main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New Empire and Rebellion Book Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I will say I do like the color scheme of the cover.

StarWarsZombie likes this.
  2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, the cover looks like it was done on the ultracheap. But at least Han doesn't looks as fakily photoshopped as Leia did.

3. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    I dunno, his head looks photoshopped onto his body.

4. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Not really. But Leia's head was pretty obviously shopped onto another body.

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I am considering whether or not to straight up buy these on hardback or just bide my time and read them from the library. I'm not psyched for them like I am for Kenobi, even though I am more happy to read these than I will be for Crucible. I probably won't buy these hardback but if I'm feeling impatient and loose with my money, who knows? I'll probably wait for the reviews to come in. I've always wanted to read a solo Luke book and solo Leia book during this timeline; Han gets all the focus...Scoundrels, for starters, and even Allegiance and Choices of One seemed to focus on him most out of the Big 3. The only Luke/Leia book from this time is really Splinter of the Mind's Eye, but I really liked Leia's scenes in Allegiance so I am hoping for something like that for Razor's Edge.

6. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Blurb now here for Honor Among Thieves:
    Nebula and Hugo Award nominees Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck-writing as James S. A. Corey-make their Star Wars debut in this old school, action-packed, Space Opera epic. This brand-new, classic adventure stars the irrepressible Han Solo and his new friends, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia Organa, just after the destruction of the Death Star in Star Wars: Episode VI A New Hope!

When a rebel spy needs extraction from under the nose of the Empire, who better to send than master smuggler, Han Solo? But rescuing a friendly spy is just the start of a wild adventure as the intel the spy uncovers leads Han and Leia to an ancient and deadly secret that threatens to be the Empire's ultimate-and likely successful-weapon against the Rebel Alliance. Add in the chance to lose Luke Skywalker to this horrific threat, and Han and Chewbacca may have finally met a trap even they can't escape…

7. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Going back to Right after ANH? Come on, that time is getting ridiculous. it's starting to look like you need to choose which stories you want to include. Mind you, I don't mind excluding the Marvel comics, but just the novels are starting to overlap.

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    For a second there I thought Del Rey was going to do something unique and put stories in the 2-3 ABY period, but then I remembered this was Del Rey and it suddenly all made sense.

I am really hoping for the sixth or seventh version of the evacuation of Yavin Base, cause that never gets old. :oops:

--Adm. Nick

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And another superweapon?

cdgodin, Reaper63 and Gorefiend like this.
  10. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I second the motion. I have no problems with this book taking place right after ANH if it focused on some of those characters who were introduced in Death Star and had survived the station's destruction. Same thing if we were dealing with whatever squadron was the top Rebel squadron at the time. But the Big 3/4? Come on.

Reaper63 likes this.
  11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    GUYS 2 ABY EXISTS.

Anyway, I like spies, I like ancient secrets, but I'm not sold on yet another superthreat.

Also, it's starting to bug me that after these books were marketed as single-character-focused tales, it turns out they're just more big three ensemble pieces. I've got enough big three ensemble stories to beat a horse to death. I was hoping I could get some solo adventures that would actually explore a new dynamic.

cdgodin and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's probably not *right after* ANH...promotional material isn't to be trusted. That just places it between the films. Let's actually look at context when the novel comes out.

After all, there's nothing in the summary that says anything about Yavin base or the evac.

But yeah, color me a trifle unimpressed by the summary there. A big threat, huh? yawn. Especially when it's set. Double yawn.

Reaper63 likes this.
  13. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I read an interview with the author of the upcoming Luke book. In it he says that he only knows the movies and hasn't read any of the comics or books. He also said that Del Rey specifically looked for authors that are not familiar with the EU material for those three books (i.e. the Leia and Han books too). So, the Han book being set right after ANH and probably conflicting with other stuff is not a surprise to me. It leads me to think that DR has abandoned EU continuity.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well I do think I remember someone from Lucasbooks saying the authors in this series had pretty free range to write whatever stories they wanted. And I wouldn't worry about continuity, since they have people like Chee to make sure most of the story fits.

15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    This; and besides, "immediately after" ANH seems to mean in this universe "anywhere between now and 1 ABY."

16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Will these books be paperback or hardcover. Because I will only be buying these in paperback (even if I have to wait a year).

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hardcover. And I'm with you there. Grumble grumble.

cdgodin and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Hardcover. I don't mind waiting a year, either...if I can read it at the library soon after release. If I can't then I buy it.

19. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Well, I hope you guys are right and I'm not. I hope that LB comes out and says that these 3 books will fit into existing continuity just fine...and that turns out to be true. I hope that they'll mention Sword of the Jedi is still coming out next year. I hope that they announce SOMETHING about how the ST will affect existing EU sometime soon. I'm getting tired of wondering.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Just like the Battle of Hoth for video games, certain elements of the timeline are like rites of passage for the EU-
    Death Star Plans
    Evacuating Yavin
    Vader learning Luke Skywaker's name
    Finding Hoth
    Boba Fett falling into/escaping the Sarlaac

21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I like the way Choices of One does this–because they don't find Hoth, they find the snowspeeders they use on Hoth!

Reaper63 likes this.
  22. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Todd the Jedi Revanfan1 Ah poop. I was hoping to read these sometime some after their release. Why does Del Rey release everything in hardback. :(

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Because their profits have gone down after e-books became popular. To get more money on their hardcopies, they sell hardcovers first and then release the paperbacks a year or so later. So you can blame it on Kindles. :p

24. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    The only book this year I considered buying hardcover for are, Scoundrels, Crucible (mostly because it would look nice on a shelf with my other post-NJO stuffs), and Kenobi (because I know that book will be awesome).

25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Kenobi and Into the Void are the only ones I'll buy hardback this year. Well, we'll see once this series come out if I can wait or not based on reviews.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.