main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming NEW CHALLENGERS APPROACHING: Super Smash Bros. [Ultimate]

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I've really got to get around to playing Fire Emblem soon. However, really happy to hear Captain Falcon is still in this, its always fun to hear "Falcon... PUNCH!"

2. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I was hoping they would do away with clones in this game, but I guess not.

It certainly crushes my hopes for a revamped Ganondorf.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Woo! Captain Falcon! [face_dancing] Those Fire Emblem characters look cool. This Smash game might have the highest density of "human" characters yet. Palutena and Rosalina might be gods, but they look like humans. :p

Still no Jigglypuff, though. I am disappoint. [face_frustrated]

4. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    That hope was crushed a long time ago when Toon Link was brought back.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    IDK, there's already four Fire Emblem characters, plus a ton of Mario-verse characters, so I can see them adding another LoZ character. As long as they don't nerf him like in Brawl, I'll be happy.

That, and there's barely any villains on the roster so far. Bowser and Dedede are pretty much it.

Rew likes this.
  6. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Ness and Jigglypuff are the only ones from 64 that aren't confirmed. While I of course hope that both will come back just because of them being there from the very start, I think Ness has a higher chance.

Jigglypuff hasn't been relevant for ages.

7. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    I would love it if they announced Wario, Ganondorf and Meta Knight all at once. The first has been all but confirmed since Ashley is an assist trophy, Ganon is pretty much a shoe-in (and he was apparently playable at the Smash Fest demo), and I can't see Meta Knight getting the axe given his popularity and prominence.

8. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Didn't know about Ashley. Yeah, probably means Wario will return. And even if Ganondorf isn't included, Meta Knight almost certainly will be because, well, Sakurai. :p

And yeah, the only reason to include Ness would be his veteran status. Jigglypuff, however, is amazing, so they have to include her. :D

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Another awesome reveal that actual preceded the character announcements today: Rayman will be an assist trophy.

[​IMG]

Sakurai elaborated on Miiverse:

"In order to make Rayman’s trophy, we asked Ubisoft to share their references. We were expecting to receive 2D drawing references for Rayman, but to our surprise, they sent us data of a brand new 3D model that they rendered for this game!! And that was how this trophy was created. It takes a lot of work creating each model, so it’s wonderful that the creators contributed their own efforts!!"

10. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I remember seeing that news pop up last night, there was speculation that Rayman could have been announced for Smash, but then again probably not, as an announcement like Rayman would be much bigger than just a trailer. At the very least it'd be part of a Nintendo Direct or something.

Ganondorf hasn't been confirmed yet? With all the Zelda characters already confirmed (two Links and Zelda and Shiek as separate), I thought Ganondorf would show up again. Well, there's still time and he's likely to be announced eventually, just thought they would have confirmed his status by now. Meta Knight's a shoe-in given who is in charge of course. Nice to still have a few surprises, wonder how many more trailers we'll get before the release date.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, since the roster is the same across both versions, there can't be anymore announcements after the start of September since it hits Japan mid-Sept.

I'd say we have only 2 or 3 trailers left- one during an August Direct (as I would imagine Hyrule Warriors will be betting one) and maybe one tied to Comic-Con later this month. There could be room for a third stand-alone trailer like the CP/FE one we just got as well.

But I suspect any trailers from this point onward will be multi-character trailers (at least one new character and a vet) unless there's a huge new 3rd party character yet to be revealed who would warrant a stand-alone trailer.

I wouldn't worry about Gnaondorf yet- I don't think they've even confirmed him yet for Hyrule Warriors as playable.

12. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    And yet it's too expensive/time-consuming for Ubisoft to render female characters for Assassin's Creed. :p

(Sorry, I had to!)

13. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Then I'd expect the August direct to be a HW/Smash Direct.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm both excited for the next announcement and yet totally nonplussed because I'm like 95% sure I'm going to try to main Robin.

16. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    A Famitsu article on the latest characters have revealed that, while Lucina will have the same moveset as Marth, the key difference is that Lucina will do standard damage regardless of what part of her blade hits, while Marth's attacks done with the tip of his own blade will do maximum damage.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If his sword hits closer to the hilt, does he do less than standard damage? I'm trying to understand how Lucina would be useful at all if she's just like Marth minus the max sword tip bonus, but if she gets a better overall average when up close, it would balance out better...

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Marth is usually based around his damage being better at the tip of his sword than it is for the rest of his blade. Like, significantly better. Lucina is probably going to be like Roy where the damage is better away from the tip but has no bonus at the tip.

Also, the "fun fact" is that it usually doesn't balance out better - technical skill is the only limitation to Marth being better at dealing damage. Lucina will be easier for casual players (i.e. sane people) to use.

19. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    To add to that, some people who were at the E3 demo and tried Marth noticed a few things. Namely that he's not as fast as he was in Melee & Brawl, and the body of his blade is weaker, and the tip is stronger. While that "tip" factor has always been there, in 4, it's apparently much more prominent now.

So yeah it does sound Lucina is for those folks who want to have a much easier time. Or, as you put it, be less insane.

20. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Someone had a younger sibling try to name the Smash roster:

[​IMG]

Kirby is called "Ghost peach" from now on. that is all. ;)

I'm surprised Rosalina didn't become Elsa, but other than that... Pakistan is great and Blue Robot is hilariously accurate.

22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd say Princess Angel is the most apt one there. Though gotta love Martha and Martha's Sister. XD

23. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Poor Bowler, er, Bowser doesn't get any respect. [face_laugh] Zelda as Princess Peach 2 is also pretty funny. Not to mention Lucario as Blue Fox- wonder if that person actually knew who Fox was and based Lucario's "name" on that or just thought both were Fox people. And how come Shiek gets to be the ninja rather than Greninja? :p

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Looking forward to this game.

25. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012