main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Effects Up

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ellbobin, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Hi everyone just thought I'd tell you that my new effect test things are up

popcorn-pro.tk

Just go to the video section and right click and save target as. For the lightsaber test go to the secret discoverd section.

Hope you like?

2. Noobie_Wan_Kenobi

Noobie_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2004
    You shouldn't use that huge gif-animation. Think about the people with dial-up connection. It was slow on my DSL. I'm downloading right now. The only clip I could get, offendors.avi. But I'm downloading at 2kbps. [face_shocked] That's to slow! About 15 minutes for 1.85MB is unhealthy. :p And to be honest. The site wasn't that good. And the images I've seen looked bad. But I guess you're new at this. So just keep on working and you'll be better on it. :)

Editing when I've seen the clip.

Edit: Hmmm... Don't know what to say about that clip... Let's just say that I didn't like it and leave it with that. It was not worth the download time.

3. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    I know the download time sucks! but thats what you get with damb freewebs! I am new to this and I'll soon be changeing the gif to a flash. The best clips are the new ones under videos and they download alot faster.

4. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Well, of the four videos listed in the "videos" section, only one is actually there to download.. the others are either 404 or your server connection just likes going down all the time.

First off.. you need a better camera and capture equipment.

Second.. Learn a thing or two about compression.. 4MB+ for a six-second clip is utter madness. At that rate, a five-minute short film would be 200MB+, and nobody will download it.

Now, onto the three clips that I was able to download:

The "Agent Dodge": You got the basics of the effect down, but you need more instances of the person dodging.. a single "echo" doesn't quite cut it there, you need at least six or eight. Also, the echo wasn't composited very well.. there were parts of your actor missing due to whatever method you used to composite him. The compression on this bit was the worst (this is the 4MB, six-second clip). You need to speed the footage up, as well.. the agents in the "Matrix" films never dodged at normal speed. And also, there are several seconds of black screen at the beginning of the clip that do nothing but add to the download size. Five seconds in any editing program could have fixed this. And you need a better camera.

The "Lightsaber Fight": It's generally not a good idea to have kids do lightsaber fights, unless you're going for a specific effect (Kid Wars, for example). The lightsaber effect was very poorly done.. very little effort was put into actually getting the effect to follow the practical sabers (to the point where the effect comes completely off of both sabers at several points during the fight). Even for the parts when they (mostly) follow the props, they're far too jittery. My suggestion would be to NOT try to jury-rig a way of doing this effect, but to use established techniques to create the sabers. I myself love to come up with my own methods for doing things, but even I use Ryan's saber technique, because it's fairly simple and it works. And you need a better camera.

The "CG Shot": Not entirely sure what this is supposed to be. You are aware there are public models of various SW spaceships up for download at various websites like Sci-Fi 3D, right? For the first shot in this clip, your landing platform looks like it's about to fall over. Your background plate was shot flat, yet you're trying to make it look like a perspective shot by looking at the platform from above. Doesn't work. The ship in this shot appears to be about fifteen-twenty feet in diamter. The next shot, the ship appears to be about two or three thousand miles in diamter, as it's coming from behind a planet (it IS a planet, right?) like some sort of monsterous mothership. For CG visual effects, it's usually a good idea to find or make models that have some semblance of detail to them, as well as realistic textures. And little things like anti-aliasing, motion blur, proper lighting, shadows, proper animation, frame rate, compositing, live-action blending.. these are all necessary ingredients to any CG shot, and are all missing from your clip. To say it looks like a fake CG shot would be a gross understatement.

I'm not sure what the end result of this project is meant to be, but I would suggest spending a lot more time learning the software and techniques to create these effects. Did I mention you need a better camera? I'm fairly certain this isn't a digital recording source, but I can't quite decide if it's old VHS or old webcam. If your skill in directing, cinematography, and acting is anything like your skill in visual effects, I doubt you'll find much appreciation for this film beyond your friends and family. And if they enjoy it, I would suggest not allowing them to view any of the fanfilms hosted on TFN for comparison.

Maybe it's a wee bit harsh, but you wanted honest opinions, good or bad. I wouldn't hold my breath for good responses, though. Now I'm fully aware that everybody has to start somewhere, and that my own very early visual effects weren't much better. But I didn't post anything online until I'd worked my way

5. BetaHacker

BetaHacker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2004
    while it is harsh i have to agree. You need to work on just about everything. And you need a better camera. Just keep going though you will get it eventually.

6. JaredE

JaredE Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2003
    i wouldnt know because GeoCities Sucks... None of the links are working

7. Tech_Krill

Tech_Krill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Hey, I thought it was cool ;)

The Agent Dodge was the best clip I saw (neither of the clone clips wanted to download...hmm...), just echo him a few more times and it should look cool...and yes, try a different transfer mode. Looked somewhat strange, parts of the shirt disappearing and whatnot...

Nice little saber twirl in the "Use the Force" clip... :) Too long of an intro though, holding your hand out for no reason. :)

Nice start, keep at it, you'll be Ryan Wieber in no time :)

8. Mic_Bob_Chapwell

Mic_Bob_Chapwell Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2004
  9. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    Thanks, I think. By the way I am only 13 and most of the clips were done a year or so ago. I have only just got them online. The 3D-stuff isn?t all that good but the only program I can work and afford is C4D which isnt the best program in the world. The clones are my best work, but that?s geocites for you, I cant find anything better. How do I get the compression size down with out reducing the quality?

10. TAAKIN_GRAND-MOFF

TAAKIN_GRAND-MOFF Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2004
    lol at jedi2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.