main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming NEW CHALLENGERS APPROACHING: Super Smash Bros. [Ultimate]

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, that is one insane recovery.

I still remember the original roster, probably because I had the most time with the original Smash Bros (by the time the sequels came out, didn't have quite as much time for fighting games as I used to). Though I don't remember how many clones there were, or if everybody was somewhat unique (Mario and Luigi aside).

Like the roster, glad to see R.O.B. and Game & Watch are still there. Oh, can't wait until we finally get the 3DS versions too. Somewhat tempted by the Smash 3DS too, but probably won't get that.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So I watched a good chunk of the Treehouse Live feed today (I couldn't watch all 5 hours of Smash after the 3 hours of other games beforehand) but it was informative. The sheer number of character customization options is ridiculous, as well as the numerous modes.

Sadly, I wasn't one of the Club Nintendo Platinum members chosen to get a set of Smash Demo download codes- but, thankfully, a friend of mine was and got one from him. [face_dancing]

Was happy to get this one since it apparently has unlimited plays whereas the public demo being released next week will be finite.

Haven't had a chance to play yet (need to finish an essay rough draft first... grrr...), but should be able to get some rounds in before bed tonight.

Also, it's been revealed that you'll be able to use a 3DS as a Wii U controller for Smash if you have the 3DS Smash game- and that this will be used to transfer custom characters between games as well.

Finally, it was reported elsewhere that the Miiverse functions of Smash 3DS will only work with the N3DS. :( :confused:

3. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I was fortunate enough to get the code from a nice fellow on Deviantart. I couldn't believe my luck; his offer had somehow gone unclaimed for half an hour before I showed up. :cool:

According to IGN, posting screenshots and stuff to Miiverse is still possible, just not while playing the game at the same time.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The demo is fun, even with just the 5 characters (though the circle pad with this game will probably give my thumb it's first gaming blister since Turtles II on the NES...). That said, it's going to take some time for me to adjust to using a non-GCN controller as I've had a lot of trouble jumping in the game (thankfully Mega Man is better when he's not jumping around a lot)- but I believe the full game is supposed to have customizable controls, so i think shifting the jump buttons to X and A instead of Y and X will help that issue considerably.

I also really need to figure out how to unleash a Final Smash in this control scheme- I had Mega Man's ready to go and couldn't figure it out, mashed a whole bunch of buttons and it fired off the stage not hitting anymore so it didn't trigger :(. I did manage to figure out how to pick up items, at least- but that took some trial and error also.

5. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I wish I had one of the demo codes, but oh well, the public demo will be in a bit and the game itself will be out soon enough. Every Platinum member getting a demo code would have been a better reward than the random digital awards they had this year for Club Nintendo.

There's a rumor and supposed picture of some store saying 11/21 for the Wii U version. Nintendo has said they're aiming for this holiday and that would make it in time for Black Friday, but we'll see.

6. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    Mega Man is at a ridiculous disadvantage while fighting Link, thanks to his projectile-blocking shield. Half of his attacks are negated, and Link didn't even take damage from a gooey bomb that exploded on his face. [face_plain]

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've been relying on Mega Man's non-projectile attacks- his slide and elecman up attack attack in particular combine well in close quarters.

8. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    Which characters are you guys planning on using the most? Me, I'll be sticking to the tried-and-true 'Dorf for the majority of my play time, but Mega Man is definitely someone I'll be using frequently as well. Depending on how much I enjoy their playstyles, I'm also considering using Lucina, Zero Suit Samus, and Ike as well.

9. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I am almost entirely sure that Robin and Lucina will become my new mains, though Pikachu and Toon Link will still be up there.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I usually main Mario, ROB and King Dedede. I do want to add Mega Man and Duck Hunt Dog to the list. But with the customization options, I'm tempted to take an unexpected character like Peach and apply her stats in an unexpected way- the way the Treehouse was demoing a tank Samus with her shotgun blast and super missiles definitely intrigued me as to what could be done with the other characters.

11. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    From the very beginning, Pikachu was my main so I'll be sticking with him. But I'm open to using any character really, and I can't wait to get my hands on the new characters, particularly Mega-Man, Pac-Man, Villager, and Duck Hunt.

12. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Lucario, Mario, and Ness will be getting a lot of playtime by me from the veterans. I'll probably also try out the Villager, Lucina and Dark Pit, among others depending how they end up holding together.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I liked Lucario a lot in Brawl so I'll probably use him a bit but not as a main.

Pikachu has always been the easiest to cheap-spam with his lightning strike so I make an effort to avoid using him too much.

14. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I'll definitely train myself to use Megaman, I'll probably still use Mario, maybe Greninja, not sure who else I'll focus on.

15. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Haha, I definitely spammed Mario's fireball B attack in the original a LOT. Quick, easy ranged damage.

Looking back, I wonder how I unlocked Captain Falcon (unlockable if you proceed through the game in 20 minutes) :p

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, I give up- what button(s) do you do hit to fire a Final Smash once you get the Smash Ball?

17. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    B, just like in the last game. :p

18. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    That was always the bane of my existence playing Toon Link. "Okay, need to close in to get my Triforce Slash in. I'll just open with an arrow to cover my approach--sonuva!"

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    See, I tried that but didn't find success. I must have been holding a direction down.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Some info on why no Ice Climbers, different release dates, etc:

- Ice Climbers were running in the Wii U version
    - due to the required hardware power, the team couldn’t make them work in the 3DS game
    - with Ice Climbers unlikely to have another installment in their franchise, high priority wasn't given to them
    - Wii U/3DS versions having different release dates is due to debugging
    - if both games shared the same release date, the titles could have slipped to 2015
    - Akihiro Toda, who was behind the texts in the Mother series, wrote the trophy descriptions

21. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Just got the demo - gonna be playing as Mega Man a lot!

Rew and The2ndQuest like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've been focusing on him as well, inching my way up the CPU levels. I think I've peaked around Level 6 CPU- I can still beat them sometimes, but not often.

Also, I've found that if I switch the level to it's Final Destination mode, I have a lot less success without the platforms to take advantage of Mega Man's various vertical attacks which tend to be my main focus.

23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have never played SSB enough to ever have a main character, which is why I primarily use Link, even though I am not really effective with him.

24. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    In the (many) years I've been playing Smash, I always found Link to suit me really well. Toon Link might be one of my favourites, too, but Mega Man is probably gonna be a big one for me once the full game is out.

I'm really looking forward to playing Little Mac. The sort of hit hard, hit fast characters really appeal to me.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Link is probably the easiest person to use to get back onto the the platform if you get knocked off.