main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New clues re: Rey's secret past?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HeroOfCanton75, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowan_greenleaf

rowan_greenleaf Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015

I fully agree with this, with an added layer: if Kylo left her there, at the time she probably knew him as Ben Solo. In that sense, Maz is right: Ben Solo is never going to come back for her in Jakku, because Kylo Ren "destroyed him." Sort of like Obi-Wan telling Luke "Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father."

This explanation also satisfies why Rey was left in the care of someone like Unkar Plutt, under such horrid conditions. Alive, but neglected. I refuse to believe that Luke, Han, Leia or any of the "good guys" would have left her there like that. Either Kylo left her there and she's a Skywalker, or she is "no one"/everyman.

And if Kylo Ren did leave her there, then he would have had to "mind wipe" her or alter her memories in some way to make her believe that it was "her parents" who left her. If there's anyone competent enough in the use of the force for invasive mind tricks, it's Kylo Ren.

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Speaking of which, how was Luke's (and Anakin's) Bespin lightsaber found? Wiki says the gas giant has a solid core....someone retrieved it?

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The hand was alive with midiclorians and crawled its way out like Thing from Adam's family or Ash's evil hand.

rowan_greenleaf likes this.
  4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    This is canon. Confirmed by Pablo.

5. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I like you, zackm. :D

zackm likes this.
  6. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I am strong in the force.

*waves hand* - You will like this post.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  7. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I will like that post.

zackm likes this.
  8. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Maybe she's has both lineage within her Kenobi and Skywalker! Grand Daughter of Kenobi and Daughter of Skywalker. I go deeper into it within the lineage thread.Regardless, its very possible and yes it might be possible that both sides know of this incredible force wielder. Even though she hasn't been found. She did claim she's "Classified" after all.

9. HeroOfCanton75

HeroOfCanton75 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    see this is this thing. they teased us SO hard with this "classified" background. they specifically made her character have an "innate mastery" of the force. she MUST have done something cool in her life! and I don't want it to be the 5yr old Rey who was left on jakku to be the Rey who'd undergone training. there is NO REASON that jj can't have luke say "you thought you were left behind by your parents, forgotten by the world. but that was actually the start of your journey. we sensed your presence and bought your freedom from Urdnot Wrex (or whatever his name is) before the sith found you. you quickly became my favorite pupil. but this angered ben solo... jedi temple destroyed... placed you back on jakku, told you to wait until [something about the jedi temple]. but you never were a good listener. and here you are. let me remove the mind block we placed on you." *flashback* mind blown

edit: since there is obviously only one path for Rey that will satisfy me, I should just go make some fan fiction and create a mary sue rey to live out this fantasy. Maybe bioware will pick it up as the storyline for their next RPG

10. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I have a feeling the classified thing is part of the mind block that was put there. Also it might not even be a mind block Rey was so young she could have forgot or had trauma thus causing her to repress her memories.

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Maybe Luke thinks Rey, his daughter, is dead. And it's Kylo Ren, who couldn't bring himself to kill Rey, that hastily hid her on Jakku under the protection of a Force influenced Unkar Platt. Kylo Ren's first plan could have been to drop Rey off with Max Von Sydow's character. When that wasn't possible, he left Rey under the loose protection of Unkar, who he knew through Han. Maybe Kylo Ren even arranged for the Falcon to be there. Is that getting to be too much of a coincidence?

Why would Kylo Ren hide Rey? Was it because deep down he couldn't do it. Or is he hiding her away to be his apprentice sometime in the future?

12. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Luke would have sensed her death, much as Leia sensed Han's.

13. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The only reason I kind of suspect an Obi-Wan connection is because of her accent. I mean, the First Order are a bunch of Brits, but even John Boyega had to ditch his accent for an American one (and yeah, I get that the stormtroopers have generally had American accents). But if she was a Solo, you would think that Daisy would have been coached to speak with an American accent. And if she's a Skywalker, well I guess the fact that we know nothing of who the mother is would still allow that to be a possibility. But Obi-Wan did have the British accent. Though that raises the question as to when exactly did Obi-Wan even have a kid? He was a Jedi then a hermit out on Tatooine, watching over Luke. I think to catch up on all that needed backstory of him somehow having a child and grandchild and having no part in their life would just slow the narrative down.

Still, there would then be a strange/interesting parallel in Luke getting his lightsaber from Obi-Wan Kenobi. Losing that lightsaber on Bespin. Then having Obi-Wan's granddaughter show up with that same weapon and giving it to Luke.

Or Han being the one to tell her the Force exists, when Han was dismissive of Obi-Wan talking about the Force.

If she's Luke's kid, then it might explain why she seems a natural with the Force. Maybe she was trained for a bit at an early age and just doesn't remember. However, that does raise the question as why she was dropped off with Unkar Plutt. If she were Kenobi's granddaughter, this becomes less of an issue. Her parents could just be awful people that didn't want her and possibly feared her power (if she was displaying abilities), or whichever parent was descended from Obi-Wan might have a grudge against his/her neglect from his/her Jedi father, and so abandoned her and never looked back. This wouldn't really need much exposition. Her parents were just faceless people that didn't want her and are never coming back (as Maz said) and so aren't really important.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. JD1975

JD1975 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    I've been thinking about the idea of Luke sensing her death also. I wonder if she was sort of cut off from the force before her awakening. Could that have prevented Luke from sensing her? I don't think Vader knew who Luke was at the first death star - he makes a comment about the force being strong with this one but nothing about him being his son. It seems like he doesn't sense Luke is his son and only realizes it when he hears the name - I guess when Luke becomes well known after that mission. Vader also didn't realize Leia was his daughter until he probed Luke's mind in ROTJ. Now that I think about it he asks the Emperor if Padme is safe and alright after her death with the Emperor telling him that she is dead and he doesn't sense the twins alive. But yet we do see Leia was affected by Han's death. Not sure what to think on that.

15. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    She doesn't have to be a direct descendant of any Jedi, but could be the niece/great-niece of Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, etc. As Jedi didn't appear to have offspring (apart from Anakin) the order to used to recruit from to use a Harry Potter term "muggle" parents..

The most radical suggestion I've come across is that she's the re-incarnation of Anakin. Which gives the link to Luke and Leia, could explain the force knowledge and even the connection to the lightsabre.

16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

In the new canon (as shown in the comics), Vader and Luke encounter each other between ANH and ESB, and if I recall correctly, Vader sees that Luke has his old lightsaber, which is what raises his interest in Luke, and he hires Boba Fett to track down Luke. Boba Fett then tells Vader that the guys name is Skywalker. Vader realizes he has been lied to by the Emperor and that he has a son before Palpatine tells him in ESB. This is even proven in ESB itself when Vader takes one look at the shield generator on Hoth and says "that's it! The Rebels are there! [...] That is the system. And I'm sure Skywalker is with them!" He was playing ignorant when talking to the Emperor.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Not necessarily... Vader didn't even realize leia was his daughter despite being in the same room with her

7starlight likes this.
  18. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    That's because at the time of ANH, Leia wasn't his daughter. ;)

That said, Leia knew Han had survived the DSII blast, and knew he died in TFA, And Obi-wan sensed the deaths of the people on Alderaan.

19. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999

Its definitely a strong possibility that Kylo spared her and left her on Jakku. The problem with that is:

• He's looking for Luke and wants to destroy him. If he knew that was his daughter wouldn't he then go back and kidnap her and let Luke know via the Resistance that he has her daughter and they set a trap for him? Snoke could maybe even make Luke aware of that fact through the Force. Why the whole looking for Luke when they can just use her as bait?
    • Wouldn't Leia then sense that she is Luke's daughter through the Force? She didn't say anything.

20. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Bottom Line - if Rey isn't a skywalker then the entire lightsaber plot in TFA makes no sense. It's really not that complicated

only one kenobi and DarthBane93 like this.
  21. TR-8R Fan

TR-8R Fan Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2016
    My impression is that, for individual people, you can't necessarily sense them unless you're already aware of them. Like Vader couldn't sense Luke until the Emperor told him he was his son, etc. So if Luke didn't know he had a daughter, he wouldn't sense her, since she is just a person in a galaxy of billions and billions of others. I guess for large scale events (Alderaan) the massive amount of death means you can sense the disturbance in the Force.

22. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Good points. How do these sounds for answers? Maybe someone else can add to the.

• Kylo Ren doesn't want anything bad to happen to Rey. Maybe some of his conflict with the dark side is that he's protecting Rey and couldn't do what needed to be done - what Darth Vader would do. And yes Kylo Ren wants to confront Luke Skywalker but not if it means hurting Rey and he certainly doesn't want Snoke to get his hands on her. Similar to how angry Luke got when Darth Vader threatened to turn Leia to the dark side in Return of the Jedi.

• If Rey is a Skywalker - maybe Leia did sense it but though Luke should be the one to tell her. It seems like Leia senses something in Rey. Maybe it's the force is awaken or maybe it's her lost relative. How do we explain the emotional welcome Leia gave when Rey got off the Falcon? How did Rey know who Leia is to hug her? And why was Leia so warm to Rey? You'd think Leia would seek out Chewbacca and Finn first. Now Chewie was carrying Finn, but he quickly puts him down. Sure in a roundabout way Han Solo gave his life to save Rey. But the onscreen hug doesn't read like it's about that to me.

23. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

That's an interesting article. I think he's at least partially onto something. After reading it I think she definitely knows who she is, and her name probably isn't really "Rey". She said that bit to BB-8 about who she is being "classified" and it played as her being cute/smart aleck, but there's a good chance that wasn't really the case.

24. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999

Well those are possible answers for sure. :)

The only thing is if he was able to kill his father I don't see why he would bother to protect Rey then.

I still think its a bit weak that Leia didn't say anything at all. I think there should have been something shown in the movie she would be aware of Rey then. But yeah its odd she would just go hug Rey, a random stranger. I didn't like the scene to begin with as she ignores Chewie in the process.

Usually I think the most simple answer is the right one. She's either Luke's daughter that nobody knows about or she is just a random person.

25. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Like throwing her 50 feet up in the air and into a tree?
    Then why mention her existence to Snoke in TFA?

7starlight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.