main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming NEW CHALLENGERS APPROACHING: Super Smash Bros. [Ultimate]

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm going to try to main Robin because discarding weapons is an awesome and utterly suboptimal gimmick.

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I've been edging up the computer - I can handle level 6 fairly easily, but I'm determined to fight 8s. Link is easily my best character, but Mario's damn reliable. The one issue with Mario is his down-B has changed to using FLUDD, and like...I like Sunshine, but not that much :p The spin is at least a regular A attack now.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    My problem is, I don't really know how to do much of anything, so I have the unfortunate and unintended tendency to just spam Link's bow.

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Nice to get the public demo, seems to run very well on the 3DS. Just been playing around with Mega Man (still awesome to see so many Robot Master weapons used), trying to get used to using 3DS controls, not that I was ever all that good at console controls either. Just wish the screen wouldn't accidentally flip backwards a bit occasionally, but that's just a consequence of playing a fighting game on the handheld. Now to go back to my old favorite Mario.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I've used Link most in the demo, he has a good all-round style. Mega Man packs a punch but his shots often get absorbed by Link's shield & he's not as good against quick opponents.
    Villager is very fun to play, I like the sit-on rocket and the variety of weapons it seems to have.

Mario is OK, too much reliance on fireball I think. Pikachu seems weakest but maybe I haven't figured out the moves for him so well.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm totally referring to Villager as an "it" from now on. It's the only way to explain that creepy face.

7. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    So I can handle level 9 Mario, Link, Pikachu and Mega Man...but the Villager will not die.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Are you talking about 1-on-1?

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  9. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Yep. 1v1, Final Destination, no items. HE KEEPS FLOATING BACK.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    His balloon recovery is insane.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Tree attack FTW

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    The amount of love Villager is getting is staggering. It reminds me of Oshawott in Pokemon Gen V when its final evolution Samurott was revealed. It's as if people who mocked his/her inclusion as a total waste of space and "not belonging in a fighting game" are trying to make up for it by turning Villager into a meme.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    "Villager is terrifying and going to kill us" started the day he was announced. The dead, remorseless eyes in the trailer were all the motivation people needed.

Penguinator and The2ndQuest like this.
  16. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm disappointed at the lack of Ridley and King K. Rool, (and some other F-Zero characters like Samurai Goroh) but I'm really looking forward to Mega Man and a good Sonic!

17. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Well, Smash for 3DS is upon us. Those of you who have it, how are you enjoying it so far? :)

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Haven't had a chance to play it much but the ability to customize the controls did help ability to instinctually jump once again considerably.

And I also got my Smashfest gold coin (only 99 more to go! ;)).

[​IMG]

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Really great fun, tough it'll take me a bit to adjust to some of Mario's reassigned attacks. Still working my way up to fighting the Hands, I haven't been this enthusiastic about a fighting game in years. I already dabbled with Mega Man in the demo, he's going to take a lot of getting used to though.

Though the camera does get annoying, but its always been like that, just that its the first time its been on handheld of course.

20. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I really miss the Mario Tornado attack. My two go-to characters so far have been Robin and Lucina, I'm not so great with Lucina but I'm getting better, and Robin is epic if you don't overuse the B attacks.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Found this to be an interesting read on the new "Vectoring" mechanic that replaces Directional Influence and affects the effectiveness of lighter combos and other elements of the game.

The short of it is this: instead of just being able to influence the angle of your aerial trajectory after being hit by a vertical smash attack, you can now influence the distance you will travel along that trajectory.

This image from the user that discovered this mechanic illustrates a theoretical example:

If no stick input during a vertical smash attack normally sends you a distance of 100 units, holding down will reduce it by 20, only sending you 80 units. If you hold up, it'll increase by 20 and send you 120. And if you angle it, you still go the same distance.

[​IMG]

Draconarius likes this.
  22. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Have to say that the Brawl roster was MUCH better.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    How so? There's only like 2 or 3 notable omissions- Snake, Wolf and Ice Climbers.

24. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Lucas and Squirtle/Ivysaur/Pokemon Trainer were also removed. It seems like the rest of the Brawl cast is still in though. It is a better roster this time around IMO, but I am going to miss Snake.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Lucas was a Ness clone so his omission doesn't really take much away. Pokemon Trainer is effectively replaced by Charizard- and, indirectly, the rotate-roster/mode nature if the character can now be found in a couple other characters like the Xenoblade character.

That's why I narrowed my list to the other three- Snake is the main loss (but, again, we see facets of his move set in other characters), Wolf (a clone, but arguably the most notable clone) and Ice Climbers (who were left out fir tech reasons).

Because, yeah, this game is basically the same roster as Brawl with several unique and interesting additions.

Unrelated, got to use Advance Wars tank assist trophy- that was a pleasant surprise.