main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Disney/Lucasfilm Animated Movie: Strange Magic

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Sword_Of_Goliath, Jan 30, 2012.

1. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I feel that this movie may become another "lost" Lucasfilm movie, like Twice Upon Time. ILM did an excellent job on this film, and it's a shame that it wasn't released on Blu-Ray.

The film itself, like so many Lucasfilm projects, spent so many years in development, and it just had the misfortune of being released during a company transition. It's by no means a perfect film, but you can tell Lucas cared about it; it has his touch and the magic of Lucasfilm's ILM and Skywalker Sound.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Very accurate comparison.

3. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Did not know that this movie existed till now. I am currently watching some of it and man, is it incredibly funny. A lot of dry and visual humor within the film.

4. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I caught this on Disney Channel back in April when they aired it and loved it. I bought the DVD off Amazon right away. It seems it got a big push in sales and popularity when it aired on Disney, as it was in the top 100 movies on Amazon and Walmart.com. It's such a fun movie. Beautiful animation, great voice acting and singing, a familiar story with an unexpected ending... It's a shame the movie wasn't a big hit, as this would be a great franchise to explore. If Disney promoted it better I feel it could've did great numbers. I seriously think this has the best animation in any animated movie I've seen, topping Moana, which I thought looked gorgeous. Such detail in the environments and characters, it's such an eye-catching movie.

AniSkylover likes this.
  5. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Maybe if Laika did it and we got a Danny Elfman soundtrack....

6. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    I watch this almost every day since I saw it a few weeks ago on Disney. Money very well spent on the DVD. Shame there's no Blu-ray release...

7. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    No blu-ray but there is a digital HD release.

8. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    Yeah, I'm aware, but I prefer watching physical media, and I have the DVD, so...

9. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    As do I, almost exclusively. But this one never made it to Blu-ray, even though Space Buddies and Tinker Bell and the Legend of NeverBeast did. Because, ya know, Disney...

So I haven't seen it since theaters.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  11. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    It's on Disney+ US now...

Princess_Tina likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A note for UK folks who haven't seen this and want to - BBC One are showing it on Wed Dec 30 from 9AM-1030AM.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've seen this one a couple of times now. If you're in the mood for a rock opera acid trip Midsummer Night's Dream for children, it's entertaining.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I saw it on one of the movie channels here some time ago - it wasn't bad. Like you said - helps to be in the mood for it.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Upping this for UK folks as BBC2 will be showing Strange Magic on New Year's Day from 755-925 AM.

16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Just find it astounding that this film has never been released on Blu Ray. Even the DVD version out there doesn't look genuine. Really weird.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    GunganSlayer, KyleKartan and Sarge like this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    But it's on D+. Smells like the mouse is trying to get more people to subscribe if they want to see their cult classic.

18. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Rightly or wrongly it really didn't make much of a splash.