main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Droid - BB-8

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I thought so too, but I keep referring to BB-*as a "he" all the same. :)

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i think that would be cool.

3. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    I care because it means no BB-8/R2.

I was hoping for a cute droidmance that would possibly result in R2's addition back into the main cast. :(

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  4. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

I have a feeling that Threepio and Artoo will not feature a great deal at all in the ST. BB-8 seems to have been introduced as a lot more capable and mobile droid than the other two combined. In fact it would not surprise me if BB-8 could actually talk.

5. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    I'm a heretic but so be it: I want plenty of BB-8 in TFA with some R2/_Threepio interaction on top. Love the little rollerball.

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I'd be happy with lots of BB-8 and R2 and some 3PO.

7. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Poe needs a co-pilot. So, there ya go: R2 is back in the story....

8. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    [​IMG]

A droidmance? To each their own, I suppose, but what makes you think that Artoo is not in the main cast or needs such a thing to "get back in"?

9. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

And there is only one man to be the the voice ...

[​IMG]

10. Lurknomore

Mar 18, 2014

He needs something, because right now it's looking like he's been made entirely redundant.

11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

What makes you think Artoo is "redundant"?

12. Lurknomore

Mar 18, 2014

BB-8 has obviously been styled after R2.

[​IMG]

And is obviously the new "Hero Droid" of the ST. This, to me, indicates one of two things:

A) BB is "The New R2". They want to reproduce R2's success while creating an entirely new merchandizing opportunity. So they invented this character with all the things (the cuteness, the beeps, the personality) that make R2 so beloved.
    B) BB is R2's love interest. They're similar so that the audience can see them as a couple.

So far, we've heard no indication that BB and R2 are co-lead droids. And that disappoints me.

R2's not like Luke, Han, or Leia, characters who age and (understandably) must therefore eventually step back or perish. He's the perfect type of character to keep in the core group in perpetuity. But they've apparently decided not to do that.

Seems like Chewie's made the cut, though. Good for him.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  13. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Lurknomore

All astromech are visually similar to some degree and yes, it seems BB-8 is the new "hero droid".

However, this doesn't mean that he is replacing Artoo. It is possible, based on the fact that droids don't age (as you point out), that BB-8 was created with the intention that the droid duo becomes a trio - as well as being a companion to Rey, etc. and I think it is more than likely that Threepio and Artoo will continue on in the franchise after Luke and the others are gone.

What are you basing the speculation on? Have you heard something in particular? What makes you think Chewbacca is some how more secure?

And I don't think there will be many people thinking that there is a romantic relationship between the droids.

14. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    A menage-a-droid. Unprecedented in Star Wars, though you run the risk of an R rating in the U.S.

Master_Lok likes this.
  15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_laugh] AAAAHHHH! Mais non, non! Get that French Droid tryst word / image out of my head.

16. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    It seems BB-8 will communicate mostly with beeps and boops similar to R2, so "gender" is kind of a non-issue really. I was hoping BB-8 would be more advanced with a voice and that voice would be female—great opportunity for dialog and banter with 3PO too. Oh well. Maybe BB-8 also acts as a radio receiver of sorts so that people with a comm link can talk to anyone within earshot of BB-8, etc. That could be a cool twist, as if BB is like a wi-fi hotspot.

17. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I do think C-3PO and R2-D2 will have smaller roles in the ST than the OT and PT. Anthony Daniels is almost 70. Is he going to want to suit up or even do the voice of 3PO anymore after episode 9? He'd be close to 80 by the time other movies come out, and I don't see Disney recasting 3PO's voice when he'd be such a small appearance by Ep10 anyway. I think as Luke and Leia's roles decrease, it makes sense that their droids roles do as well and we get new ones. I'd love to see a new talking droid sidekick introduced in Eps 8 or 9.

18. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    How could you even tell?

19. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    BB-8 is amazing, IMO. He has the spirit of the OT Star Wars in spades, while being a completely new design. Has the potential to rival R2-D2 in popularity.

20. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Sorry if this has been discussed already. I like how mobile BB-8 is, but I have a hard time imagining him as an "astromech" droild. What's to keep that big ol sphere attached to the hull of a ship? That one, small point where it touches the hull? That's not much surface area.

Also, R2 units were designed to go into a slot on fighters. That ball would have a harder time getting into a slot. Certainly could be done, but it would be a bit harder.

21. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I can't wait to see what BB-8 can do. I know one thing for sure kids are going to love BB-8. When I showed my nieces and nephews the trailer the all said they thought BB-8 was cool.

22. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

I think the sockets are somewhat universal...

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  24. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

BB-8 may not be built for use as a starfighter droid or the slots may have changed.

I couldn't guess as to how he might stay attached to the hull of a ship like Artoo, I'd wager some clever boffin in the design department could come up with an explanation if the need arises.

He might not be an astromech at all. Or designed of purposes similar to am astromech. Perhaps this type of droid is designed to play with, and watch over, children (an amped up nanny cam) and Rey simply kept hom around and added enhancements over the years. He might be a one-off design in the GFFA - perhaps Rey built him herself years ago when in a situation with good resources and equipment.

I've asked this before but I can't find it in this thread ... is there any information or rumours on BB-8's size or can anyone judge from the trailer?

25. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    BB-8 is obviously fitted with some type of device that will not only give him traction but will mean he can probably 'jump' as well. We have tractor beams and repelling devices so it would not seem untoward that BB-8 has a miniature version in his innards. How else is he going to get up stairs or change direction on a slippery floor?

Hoggsquattle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.