main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Droid - BB-8

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I loved BB8. His mannerisms were great. I wish his beeps/voice was a little better.

2. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I heard a rumor that the "thumbs up" flare had been ripped off from Tomorrowland?
    Anyone can confirm?

3. Bran Kenobi

Bran Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    BB-8's thumbs up got one of the biggest laughs in my audience. I loved this little droid. It was cute without being too cutesy. :bb8head:

The only thing I found a bit frustrating was the lack of mechanic work and exchanges between Poe and BB-8 in the end space battle. I only saw it once, maybe I missed something.

4. Gambit00

Gambit00 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 30, 2014
    I loved BB-8. They way he moves gives him wonderful mannerisms that make seem like more than a droid. I love that Poe calls him "little buddy", that's adorable. You get the sense those 2 have had a lot of adventures together.

5. Hoth Chocolate

Hoth Chocolate Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 21, 2015
    BB-8 was cute as hell and he knew it too, and used it to his advantage. Even watching him in the background you
    could see him doing something humorous. I found myself laughing at the way he was maneuvering down the set of stairs at Maz's castle.

I can't wait to see it again and look for things I missed. He was easily one of the best parts about TFA

EviL_eLF and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Sloth

Sloth Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 8, 1998
    One thing that has bothered me. Perhaps irrationally so.

Ben Burtt is a genius. I put him on a high pedestal. If you look at how he built the sounds for R2D2 for example he studied the sounds of babies and really took extremely great care to develop his emotive sounds.

However I read that BB8 sounds were made by Bill Hader and JJ Abams using an app on JJ's iPad.

I am sorry but ever since I read that I just cant enjoy BB8's sound. In my opinion R2 is the best. He has a "voice".

I cant help but think Ben Burtt, although he is listed here, was marginalized in the editing and mixing process much like John Williams was but wonderboy JJ.

Perhaps I am being to harsh. I wonder if anyone else feels this way.

7. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    Yeah, who cares? I read that along with Hader they also used Jean Ralphio's voice, which makes it awesome.

8. TROR

TROR Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I felt the sound effects were pretty weak, actually. The prequels have such fantastic sounds in them, was hoping for some stuff like that, honestly.

9. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I love BB8 and his mannerisms, but the voice could have been better....

-C

10. Sloth

Jul 8, 1998
    Ben Burtt is the great sound engineer of our time. You are correct even for the prequels the sound design was brilliant. Think of the sounds of some of the new space ships, or the seismic charge.......they are great. Think of the sounds of the Probot, the interrogation droid.....man the list could go on forevere

The sounds of this movie were not as iconic as the sounds of ALL the other movies. That is why I wonder how much of this movie was Burtt and how much was you know who.

11. Sloth

Jul 8, 1998
    To each his own my man but I am going to have to disagree with you there.

I dont equate the iconic sound design created by Ben Burtt to be equivalent to Bill Hader playing on JJ's iPad.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  12. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999

R2 is definitely an iconic sound. But really, who cares how the sounds were created? All I care about is how they sound on film. BB-8's sound works for me but finding out that it was created by humans made it extra cool. I thought it was just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo sounds preprogrammed into a computer.

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thread merge

Sloth - Please don't double post (post back to back). You can quote more than one person per post and you have edit time if you forgot something. Thanks!

14. Sloth

Jul 8, 1998
    why is that a problem?

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It's considered spamming. It's easy enough to quote more than one person per post or edit your posts. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

16. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    BB-8 is such a cute droid! I loved that thumbs up scene. :bb8head:

17. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Did anyone else notice that BB-8 purrs like a cat in a couple of Scenes. For example: when he sticks Finn in the leg. :D

18. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    I was disappointed with BB-8, he didnt do anything cool in the movie.
    He was just following people around for the most part.

19. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    In the final, when Poe is flying inside the Starkiller firing torpedoes, look at the left side of the movie screen, BB8 is ducking down in the back of the Xwing when the torpedoes explode.

20. GG.exe

GG.exe Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2015
  21. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I was totally prepared to turn up my nose at the so obvious "cute" droid cynically made to sell toys and the film to children.

Almost as surprising as how good Daisy was as Rey, was how much I LOVED the little orange ball! Poe and BB-8 4-evah!

22. Celidore

Celidore Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2015
    BB is so cute! It seems a puppy in its behaviour! :p

23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    "move, ball."

Ganger likes this.
  24. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Did anyone else think BB8 was "flipping the bird" at Finn during that scene in the Millenium Falcon? Everyone I saw the movie with thought he was basically giving Finn the middle finger, and I assumed that's why the audience laughed so much. Now, afterwards, I keep reading that he was giving a "thumbs up." But if that's the case, why was everyone laughing so much? It makes the scene so much less funny. With the "flipping the bird" interpretation, it's great because you get this supposedly cute little robot being like, "Don't ever put me in that predicament again, you $#&*." With a thumbs up, it's just mildly cute, but not laugh-out-loud funny.

25. beebee-ate

beebee-ate Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    The origins of BB-8...

[​IMG]

After all, everyone is related to everyone in the SW universe. :D

Heroic BB-8 and MeBeJedi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.