main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NEW Classic Trilogy Movie Novelizations! (speculation)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Boba Frett, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacenskylo

jacenskylo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2006
    I actually asked Sue Rustoni on the official sites boards, and she said their are no plans to write new novelizations of the original trilogy.

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Try these:

Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina (SW)
    Tales of the Bounty Hunters (ESB)
    Tales from Jabba's Palace (RotJ)

Wait, nevermind. Those stories follow characters who are actually included in the original story. ;) I kid, though. I love I, Jedi.

Wait a minute...

Potential New Book/OT = I, Jedi/JAT
    I, Jedi --> Corran Horn
    Corran Horn --> Rogue Squadron
    Rogue Squadron --> Wedge Antilles
    Wedge Antilles --> THERE SHOULD BE A SINGLE NOVEL (ala I, Jedi) TELLING THE STORY OF THE OT THROUGH WEDGE'S EYES.

3. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    I would love to see this. Personally I feel that the current movie novelizations just don't stand up to great works such as LOE or the ROTS novel. It would be great if it fit more within the continuity of the literauture and had more connections to the now larger EU. I understand why they were written that way at that point, but today there is so much more room for more. So, authors out there please give us more!

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You know, that wouldn't be half bad.:cool:

5. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    Yeah, another's POV could be good.

What about Leia's perspective? I'd love to see a story detailing the time just previous to ANH.

6. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    Star Wars: The Courtship of Lord Tion? :confused: ;)

7. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    So if I get this right, folks want a book that deals with the POV from a character whom wasn't even mentioned in the movies, and we'll learn that said character was responsible for everything that happened in the movies?

Would be interesting, I suppose.

8. Wolfhawk85

Wolfhawk85 Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2005
    Hello, first time poster.

I think having another POV would be a cool thing if it was done right. Maybe use Han's POV, we could exactly see what was going through his mind when he first met Luke and Obi-Wan, meeting Leia, and his decisions to first leave Luke and Leia and then to turn around, face quite possibly certain death, and helped turn the tide of the battle. Then there's Leia's perspective to consider. I think that seeing her feelings while watching men she knew facing impossible odds to buy her time to either hide/transmit plans to a weapon that would bring unspeakable terror or escape with them (my interpretation of that battle anyway, finding the strength to endure Vader's torture, watching your home destroyed with a key scene of her dealing with her grief and not having a complete breakdown would be very impressive. I think the ultimate viewpoint though would be that of a simple astromech droid. Since Artoo knows the whole story, it would be awesome to see his thoughts as he meets Obi-wan after so many years and flying with Luke and comparing his flying style with his father are just some of the things we could see. And all of these viewpoints are just from ANH. I believe that if the OT novels are rewritten, Stover's style in ROTS would be perfect. This is Luke Skywalker, This is Han Solo, This is Darth Vader, etc. By focusing each chapter and scene with a single character's viewpoint would help bring thier actions and motivations to even greater clarity and focus. I would love to hear what others think about this. If I'm way off base, please let me know. If so, I apologize and will try to improve. Thanks.

9. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Hmmm, I like the idea of ANH through Han Solos point of view. It fits really well if you're reading in order. We have a lot of Han Solo books leading into ANH, why not just continue it? I still think Luceno would be best for it, only because this brave new world needs to be described.

I'm totally against the idea of 1st person POV though, it just wouldn't feel right. Plus I didn't like I,Jedi.

10. Wolfhawk85

Oct 10, 2005
    I agree with you. I love Luceno for his attention to detail, but I think either Troy Denning or Karen Traviss should write the novels. Their in depth characterizations and ability to make the reader think about the story make them my two favorite SW authors, and I have read them all from Zhan and Heir to the Empireway back in '91 to the Swarm War. But having Luceno do them would also be really good as well.

11. DarthDubya05

DarthDubya05 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2005
    well, if you think about it, if it wasn't for the ANH Novel, a lot of people wouldn't have bothered to see the movie. now i'm not saying that the Novelization is Shakesspeare or anything, i'm just saying that at that time, it was a work of art.

12. Boba Frett

Oct 21, 1999
    Well, sure, it's an okay book, but it's distracting in that its style is so different from what came later. The point isn't that the OT books are bad, it's just that there's this "full-circle hunger" that people are experiencing now, and here we are at the point where we want to re-experience the new books in a style consistant with what has been offered recently.

And welcome, Wolfhawk85! TFN is a massive timesuck...

13. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    Not a bad choice for a first post, there, Wolfhawk85! I agree completely... I think that style could do wonders for an ANH novelization.

14. Wolfhawk85

Oct 10, 2005
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I've actually been reading these boards for about a year now, but I was too afraid to join. But now I'm glad I did.

And you're right Boba Frett, the boards really do suck up a lot of time.

15. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005

And that time has passed. Let us move on into a brighter future for a galaxy far, far away!

16. Wolfhawk85

Oct 10, 2005
    Hear hear!

17. Xal

Xal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2006
    Excuse me everyone, but I, too, would like to see these "NEW" novelizations. They would seem much, MUCH better.

18. Boba Frett

Oct 21, 1999
    Back into the fray!

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  20. Ataro_Soresu

Ataro_Soresu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2006
    Oh yes, let's call it....the Star Wars Trilogy Novelizations: Special Edition!

I don't like this idea. We have some great new authors for the EU, but, IMO, they really should stay there. If it ain't broke...

The novelizations aren't your typical movie novelizations....they're very in depth, and I like their style. (And, yes, the ROTJ novel is my favorite.) Strike out the line that says Owen is Obi-Wan's brother, and you have 0 continuity problems. Great stories, great authors...hey, the authors of today are great, but I don't worship them as literary gods.

That said, see my post in Havac's Trilogy-by-point-of-view thread.

I would be in favor of new I, Jedi type books looking at the Trilogy from someone else's POV. How about, I, Sullustan Pilot?

21. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    HELLO THERE,

I would like to see them rewritten inlight of the Pre-quel trilogy. I also agree with the choices of authors, to do so.
    Now if (for once) they would only listen to us. [face_praying]

THE PIED PIPER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.