plus, TCW segues nicely to this era with the added bonus of Disney being able to reuse old models from TCW to make the series cheaper to produce, as Gallandro mentioned earlier. You can follow the stories of characters that survive through this era like Vader and Boba Fett, as well as those who might also have made it to this period, such as Asajj Ventress, Aurra Sing, Cad Bane, Hondo Ohnaka, and even Ahsoka Tano. In fact, I can see a Dark Times series as the best means of bringing Ahsoka back in an audiovisual medium (I personally can't see her showing up in the ST).

On the other hand, Disney seems to be looking forward to the future of the saga past the OT period. I can thus see them focusing on stories told after the events of RotJ, and using this as a means to build further hype for the ST. Of course, given that the post-RotJ period has already been heavily covered in the EU (the New Republic, New Jedi Order, the Skywalker and Solo offspring, the Yuuzhan Vong Wars, etc.), LFA will have to be careful about avoiding contradictions or else steamroll much of the previously established canon (something TCW has already been guilty of). I suppose they could go further into the Legacy era, but I'm sure they will be looking to bring back the original trio of the OT in a post-RotJ show, so they can't go too far in the future, especially considering it's a likely precursor to the ST.

Whatever decision LFA makes with this series, I look forward to seeing what the future has in store.

QuangoFett, TreborSabreon and Seerow like this.
  15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Circular_Logic

Given what we have to go on as of right now, that sounds just about right to me.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Yes but do I need to remind you, that you were also the one saying TCW wasn't going to be cancelled etc :p

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    While the whole Dark times gap is a huge goldmine for stories not least the rise of Darth Vader and the start of the Rebellion, I am guessing that it's more likely the show will be set post RTJ leading in to the ST, which will be tying into there films and products. There is a gap their and I doubt Disney will care at all about treading on EU toes, and it will tie into there films.

Besides I have read most of those EU books. Many (exceptions aside) are not very good, the plots are pretty much the same, evil Imperial Warlord (even a Cloned Emperor) with a Super weapon etc, and there is no character development, so it's almost like Walker Texas Ranger in Space.
    Somone bought up Rogue Squadron books. They were the biggest bunch of Cyphers you ever had and if people thought Ahsoka was a Mary Sue wait till they met Corran Horn :rolleyes:

18. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Speaking of Ahsoka, I really hope any TV series featuring the further adventures of Luke and Han isn't going to have Leia play second fiddle to a new female lead. Even in the EU it sometimes feels like some authors try to push Mara Jade as being the female lead over Leia.

19. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Actually I never said it wasn't going to be canceled, all I said was given the fact the show was doing well in ratings, and Season 6 was virtually done it made sense for Disney to find a home for the show. I was fairly confident Disney would make a smart business decision as there was little financial investment needed and they could easily recoup what little costs there were either by moving the show to one of the Disney owned networks or negotiating with Cartoon Network to keep the show.

Yancy

QuangoFett likes this.
  20. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I see three options:

1. Between Ep 6 and 7 which is useful let's them state what is in contuity and what is not also they Get to use the Big 3, droids, chewie, lando, wedge and ackbar. Maybe some kids depending on where.

2. Between 3 and 4 featuring Tano, Lux, Saw, Bo katan, And Bail with maybe Asajj thown in starting the rebel alliance. Also Rex assuming he lives and does not go Evil. No more starkiller bs. Plus u can still use Vader, Palps and the Empire as main antagonists. Maybe have split focus between Vader and Ashoka in this Dark times series. Plus it's a natural follow up to Clone Wars.

3. KOTOR but that seems way off

21. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Set it 1000 years POST ROTJ.

Use animation similar to Biowares TOR cutscenes.

Have 10-12 50 minute episodes per season.

Go upto 9 seasons and then kill it. :D

22. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    The comment that it "takes place in an era none of the movies have done before" sounded like it was just talking about the PT and OT.

The new series (like I'm guessing for the ST) will probably be about the old gang's kids, mainly Luke's.

23. queequegg

queequegg Jedi Padawan

May 31, 2010
    I do hope that they do something in between 3 and 4. Granted, I haven't read any of the EU about what happens after ROTS, but I would love to see the physiological effects on the remaining clones and the few remaining Jedi during the Jedi Purge. I would love to see a young Han Solo, and personally, some more of Ahsoka and Ventress.

I love Ventress, she's prob my favorite character, and if they can't resolve her story during the last stories of the Clone Wars, it would be great to wrap up then, or what she does after Obi Wan spares her (comic book). There has been some closure for Ahsoka, I don't know how I feel about her coming back to the Clone Wars wrap up party, maybe the last episode, but I wouldn't mind a bit more in the future after ROTS. I can see her potentially organizing a rebel alliance.

24. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Between episodes 3 and 4 seems like the best option, because they can just reuse a lot of the characters from TCW if they survive, like Ahsoka, Ventress, Rex, Cad Bane, Embo, Bo-Katan and Maul, then it'd just be like a continuation of TCW and it'd be like the show never ended, but instead just had a reboot. Of course the main storyline would be about the uprising of the Empire and the Rebel Alliance, which would be cool. We could see Darth Vader in some cool fight scenes, and maybe even the Emperor. Boba Fett could play a main role in this series and show how exactly he came to become the greatest Bounty Hunter in the galaxy.

Gallandro likes this.
  25. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    It is certainly a good way for Disney to make use of the franchise's 2 most iconic villains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darklordoftech and Gallandro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.