main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT New concepts in the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DrDre, Jan 1, 2016.

1. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    First of all a Happy New Year to everybody! In this thread I would like to discuss new concepts introduced by the PT. What new ideas did the PT introduce, and how did they impact the OT, EU, and how could they influence the ST?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
  3. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    You can hear some PT music in this trailer for this SW game called KOTOR.

4. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    A new concept introduced in the PT were of course:

[​IMG]

Interestingly enough, I would say we didn't see the battle droids true potential until TCW, where they were definitely a force to be reckoned with...

5. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Too many to even start compiling a list.

6. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The balance of the Force was already mentioned in TFA.
    The clones - yes the Clone Wars was mentioned in ANH but we didn't know what it was about.
    The Sith - the idea is old, but not mentioned in the OT.

I think the balance of the Force might be addressed further and the rumors of Plagueis are interesting, too.

7. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Thanks for mentioning my beloved droids, and i agree. Episodes like rookies, the hidden enemy and kidnapped were great B1 battledroid moments.

Something that i highly enjoyed was in the comic shattered empire, some new imperial droids have bodies similar to the B1 battledroid. It was a nice touch.
    [​IMG]

8. The_God_Anubis

The_God_Anubis Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    The way the Jedi are portrayed.
    We knew a little bit of what Obi-Wan or Yoda told in the OT ...

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  9. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    How about this one. This certainly exceeded my expectations, after hearing it mentioned in the OT:

[​IMG]

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Wow. Where to begin? I'll touch on three main ones with a small description.

Midichlorians: Although a genetic or bloodline link is implied by Luke in ROTJ, Lucas made this very specific in Episode One. These are lifeforms that allow a person to hear the will of the Force more effectively. They are not the Force. They are conduits that channel the Force energy.

The Chosen One prophecy: This is the idea that there is a special person that is created by the Force at a special time. This is thought to be Anakin.

Balance of the Force: a yin and yang concept. The idea that an individual balances the light and dark within themselves. It also has a macro meaning: Sith unbalance the Force by their mere presence. No Sith =balance. That's because the Sith do not lead a balanced way.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Rule of Two. The Sith aren't an army of dark knights, but rather a single master-apprentice pair that concocts illuminati-style schemes.

12. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    glad to see your postive side here! so used to your "devils advocate" here on pt stuff

[​IMG]
    I found these staffs really interesting. glad to see it expanded on by "TRAITOR!(TR-8R)"

13. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    There are many aspects of the PT I very much appreciate. So, I think it is only fair, to not only criticise the things you don't like, but also praise the things you do like.

Those droids were a great design, and a loved they way they moved in a jarring, unpredictable way.

14. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes, if there is no one who dislikes parts is here, it would basically turn into an echo chamber, unless everyone went int the discussion with an academic mindset, and whats the fun in that?
    Further on the Magna Guards, I really hope we get an opportunity to see other assassin like droids like I-88 on screen to get even more unusual movement patterns and fighting styles to compete with. (maybe a Grievous Anthology)

15. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015

Yes, that was a really interesting twist. It also made perfect sense, since the Sith could only survive by staying out of sight, in a universe with 10,000 Jedi Knights, until Darth Sidious came into play of course... :p

16. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    I think Naboo is probably the most beautiful location we've seen in any of the Star Wars films:

[​IMG]

17. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Let's not forget about the introduction of a Jedi Council, and a Jedi Temple (and an example of great CGI):

[​IMG]

That's also one of the interesting open questions left by TFA. We've now seen to the first Jedi Temple. I wonder how that will play out in episode VIII?

18. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    Cool topic DrDre . The varied and different locations and world building was one of my favorite aspects about the PT, something I felt was missing in TFA. Anyways, those comics have amazing art. I really need to give those a look.

19. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    How many of you imagined what the Emperor's office looks like?

[​IMG]

20. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

Pod racing was a new concept

[​IMG]

And so was Otoh Gunga, better known as Gungan city

21. Tython Dawn

Tython Dawn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Also, the PT introduced the idea that the Force itself might have a sort of consciousness. In TPM we first hear Qui-Gon mention that the midichlorians tell us "the will of the Force", and that phrase (repeated a few more times if I recall correctly), plus the idea of Anakin being "conceived" by the midichlorians/the Force means that the Force is no longer just a mystical energy field as it was in the OT, but actually has consciousnesses or agency of its own.

Although in the Legends EU it was strongly implied that Sidious manipulated the Force to create Anakin, the point about "the will of the Force" still stands and is pretty significant in terms of how the whole concept of the Force shifted both in the films and EU.

ConservativeJedi321 and DrDre like this.
  22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I did imagine it and that wasn't it. :p

DrDre, some of the Jedi Temple shots were CG and some were miniatures.

ILM modelmakers and the miniature:

[​IMG]

23. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    That Jedi Temple model was used in The Phantom Menace and most probably for the two other prequels since it was too time consuming and too costly to build everything CGI for the different planets and locations. Small scale models were built, photographed and projected around the actors in post-production.

That picture is from The Old Republic video game film introduction from 2008 or 2009.

DrDre likes this.
  24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    It should be noted that the jedi temple miniature pic I posted: the model maker in the center of the picture is Tory Bellicci of Mythbusters fame.

25. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    The most beautiful ship in the galaxy.

[​IMG]