main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Droid - BB-8

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    The most impressive thing about BB8 was how much emotion it managed to convey.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  2. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    No.

OZQUAD44 and Bobatron like this.
  3. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Well, it turns out you're wrong... other people DID think that. I spoke to one today as a matter of fact.

4. MilesEdgeworth

Dec 22, 2015
    So people actually thought that a robot that is marketed towards kids was flipping somebody else the bird in this movie?

5. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I love BB8. Only thing I hated was the thumbs up to Finn. Too Pixar for me.

6. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    But if he was flipping him off, would you have loved it? ;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999

YES! :p

8. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    If this is better merged into another thread, please do so, but I felt the need to finally state this clearly:

BB-8 is Poe Dameron's droid, not Rey's!

There are many official Star Wars toys out there where BB-8 is being sold in with Rey, which creates a misleading and false piece of information about the story. And worse yet, official movie descriptions of The Force Awakens present phrases like "A scavenger and her droid..."

Rey only spent time alongside BB-8 because BB-8 was told to flee by his owner until he would come back for him, and Rey just happened to come across it. It was never her droid and she never wanted it to be; she was trying to get it back to the Resistance.

Why is this being so drastically mis-presented?

Mav Edit: Thread Merge

Dak Oolron likes this.
  9. MilesEdgeworth

Dec 22, 2015
    Because even though bb 8 belongs to Poe It spent most of it's movie time with Rey. So it's easier to market BB8 with her.

10. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    The Milli Falcon agrees with MilesEdgeworth that it's all a marketing gimmick... BB-8 only ends up with his master, Poe Dameron, at the ending of TFA, but indeed spent most of his time with Rey and Finn, trying to evade capture by the First Order and their allies! :bb8:

11. Zalbaar

Zalbaar Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    Of course it's Poe's, but people watching the film will identify that it's been with Rey and Finn so from a marketing sense it's easier to put it in with them. Also Poe isn't as big a character as the others. All about the money.

12. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Because the lonely scavenger girl and her trusty droid companion is a great visual image and much more marketable than "Fighter pilot and his onboard mechanic", to exaggerate a little.

Force Smuggler and SkooterNB like this.
  13. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    This is interesting. Unlike the PT and OT, where the main "star" droids were seen as something akin to intelligent toasters (sorry R2), with their own personalities, but ultimately bound to be brought, traded and dismantled as human and alien needs deigned, I actually go the impression that BB-8 was Rey and Poe's EQUAL ... Rey rescues him from Teebo with the reason being that "(Teebo) respects no-one" ... implying to be anyway, that BB-8 is a sentient, non-carbon based non-organic being in his own right. Ditto for the 'spy jedi droid" or whatever, in Maz's place.

Threepio was still a bumbling comic-relief servant in comparison...

So to answer the question:

BB-8 "belongs" to nobody. He is his own droid, who happens to be a good friend and colleague of Poe and a new friend of Rey.

Poe/BB-8 shipping may commence ;)

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  14. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

No master? But I've never seen such disloyalty in a droid before...

15. pupuce

pupuce Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 10, 2016
    bb8 seemed to have a huge " crush " on Poe. I love how bb8 was rushing to see him. So cute. I agree that bb8 is associated with rey for the toys because of the begining of the movie and it's the only reason. Because at the end bb8 is a lot with Finn too. By the way, bb8 told poe that Finn saved him and completed poe's mission. bb8 didn't even mention Rey to Poe, to the point that Finn had to say, he didn't do it alone to Poe.

Next move BB8 will be more with Poe and Finn,so bb8 should be with their figurines.

16. thescavenger

thescavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    Speaking of BB-8-Rey-Poe, who do you think she'll be with in the next film or so? It'd be great to see more of Poe and BB-8 interaction without the threat of the First Order looming, but equally so with BB-8 and Rey developing more of their new friendship from TFA.

Anyways, I'm supporting for more interaction with BB-8 and Finn. Their relationship is underrated, progressing from how she thought Finn stole Poe's jacket to lying for him to Rey.

17. pupuce

pupuce Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 10, 2016

Since Rey is gone with R2 and chewie, she 'll be mostly with them. But bb8 will be with Poe and Finn. I really liked how bb8 and Finn 's relationship developped. Fist BB8 didn't like him at all; She was the only one to get cautions et suspicous at him . Then she started to trust him to complimented him to Poe at the end.. I love how she comes to try to help Finn taking care of chewie,but back off because of chewie not being nice.

So my guess is that bb8 will be with Poe and Finn mostly in the next movie.

thescavenger likes this.
  18. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    It gets worse. Not only does the toy packaging give BB-8 to Rey, it packs Poe with TR-8R.

Poe: "Hey! Hey! Yeah, you! Not only do you give my droid to some girl I've never met, you put me with this—"

TR-8R: "Traitor!"

Poe: "That is all he ever says! You need to fix this. We need a —"

TR-8R: "Traitor!"

Poe: Was I talking to you? I just want my DROID!

This deal keeps getting worse all the time.

19. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Having machines, like the droids, that are reasonably compassionate and a man like Vader who becomes a machine and loses his compassion was a theme that interested me. - George Lucas - Annotated Screenplays

Much like HAL in 2001.

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  20. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
  21. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Just double-checked.....Rey did not take BB8 with her when she goes to Luke at the end of TFA. Just R2.

Rhyoth, Dak Oolron and AmySolo like this.
  22. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Perhaps because it's a tradition that Star Wars toys are labelled inaccurately, here are some examples from the OT days:

R5-D4 - Somebody at Kenner apparently misread a "2" for a "5" because the buckethead cousin of Artoo-Detoo was clearly identified by Luke and Threepio as an "R2 unit" (which is also what Red Leader called his "R5" in a scene deleted from the film)

Walrus Man - was the title card for the alien butt- or spiderface character who started the fight with Luke ("Ponda Baba") but in fact "Walrus Man" was the cantina and Mos Eisley alien dressed in that red Imperial uniform (probably Imperial Merchant Service)

Zuckuss & 4-LOM - had their names originally swapped on the ESB Kenner action figure title cards. This mistake was later rectified.

Rebel Trooper - is still the name for Leia's Royal Alderaanian Guard (according to the 1977 Lucas Notes), although it could be argued that it's actually the uniform of the Imperial Senate Guard by the time of ANH and members of Leia's guard are simply wearing it.

23. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    #WheresPoesBB8

Chewies_bandolier and AmySolo like this.
  24. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Poe likes giving his stuff away. The jacket, the droid... :p

Force Smuggler and AmySolo like this.
  25. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015

I am so upset you didn't start your reply with:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.