main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion New character intro'd in TFA for purpose of spin off?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Rodie, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Do you think Lucasfilm will introduce a character in TFA or Ep8 or 9 with the main purpose of spinning that character off into his/her own series? Like, someone who is in 2-3 scenes but not much of the movie?

I'm wondering how well a "James Bond in space" type character might do in Disney's GFFA. A secret agent involved in espionage against the Empire or something. Could give him a cameo in one of the ST films, and eventually even have multiple actors play him, like Bond, and keep the series going indefinitely. . .

2. Leias Library

Leias Library Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2014
    I don't think we'll see a spin off focusing on any of the new characters, at least not any of the 3 spin offs that are planned as for now. Maybe after Ep9.
    On the other hand, I think Ep7 will focus a lot on bridging over from the old to the new and with that in mind it may be possible that one of the spin offs includes some kind of story featuring some (one?) of the new characters to give us some more background to him/her/them.

3. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Think more in terms of a her, instead of a him.

Leias Library likes this.
  4. frozenheart

frozenheart Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2015
    I
    i think they will fill the next 3 episodes with characters in small roles with the hope that one or more will prove popular enough to have their own film. weirdly enough before the teaser was released i thought maybe Oscar issac's character would be one of these small roles. i read that one of the spin-off's would be called red five. i thought he would have a sort of wedge Antilles role. small but important in the episodes and then spin off with his own standalone feature. it could still happen of course

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Most probably what will happen is that although the new characters are probably meant for just the VII-IX, one could get their own spin off if the fans reacted to him/her, similar to in the MCU when Loki was given more focus in Thor: Dark World because he was so popular

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It could happen but I doubt it.

7. One-Eyed Gran

One-Eyed Gran Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 13, 2014
    I hope not; this would set a precedent for a "Marvel-like" trend amid the Star Wars films, which would be totally bad news to me.

I think the appeal of self-referential, post-modern, "ultra-connected" filmmaking is totally overrated.

8. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    They already said they're following the Marvel model.

9. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I can't see why they wouldn't make a spin-off of 7-9 characters, either planned or because of demand. The question isn't if they will, the question is if they'll have a good enough reason to story wise.

10. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I don't think it's planned, but sometimes a side-character becomes unexpectedly popular and if that happens, i wouldn't doubt it.

11. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Just look at Coulson, and Carter from the MCU

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Boba Fett much.

13. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Fett was heavily marketed (for the time) right before ESB came out, and was initially intended to have a larger role in ROTJ (though he still would have died). So not exactly unexpected. Though perhaps to the degree in which his popularity has risen, yes.

14. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    I think spinning off TFA characters makes a lot more sense than the other ideas I've heard. Especially those with only tiny appearances.

Granted, it's a little risky. But then again so are prequel origin stories and re-using designs from 30+ years ago. Anybody capable of making a good Star Wars film should be capable of designing and developing their own interesting characters too. And to have them in the same timeline opens up a lot of possibilities and uncertainty.

15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I've said more than once that I'd like to see some mirroring of the EU in the new canon, insofar as we learn in TFA that Luke has a wife and son.

The son could play an important role in the next-gen ST ensemble of 'good guy' (I'm guessing) heroes, while the wife (if she does wind up limited to a smaller role in the ST, or is even out of the picture by then) could have a film or series which features her as protagonist and sets her up as a major character, fills us in on her her back story, etc.

No idea whatsoever if this is anywhere near what Lucasfilm has in mind, but I think it just writes itself. It could be awesome.

starocean90 likes this.
  16. facebook

facebook Jedi Knight

Oct 16, 2012
    Do tell. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.