main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Droid - BB-8

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    littlewaves

I understood that you intent was humour, I just didn't get the joke. ;)

It is obvious, now, of course. :)

Doesn't the male symbol always have to point the arrow to the upper right? Does the symbol pointed upright have another meaning? My intent is also not serious, just asking. ;)

2. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    I'll settle for that. You understand me better than my girlfriend!

Yeah I was being lazy. What I should have done was find a still from the celebration TFA panel when they brought him out and whizzed him round but couldn't keep him anything like upright!

3. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    There will never be understanding - at best you can hope to achieve partial acceptance. You'll see these these clear as you get older. :)

[​IMG]

I thought maybe there was another joke in it. ;)

Krueger likes this.
  4. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    oh I see.[face_blush]
    I'm a little slow today.

Well I guess the poor little fella was a bit too nervous to perform adequately at celebration then! A lot of pressure when so many people are watching!

Oh and how much older do I have to get? I'm pretty old as it is!
    We're talking collect tokens to mail away for Dengar old here.

5. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    littlewaves

Well, in that case you should be old enough to know it yourself..

I apologise for the assumption. ;)

littlewaves likes this.
  6. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Krueger likes this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Their work on Warcraft looks incredible:

[​IMG]

That is pretty close to 100% photo-real. I imagine it will be over 100% by the time the film comes out.

8. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  9. TheForceMakesCoffee

TheForceMakesCoffee Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015

Thought this was pretty cool.

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_rofl] ^:)^ Thank you for posting.

Well there goes my squeaky clean image of BB...:p

EHT, nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  11. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I agree that the rendering is well-done, and the lighting aint bad either. But to me, that looks 0% photo-real.

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    are there photoreal orcs with giant bodies and tiny heads?

13. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    No, but there is photoreal skin (and these orcs seem to have skin that's similar to human skin), there are photoreal animal hides, there are photoreal animal horns/claws, there are photoreal leather buckles, there are photoreal ropes, photoreal skulls, photoreal hide tents, and photoreal ways in which lights interact with objects. And to me, none of those things looks photoreal in this image. Again, it's well done. But CGI just isn't there yet.

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Agreed...they look pretty good but I am not convinced.

Of course, I'm even more bummed about this since my man Rick Baker is retiring. [face_sigh] I knew when he put up his many creatures from the Cineovation shop on the auction block something was up. Heaven knows the man's earned it and he'll keep doing fun projects, but I am bummed. I was hoping he'd do something for this Star Wars trilogy (to bookend the stuff he did for the first SW.)

BB would probably have been just fine as a C.G.I. character, but I'm glad he's practical.

15. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  16. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Not to troll, just expressing my feelings:

I absolutely hate this droid and it's design.

Peace out!

17. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
  18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    "inconceivable!"

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  19. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    You're a tough critic

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  20. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Do forgives if this has already been mentioned, but the last time I viewed this thread there was a majority opinion that BB-8 is Poe's starfighter astromech.

However, it just occurred to me that at the The Force Awakens panel that opened celebration, Oliver Steeples and Lee Towersey showed, and talked about, designing the astromech domes which wouldn't need bodies because they'd be in star fighters and not fully seen.

This, added to the fact that BB-8 seems more like a playful design than a military robot, suggests to me that BB-8 is not Poe's companion, but Rey's sidekick, or at the very least, a character who gets caught up in the adventure early on -though I thing the former is more likely and Rey and BB -8 have been together for some time.[face_thinking]

While I don't share your opinion, I see no need for you to pre-emptively defend yourself against "troll" accusations.

You stated your view honestly and anyone would call you "troll" for that is the actual troll.

That said, Sio Bibble declares your opinions to be OUTRAGEOUS...

[​IMG]

;)

Bullhead CIty and Krueger like this.
  21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Again, this has probably already been mentioned ;) but I was just listening to last week's RebelForce Radio - Jimmy Mac was talking about walking around the TFA exhibits with Dave Filoni and he mentioned this (which I Goolged)

[​IMG]

Not definitive proof that BB-8 is Poe's astromech (Rey or Finn could pilot an X-Wing at some point or BB-8 does belong to Rey but helps out Poe in the final battle) but now I am doubting that my idea that BB-8 isn't a military robot. [face_thinking]

22. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, I too thought BB-8 wasn't a military droid, but after seeing firsthand this X-Wing model with BB-8 in it, I'm convinced that it is indeed a new version of the traditional astromech droid. If BB-8 swoons the younger audience, I'm afraid I foresee him outshining R2 in perhaps every way. Out with the old, in with the new...I suppose!

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  23. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Except (and I forgot this in the post about the X-wing model), the two droid builders showed the designs of more traditional astromech domes at Celebration and specifically said that they domes only for use in starfighters.

Now, this doesn't mean that BB-8 is not a military droid ... ;)

Still very much up in the hair about who he belongs to, but the fact that droids don't often display personality suggests that that BB-8, like Artoo, etc., simply hasn't been wiped in a long time or deliberately programmed to have one. This suggests that he is a civilian's companion, not a military officers flight engineer. [face_thinking]

24. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I really can't see the point in reading far too much into every element of the story. It seems quite simple to me - the "BB" series droids have replaced the old "R" series as the Astromechs of choice, the body of the BBs seems to be more or less the same diameter as the dome of the Rs and they will fit into the sockets of most fighters. BB-8 is assigned to Poe Dameron, they arrive on Jakku together, he loses it to Rey for a while, he gets it back for the final battle and then it gets handed over to Rey at the end.

25. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

How am I reading "too much" into anything? How is your opinion of BB-8's place in the story not reading too much into things?

You seemed to have jumped to an awful lot of conclusions based on very little information. In other than his appearance, nothing is known about BB-8's role.

There is nothing wrong with that, because it is constructive speculation, and it is no different to what I was doing above.

How is questioning who owns BB-8, is he military or civilian, how has he managed to develop a personality if he is military, etc. "reading too much into everything"?[face_dunno]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.