main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming NEW CHALLENGERS APPROACHING: Super Smash Bros. [Ultimate]

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    So with the news, as mentioned in the other topic, that Smash is announced for November 21, I've just got to start saving up for the bundle, I've lost track of my old controller so I don't mind a Smash controller. Just hope there aren't any more delays, looking forward to playing it over the holidays.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Smash + adaptor (don't need the controller but if it has a longer cord than standard it'd be worth having around) + 2 waves of Amiibos + hell, Im gonna get Watch Dogs anyways = sad Q wallet

3. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Wait a second, isn't November 21 the release date of Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire too? ...oh dear, my wallet is going to die that day (and that's not even counting some of the other games out that month). Well, that is the last Friday before Black Friday so guess Nintendo will want some of the biggest games out before the holiday rush. Hm, guess Pokemon will take a lower priority than the Smash bundle, though doubt either will get any discount anytime soon.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This also means that the GCN controller & adaptor is being released only 3 days after the 13th anniversary of the original GCN release date.

Man, what a controller.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  5. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Still my favourite controller after all those years. Another perk, the GCN controller will work on other games that support the Wii Pro Classic controllers options… like Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, etc.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Most importantly: Wii Mode. Which means the Wii is officially obsolete and can be replaced by a GCN/U combo

7. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, unless you want to play some GCN games, I don't think they kept backwards compatibility that far, but most people don't have games from that far back they still want to play. Although you never know when they'll start adding GCN games to Virtual Console (though unlikely).

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, that's why I said a GCN/U combo renders a Wii obsolete. Throw in the GBA player for added bonus- either way you still have one less system to keep out.

Although with the advent if these controllers, I wouldn't be surprised to see GCN VC next year. Or at least a Mario Sunshine HD port (crosses fingers).

9. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Fascinating...

10. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

Brawl roster didn't have Mega Man, Shulk, or the Koopalings.

Your argument is invalid. :p

11. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Mega Man is a great, great character that I am very excited for.

This one is big... should've bought a Wii U.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Charizard I use a lot, he's very effective so long as you don't Flare Blitz yourself off the stages all the time.
    Bowser is good too, and I use Little Mac a lot.

Mega Man has the best Super Smash, he's a great addition to the series

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So I've been slowly making way through offline matches to unlock everyone before I tackle the other modes (ok, I did try the homerun mode and the target smash angry birds thing, but those are still a pain in the ass to do because it's not very intuitive how you're actually supposed to send the bomb flying...). Not a lot of free time but I can still squeeze in a few matches during my breaks at work. I just unlocked Duck Hunt. Haven't really played as everyone yet- been trying to work my way through the roster in order for a few matches each to try and get an initial handle on them and to see who I like this time around. I'm about halfway through at this point I think

So, here's my rundown so far:
    -Mario/Luigi: Mario is a solid stand by. I prefer his stronger uppercuts to Luigi's torpedo headbutt. But just a solid balance overall.
    -Peach: Probably the biggest surprise for me. I didn't win as often with her, but I found myself really enjoying her air game which I was not expecting. Still gotta master how to use the Toad shield better.
    -Bowser: Love his power, can do some great damage with him.
    -Yoshi: Not my best character, and that egg roll will kill me more often than it does damage to other people.
    -Wario: Interesting power. Not bad, but while I could use him decently, I didn't feel like he fully clicked with me.
    -Mr Game & Watch: Deceptively powerful but, again, doesn't click with me.
    -Donkey Kong: Good power, not my best, but can do some damage.
    -Diddy Kong: Love this little guy. He's kinda my go-to guy if I have trouble defeating a new challenger with someone else. You can pretty much Double Dragon kick back and forth to dominate a platform.
    -Link: As much as I'd love to be a Link player, he does require a lot more technical attention, but his sword smashes are still pretty effective regardless.
    -Toon Link: Death from above downward sword strikes is the name of the game.
    -Zelda: Some interesting tricks (Din's Fire in particular), decent juggling abilities.Gotta be a little strategic.Gotta learn how to use the Phantom better,
    -Sheik: Stronger juggling abilities and downward kick strikes. Can hold her own pretty well.
    -Ganondorf: Too heavy for my tastes. Got some kick but so many charge attacks.
    -Samus: Lots of stuff like Link, but someone more natural to me. Definitely good for ranged attack options.
    -Zero Suit Samus: Great juggling abilities, really killer up smash, love the whip. Great for in-close fighting
    -Pit: Plays much better than his Brawl version, IMO. Great recovery, Strong side smashes, really powerful Final Smash.
    -Palutena: Takes some getting used to, but the heavenly light and laser staff attacks have some bite if you can pull them off more than once.I imagine the reflect ability would be useful against skilled opponents as well.
    -Little Mac: The god of the ground.
    -Mega Man: Still my best character. Elec Man juggling, Air Man tornadoes and slides. His buster shots are kinda weak and susceptible to barious anti-projectile opponent abilities but you don't really need to rely on it at all.

But, I'm no master player, just my first impressions so far. As of this half of the roster, I'm sticking to Mega Man, Mario, Diddy, Bowser and Zero Suit, but Peach has my interest now too.

14. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Ganondorf is my favorite, especially after getting some items to boost his attack and defense. Granted he moves like he hasn't slept in a month but the dash and jumping attacks counter that.

I also bought a copy for my wife as an anniversary present. How romantic, kicking *** together!

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "We're seeing that romantic comedy, right?"
    "No, we're seeing Splosioninator 2: Tactical Revenge."
    "No, we're not."

("SETTLE IT IN SMASH!!!")

(though you should totally listen to your wife and see Splosioninator ;) )

16. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Do I spend the $40 on the game, though?

I mean, it's only $40...but that's like twenty coffees...

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If you carry your 3DS on you a lot, it's quite handy to be able to fit in a couple matches during a break at work, school or while waiting in line somewhere.

Plus it's a full Smash game with a ton of characters and a bunch of secondary modes so you're certainly getting your money's worth out of content too.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A Smash U Nintendo Direct will be broadcasting Thursday and promises 50 new things we didn't know about the game.

19. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Got the game yesterday. Haven't tried all of the characters yet but from the ones I have tried, I'm good with Bowser, Pac Man, Yoshi and Luigi.

20. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I've spent the first couple weeks focusing on the characters I was looking forward to (Lucy, Robin, Charizard) and my old mains (Pikachu, Toon Link) and second-stringers (Ike, Link).

Lucina - My favourite character so far. Light and agile, but with plenty of power and trading in the tipper makes her more forgiving compared to Marth. Really wish they'd at least changed an animation or two to make her at least look different, especially on the Final Smash.
    Robin - My second-favourite character so far. I was worried about the durability system being a huge problem, but in practice you barely notice. Most of the items recharge in 6-10 seconds (except Nosferatu, which takes freaking forever) so you can use them freely and not really have to worry about it. Plus the moves are all fairly powerful to compensate. Really fun to play.
    Pikachu - Has both improved, and gotten worse from Brawl. He has lost a lot of his landing lag on the aerials, making short-jumps much safer and allowing lightning-fast (pun intended) strings into his tilts. The weird hitbox on the forward smash has also been fixed. But he still lacks KO power and that new lightning bolt is taking some getting used to.
    Toon Link - Has actually picked up some landing lag on his forward aerial, and his projectiles have been weakened (the refire rate on the arrow is much slower, as is the boomerang animation) but his short-jump standard and back aerial are still strong.
    Link - Like Pikachu, has both gotten better and worse. Having meteor ability with his down air is awesome, and it feels like he's finally picked up some KO power on the smash attacks. But the nerf to projectiles has hurt him a lot, and the Swordspin still isn't powerful enough for how vulnerable it leaves you and remains a fairly poor recovery. Still not great, but I play him regardless.
    Ike - Has gotten so much worse. His moves have gotten very little increase in speed, in fact some (Quick Draw, for example) have gotten slower, and in this faster-paced game he just can't cut it. He constantly gets dodged or interrupted and just generally slaughtered.

21. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002

For those that missed the direct…
    up to 8 player matches, more dynamic stages and so forth

22. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Yeah, eight players on the Wii U version. That's gonna be awesomely insane.

Also...Mewtwo for DLC if you get both versions. Not sure how to feel about that TBH.

23. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    We'll find out closer to 2nd Quarter next year more details. Might be free for those that have both but a small cost to those that only have one?

24. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Yeah, those are the reports I'm hearing: promotion that'll give it free if you have both, but will be individually priced separately later on.

In the meantime, enjoy a bunch of whiners over the web saying that Nintendo is run by communists.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, they'll probably handle it somewhat analogously to the way Atlus handles their launch day DLC - free for a bit if you have both, charged for everyone else. From a purely cynical marketing standpoint it's a pretty clever maneuver.